Home Forums General Discussion Juicing up the juicer!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

Hi all,

So my uncle bought me a brand new Jack LaLanne juicer for Christmas.  Long story short, it was too heavy to bring it home for Christmas and I had a ride for Thanksgiving, so here it is, in my kitchen in New York!  My uncle had evidentally been watching informercials and was amazed 😯 by Jack LaLanne and his supposedly miraculous juicer.  He thought of me cause of my health problems so now I have a big fat juicer in my little tiny New York City apartment.

I'm kind of excited about it, even though I've never seen the infomercial.  For one, I'll definitely use it for my lemon detox drinks (you're supposed to use the whole lemon, right?).  But I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what to juice for arthritis/inflammation type problems.  I already found out that carrot/ginger/apple drinks are DELICIOUS and also are supposedly good for the stomach as well, which may help with my doxy nausea problem. 

The juicer is sort of an eyesore and it takes a long time to clean up (no dishwasher here in NYC except me and my hubby), so I don't know how long I'll be juicing for, but for now its sort of fun!

Anyone else have experience with juicing? Please share fun recipes! 🙂

tbird2340
    Participant

I'm not, yet.. But I've always wanted one! I'll wait to see everyone's replies and I'll be sure to tell my wife it's your fault when I insist on having one! 😉

davew
    Participant

Sounds great! Now I am jonesin' for one…:dude:

Dave

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Tainabell,

I can remember when I first bought my juicer (Compact) I juiced everything in sight, it was so much fun. I gave it to my hubby as well, but he used to complain of an upset tummy, like everything I do I start with a bang instead of slowly does it :roll-laugh:. Now I just do the easy stuff like celery, carrots, beetroot, garlic, apple, also pineapple and cucumber is good for inflammation. I use a book called “Raw Juices can save your life” by Sandra Cabot and also the internet for recipes.

I do enjoy the juices in the morning, but hate the cleaning too :?……….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

tainabell
    Participant

I just looked up that book and it looks awesome!  I asked my family for Amazon.com gift certificates for Christmas and I already have about three hundred things I want to buy if I get them.  I'll guess I'll just add “Raw Juices Can Save Your Life” to the list!

Today I made a “green drink”, like that one that Dr. Oz showed how to make on Oprah.  It had….

apple, parsley, spinach, cucumbers, ginger, celery, lemon, and lime

It was good, although I have to admit, it was not as tasty as my first apple carrot ginger drink.  BUT I need to eat more veggies, and I was hating trying to stuff salad into my diet, so maybe green juicing might be a good way to get all those veggie vitamins and minerals my body needs!  I still have leftover vegetables from the “green drink” so I'll make a different combo tomorrow.  More apple makes it more sweet, I've learned…plus I know that apples have quercetin in them, which is supposed to be good for hives.  So we'll see!

orchid
    Participant

We bought a juicer this summer. We use it to make Dr Oz's green drink, but haven't used it for much else yet. It's big but pretty easy to clean and chops carrots and apples, etc like crazy!

Have fun with your new juicer!

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Jack LaLanne looks fabulous for his age !!!!–We should all get juicers !!!!
    richie

Patti D
    Participant

Jack Lalane had a house here is Wisconsin, not to far from where Trudi lives.Trudi, he lived by Brookfield Square. He was a bit of a celebrity but I am sure he kept his youth by getting out of Wisco for the winter!
    Stay warm!!
    Patti

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Tainabell, I don't experiment very much with mine at the present, so please let me know your recipes so I can try them, the more veg the better, and I don't get enough either…………Annie

P.S. I have just recently read that people on RA diet should avoid apples, can't remember why now or where I read it!.

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Maz
    Keymaster

Geez…wish I had luck with my Jack Lalane juicer. I had to take it back, because it was just such a pain to use…too many parts to assemble and clean after every use and the small amount of juice that seemed to come from countless fruits and veggies I put through the derned thing. I wonder why I had such bad luck with mine?

Years ago, we invested in a Vitamix blender and it's been the best thing since sliced bread (which few of us here eat anymore :crying:)!!!! Doesn't get rid of the pulp, but sure does make nice juices that can be strained and hot fresh soups.

Hmmm….maybe it's just because I'm an impatient Aries type with technical stuff…

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=807]Rockin Annie[/user] wrote:

P.S. I have just recently read that people on RA diet should avoid apples, can't remember why now or where I read it!.

Oh, Annie…say it ain't so! What next, eh? What happened to “An apple a day…?”

Peace, Maz

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Maz, I have to agree I love apples and eat them daily, just wondered why apples should be avoided.

I also can't be bothered with technical equipment, I leave that to hubby, but love my juicer, its so easy and I do all my frozen fruits in it as well, to make mango and berry icies, which we have on hot sticky nights by the pool, mmm.! oh yes might do that tonight………….:roll-laugh:…Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Like most things, those statements encompas a one-size-fits all approach. And it ain't so. If you are sensitive to salicylates, then red-skinned apples are okay. The green ones are very high in them. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Like most things, those statements encompas a one-size-fits all approach. And it ain't so. If you are sensitive to salicylates, then red-skinned apples are okay. The green ones are very high in them. Lynnie

Thanks Lynnie, that must have been what I was looking at, thank goodness red skinned apples are ok, as they are the ones I eat.

Also tinned tuna & almonds is not on the allowed list, would this be a mistake?

Thanks in advance…………..Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Annie –  Almonds are very high in salicylates. For those who are salicylate sensitive (or those who've been on high salicylate medications over the long term, or those who want to find out sensitivity issues by elimination) the following may be useful:

In terms of salicylates in nuts, cashews are the lowest, but I was told to go easy. Pistachios, macadamias, pine nuts, peanuts are moderate – more occasional eating and just a few. 

The best fruits for salicylate-sensitive are: peeled pear, red tipped or organic bananas (all others are treated with pesticides which are full of salicylate). Less frequently, mango, paw paw/papaya, unpeeled pear and red or golden apples – which are moderate in salicylates.

Best veg for salicylate sensitive are: peeled white potatoes, lettuce, celery, cabbage, swede, green beans, brussel sprouts, green peas, leeks, shallots, chokos. Moderate (so eat more occasionally) are broccoli, sweet potato, carrot, beetroot, pumpkin, cauliflower, sweet corn, spinach. Vegetables high in salicylates are tomatoes (really a fruit anyway), radish, capsicum, mushroom, olives, eggplant, cucumber, broad beans, alfalfa sprouts. 

I was told tinned tuna (and any canned fish) an absolute no-no, due to preservatives (probably sulphites) but all fresh fish and seafood is okay. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ Juicing up the juicer!’ is closed to new replies.