Home Forums General Discussion Juicing up the juicer!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

[user=781]1Aggie[/user] wrote:

I have one of those juicers in my closet too Maz.  I'm with you, too much trouble for a little bit of juice and $$$ of veggies/fruits.  I rarely get it out now but maybe I should consider the lemon detox drink using it, but then again, I will be an hour cleaning the darn thing for one lemon!!! Ha Ha!  I know juicing is supposedly great.  Maybe I'll drag it out of the closet again……

Hi Aggie,

I just make my lemon and olive oil detox drink in the blender and then strain off the pulp the old fashioned way with a metal strainer. I know it's probably not as pure as a juicer, but works for me.

….although, must say Patti's handy little contraption sounds excellent, too! Thanks for the tip, Patti!

Peace, Maz

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have an even simpler way, my hubby does mine :roll-laugh:, I couldn't resist!.

Really though, would love the tool that Patti is talking about, is it a hand held blender, if so I have one?…….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Maz,Tainabelle;
           Leftover pulp from veggies can be used in soups .Either a cream soup if you are o.k with dairy or a meat broth.Just put the leftover pulp into a container and freeze it until you have enough to make a nice big pot.Nothing goes to waste in this house.
                      Lynne

Patti D
    Participant

Hi All,
    The magic bullet can be purchased at Amazon.com.Free shipping right now too. They also have there own website at buythebullet.com.
    This is a wonderful little gift for those college kids as well.

Maz,
    The blender????? All that cleaning. You must be feeling really good.
    smiley face!!! Just thought I would ask this one, are limes good for anything? Can't sneak margaritas anymore unless they qualify for something to be juiced???

Annie,
    Way too funny. Your husband is a real gem!!

Happy days!

Patti

Butterfly
    Participant

Hi. I've been juicing for 3 months. I go to publix and ask the produce guy in the back for a 25 pound bag of organic carrots (14.99) I use about 25-30 a day for 6, 8 oz glasses per day. The carrot juice has beta carotenes which heal your body. I'm just learning that food heals your body (and certain foods can kill your body).

If you really want to know the truth about nutrition, you can read “The China Study”, by T. Colin Campbell and also, “The Hallelujah Diet”, by George Malkmus. These two books were real eye openers for me.

About you stomach problems….

I feel very fortunate also, that my M.D., who is also holistic and alternative, had me read “Why Your Body Needs Stomach Acid”. He tested my stomach and I have no hydrochlric acid.  The body needs hydrochloric acid to digest food and draw nutrients from it. He started me on appropriate hydrochloric acid capsules and enzymes I take with every meal and I feel 35-40 percent better!

I'm afraid a conventional Dr may have put me on an acid blocker. This would have made me feel better by covering the symptoms. In the mean time, I looked up my condition on line and the low hydrochloric acid over the years has lead to stomach tumors and cancer. So while I was on an acid blocker feeling better treating the symptom, the root cause keeps going and my body is possibly making cancer.  so again, I'm fortunate to have a Dr that is treating root causes and not just covering up symptoms.

And this condition is prevelant, according to the above book and worsens as you age.  So, I hope this is all interesting, but more than that, informing you of other treatments for stomach problems.  I feel obligated to pass it on. 

good luck with your juicing. By the way I wont always juice 6-8 glasses a day, but I am in healing my body mode right now. Ialso take 3 tbs of a complete sourse of plant protien called “Barley Life” every day that  my above Dr started me on. I'll eventually reduce the amounts  after I see (through my lab values) that I am in remission. Your uncle has done you a big favor! And I know it is a complete mess to juice! I've actually cried over that.

One thing I did to help me is got a large “slop” bucket, I put the pulp in,.Then, when it is convenient for me, I empty it outside in my next door neighbor's compose pile. anyway good luck with everything.

tainabell
    Participant

All this juicing conversation is priceless!  Funny and helpful, too!  😛 Maybe I should get one of those magic bullets too – I love gadgets as seen on TV.

As for my own personal juicing progress, I did indeed make the lemon detox drink (threw in two limes actually cause I only had one lemon, plus seltzer water, plus sugar) and it was delish!  So so sour, which I love, but then I started worrying about too MUCH stomach acid.  Oh well, I guess I'm going to worry no matter what the heck I'm eating, I might as well just make things I like. 

I found a nifty juicing website with the old google machine. 

http://www.healingdaily.com/juicing-for-health/juicing-recipes.htm

Its a cool one – it also has some funky kidney/colon cleanses on it.  The kidney cleanse is to sit in a bathtub and eat 20 to 100 lbs of watermelon!  Seems kind of funny to me, but I'm always up for a watermelon/bathtaking party. :roll-laugh:

One more thing – I have yet to use the pulp to make something like a soup or muffins, but I'm dying to.  Problem is I always want to cram everything into my juicing and you have to stop and remove the pulp one at a time if you want to separate it(unless you want to make spinach/carrot/ginger/parsley muffins, instead of the standard).  But I'll update you all when I do….

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

Maz,
    The blender????? All that cleaning. You must be feeling really good.
    smiley face!!!

Tee hee…I know! Still a pain to clean the blender, but that juicer must have had 6 or 8 parts to assemble and disassemble each time. It was a real pain when I had sausage fingers and was trying to eat healthy. I like my old Vitamix, though…so powerful…makes tremendous soups with fresh veg you just throw in and it heats it up to boot. I do like simple, though….definitely the Aries side of me. Just can't stand contraptions…like cellphones. I still don't know how to use it properly! :roll-laugh:

Hope you're doing okay, Patti!!! I'm doing pretty well, though for some unknown reason had a rough day today…just that nasty overall malaise-like feeling and must have slept on my arm in a weird way last night. These days are only once or twice a month now, so really can't complain. This feels like a herx, so I'll probably wake up tomorrow like nothing happened. You know the drill. 😉

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

[user=855]Butterfly[/user] wrote:

If you really want to know the truth about nutrition, you can read “The China Study”, by T. Colin Campbell and also, “The Hallelujah Diet”, by George Malkmus. These two books were real eye openers for me.

Butterfly, I read the China Study about 6 months ago and it was, without a doubt, the best book on nutrition I've ever read, and I've read a lot.  It totally changed the way I eat. I bought about 6 copies for family members.  I firmly believe nutrition is just as important, maybe even a little more, than the abx.  After all, boosting our immune system is what is going to keep us well after the bugs are beaten down.

I juice too and agree the clean-up is tedious, but I put a plastic bag (like produce comes in) in the container that catches the pulp, so that's one less part to clean. 😉

A Friend
    Participant

Butterfly,

So good to have you here and read your post about your journey so far.  I can identify with much you have written and  your experiences.  Especially, thanks for the recommendation of the two books. 

Hope you are going to come here and post often so we can learn more from you.  That's the reason many of us are here, too:  we feel compelled to share what we've learned from experiences that may help others to avoid, or overcome, things we've learned about.  We are all different, but often there are things many of us have in common. 

Thanks again,

AF

tbird2340
    Participant

Soooo after seeing the Jack Lalanne juicer infomercial about 4 times this weekend it got me jones'n to buy a juicer again.. I'm just worried I'll drop $100 – $300 and use it for a week and then never again..

Tainabell are you still using yours? How often? Do you feel any better doing it? (more energy, any difference at all)??

Thanks, Tom

tainabell
    Participant

I have been using it every day and am addicted!  Actually, thanks for updating this thread Tom, I've been meaning to do it myself.

I juice some combo of kale, cucumbers, celery, apples, lemons, and ginger every day.  Sometimes I throw in a bit of lettuce or carrots or something else.  Last night I made lemonade with leftover lemons and it is delish!  Today there was a sale – 5 grapefruits for $2 so I'm going to make grapefruit juice tonight.  Warning on the veggie drink that I mentioned above though: one day I didn't have any apples so I made it without and it tasted kind of gross.  The apples really sweeten it up. 

I sort of have a system now with the cleaning.  I think it was Annie who recommended to put in a plastic bag in the place where the pulp flies so you can just take it out and throw it away without having to clean that piece.  That was a great tip!  After that it takes me probably about five minutes to clean the rest of the juicer.  Its not negligible time, but its also not as time consuming as I first made it out to be in my head. 

I calculated that I spend about $20 a week on veggies for the juicer, which is also kind of a bummer and expensive, BUT the good news is that I'm putting those veggies in my body and my husband's body!  So I think its probably worth the cost. 

As for whether or not I'm feeling better, like I said elsewhere, I'm not sure if its placebo or not, but drinking that big glass of juice makes me feel like a million bucks!  Not sure if its curing my arthritis or Lyme but it sure does make me feel healthy and proactive.

tbird2340
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

I have been using it every day and am addicted!  Actually, thanks for updating this thread Tom, I've been meaning to do it myself.

I juice some combo of kale, cucumbers, celery, apples, lemons, and ginger every day.  Sometimes I throw in a bit of lettuce or carrots or something else.  Last night I made lemonade with leftover lemons and it is delish!  Today there was a sale – 5 grapefruits for $2 so I'm going to make grapefruit juice tonight.  Warning on the veggie drink that I mentioned above though: one day I didn't have any apples so I made it without and it tasted kind of gross.  The apples really sweeten it up. 

I sort of have a system now with the cleaning.  I think it was Annie who recommended to put in a plastic bag in the place where the pulp flies so you can just take it out and throw it away without having to clean that piece.  That was a great tip!  After that it takes me probably about five minutes to clean the rest of the juicer.  Its not negligible time, but its also not as time consuming as I first made it out to be in my head. 

I calculated that I spend about $20 a week on veggies for the juicer, which is also kind of a bummer and expensive, BUT the good news is that I'm putting those veggies in my body and my husband's body!  So I think its probably worth the cost. 

As for whether or not I'm feeling better, like I said elsewhere, I'm not sure if its placebo or not, but drinking that big glass of juice makes me feel like a million bucks!  Not sure if its curing my arthritis or Lyme but it sure does make me feel healthy and proactive.

Thanks for the reply.. Glad to hear you are still keeping to it.. Like I said.. I'm afraid of dropping the dough and then doing it for a week and saying forget it (almost like every time I buy exercise equipment 🙁 ).

So are you happy with the Lalanne juicer? If I get one I'm not sure which I'll get.. I've read mixed reviews on that one but I'm not sure i want to spend more on a better reviewed one.. Do you drop whole apples in with no problem just like the commercial?

louris
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

I juice, mostly vegetable juices, every day too.  I think it is money well spent.  What an individual can't account for is the cost of having to pay for health care and medications that the nutrients in the juice help offset.  $20 a week for veggies vs. cost of medication + undesirable acute side effects from medication + potential, unwanted long term adverse health effects from using synthetic chemicals to manage a health condition that could be managed through natural means + cost of potential unnecessary exams and testing.  For example, celery juice can help an individual maintain health blood pressure.  Therefore, if you juice regularly, eat a sensible diet, and engage in some sort of exercise regularly, there is a good probability that you can avoid meds for high blood pressure.  Do enough research, and you can find all kind of ways juicing can benefit your health.

Additionally, if I miss more than one day without live, fresh juice, I notice it.  I'm not sure that it necessarily does anything to help my AS, but it sure gives me a lot more energy, I feel more vibrant, and it is providing enzymes to help support health digestion and GI health (important for us all, regardless of diagnosis).    

tainabell
    Participant

Oh Kim,

Just reread the thread – it was you who suggested the bag for the pulp cleaning.  Sorry – gave credit wrongly to Annie.

Anyways, the Lalanne juicer is just fine.  Like I said, it was a gift so I don't know how much it cost and I also didn't do any research into other juicers.  We've been using it for about two months now though, and we haven't had any problems.  We get a lot of juice from everything we put in there and nothing has broken so far (fingers crossed).  🙂

patchoulee
    Participant

I have a Lalanne juicer and have been using it at least 4 days a week now for 15 months. I LOVE it it's the greatest thing I have purchased I love the parsley, ginger,spinach apple drink the morning. And I make a beat one that is awesome. I couldn't imagine not using it.

Angela

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ Juicing up the juicer!’ is closed to new replies.