Home Forums General Discussion Juicing up the juicer!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

I get kind of confused with all these elimination diets sometimes.  I don't think I'm salicylate sensitive, cause I've been taking Advil for years with no effect.  But still, sometimes I'm like, OH, I should do this diet or that diet, then I start to worry that whatever I'm eating is actually causing all my problems.  The problem is that all the diets clash with each other! 

My doctor recently gave me guidelines for a yeast-free diet, and I took one look at it and was like, nope, I can't do this.  Limit bread, nuts, sugar, even fruits!  Too hard.  Anyways, I love apples. They might be the one thing that I couldn't give up. 

Today I'm going to make a detox lemonade.  Stick two whole lemons in my juicer, then add a little Sugar in the Raw and seltzer water and then drink it after my doxy dose  I love love love lemon, so it should be good….

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Juicing really does me good!  My favorite juice is 10 carrots, 2 stalks celery, 2 cloves garlic and 1/4″ ginger root, parsley.  To this I usually add whatever I have handy like spinach, brocolli, cucumber.  I only juice organic vegetables because I don't want to shoot pesticide residue directly into my bloodstream.

I have a Juiceman juicer and a book called Juicing for Life.  That book has recipes based upon your illness.  It is really good.  I think the author's name (too darned lazy to get up and look) is Cherie Calbum.   She has impressive degrees.

My Juiceman is about as easy to clean as any I have seen.  The parts go in the dishwasher. The opening is not as large as the Lalane juicer and so I have to cut my bigger veggies, but not too much.  I have thought I would replace this juicer with the Lalane but so far, (2 yrs of constant use) it ain't dyin'!  Juicing has really helped my skin. 

Susan

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Don't know why I posted twice.  I only sent it one time.  I don't know how to delete the entire post.  Does anyone? 

A Friend
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Like most things, those statements encompas a one-size-fits all approach. And it ain't so. If you are sensitive to salicylates, then red-skinned apples are okay. The green ones are very high in them. Lynnie

Hi Lynnie, All,

Are Gala apples considered red skin or not?  They have some red on them, but not like the other reds, but wouldn't consider them green, either. 

AF

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thankyou Lynnie……… that was a great help, I have been very good, I think maybe that in combination with everything else is why I feel so good,  love my tin tuna, but will stay clear until I see Dr K in Feb.

I don't know if I am salicylate sensitive, but after your posting a while back I remembered a natropath telling me years again to eliminate foods with Salicylic acid. I didn't really know what she was talking about then, but lucky I kept the notes and understand them a lot more now. 

How are you doing on your diet or should I say new eating way of life? :blush: , and how are you feeling with it? , its amazing how soon you get used to it and stay so strict when you can see results.

Thanks again…………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Tainabell,

I used to get so confused with these different diets also, but I do think that diet plays a big part in how we feel, I have proved it over and over with myself, the more you read the more you learn and every little bit helps and then finally sticks.

I really think its too hard to eliminate all at once. As long as you are eating more good than bad then gradually you will eventually know what not to eat (hopefully, but it took me years) :roll-laugh:.

Your detox lemonade sounds good, I love lemons too, I drink water with lemon added all day long. enjoy!

Susan,

I don't know how to delete a post either, I did the same on the history profile and can't delete it, maybe someone else can help?

A Friend,

I think Lynnie means green cooking apples, or maybe the more greener the more Salicylate?

Have a great day………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

Don't know why I posted twice.  I only sent it one time.  I don't know how to delete the entire post.  Does anyone? 

Hi Susan,

Sorry, but the delete function can only be used by the volunteers. I went to look which one you meant to delete it, but your two posts above look different. Which one did you want removed?

Could be one of the other volunteers already saw the double-up and removed it. If so, please ignore this post. 😉

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Annie, I'm feeling fine and have no problems whatsoever with my new eating way of life. The organic malt-free soy (Australia's own brand) is the best tasting ever. I couldnt go back to dairy now if you paid me – and I have no problem gluten-free. I probably still eat a little too much sugar to my detriment (some gluten-free things are full of it). I've also become a little less rigid now this far down the track on the salicylates in vegetables and eat a wider variety. However, I never eat anything with preservatives or cooked in a sauce.

Interestingly, both my taste buds and my sense of smell have become particularly heightened. I decided to also change to perfume and colour-free skin and hair care and use nothing in the way of household sprays and very little in the way of household chemicals. All these are packed to the gunnels in salicylates (one of the reasons sensitivity is on the increase is that we are completely bombarded with them in everything). I can barely walk into a room with air freshener now (smells awful!) and when I go to the hairdresser, their shampoo smell overwhelms me. Just shows you how absolutely de-sensitised to all these we have become.

I understand Tainabell that dietary information often seems contradictory and I agree it's incredibly frustrating. That is because sensitivities vary with individuals and one size does NOT fit all. BTW – the yeast-free diet your doc suggested may be the  answer for you and your chronic hives. Believe me, what seems hard in the beginning actually isnt a little way down the track. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Oooh I have that juicer its great (heck it's gotta be Jack Lalnne is what like 120 years old? lol…) I make apple carrot juice and zuchinni, celery, and carrot (sounds nasty but try it!) Another thing to my ND tries to get me to eat leafy greens (I really hate them and choke them down) so she suggested juicing them and mixing them in with my juices that I make. I still eat some but I juice them more. I read somewhere that people with scleroderma have problems absorbing nutrients and that juicing is supposed to be great for it…my Juicer came with a little recipe book too

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

that book (Juicing for life) sounds very interesting is there anyhing in htere for scleroderma?

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I agree with Lynnie, I have been dairy gluten soy beef free since June it is really not ba. I have also been eating stricly organic since June. It is hard to get used to initially but now that I am used to it it is not bad at all! There are so many things available now that make these diets easier. My whole family eats this way now (which helps!!) If I can help in any way let me know!

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Annie, I'm feeling fine and have no problems whatsoever with my new eating way of life. The organic malt-free soy (Australia's own brand) is the best tasting ever. I couldnt go back to dairy now if you paid me – and I have no problem gluten-free. I probably still eat a little too much sugar to my detriment (some gluten-free things are full of it). I've also become a little less rigid now this far down the track on the salicylates in vegetables and eat a wider variety. However, I never eat anything with preservatives or cooked in a sauce.

Interestingly, both my taste buds and my sense of smell have become particularly heightened. I decided to also change to perfume and colour-free skin and hair care and use nothing in the way of household sprays and very little in the way of household chemicals. All these are packed to the gunnels in salicylates (one of the reasons sensitivity is on the increase is that we are completely bombarded with them in everything). I can barely walk into a room with air freshener now (smells awful!) and when I go to the hairdresser, their shampoo smell overwhelms me. Just shows you how absolutely de-sensitised to all these we have become.

I understand Tainabell that dietary information often seems contradictory and I agree it's incredibly frustrating. That is because sensitivities vary with individuals and one size does NOT fit all. BTW – the yeast-free diet your doc suggested may be the  answer for you and your chronic hives. Believe me, what seems hard in the beginning actually isnt a little way down the track. Lynnie

Hi Lynnie,

My diet sounds very much like yours, I have always avoided dairy because of my chest problems, so I drink rice milk, I have never tried soy, and haven't started on the household cleaners yet, but have thought about it, I don't know what I would do without my bleach I love the stuff, what would you use to clean the bathroom?

I agree with you about lifestyle eating becoming easier, when I first bought my first elimination diet book I thought to myself, wow,I could never do this, and it was very overwhelming, I read it so many times just to take it all in 😯 now it just comes with the territory.

Like you I am almost sugar free, I loved my lollies, but they are very few and far between now, I don't crave for them anymore and when I buy them for my grandkids I am not even tempted……it certainly does say something for this diet I am on :blush:

Thanks for your update……….Annie

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Hi,

I buy all of my cleaning supplies form the health food store. I use a cleaner that is made with basically parsley and water. Sometimes I just mix vinegar and water too.

1Aggie
    Participant

I have one of those juicers in my closet too Maz.  I'm with you, too much trouble for a little bit of juice and $$$ of veggies/fruits.  I rarely get it out now but maybe I should consider the lemon detox drink using it, but then again, I will be an hour cleaning the darn thing for one lemon!!! Ha Ha!  I know juicing is supposedly great.  Maybe I'll drag it out of the closet again……

Dx with CREST 2/08. minocycline 2x/day M-F, LDN 3mg nightly, 90 mg of Armour thyroid. Probiotics, milk thistle, L-argine, L-lysine, natto + serro, 81mg baby aspirin, daily multiple, 1000mg Vit C, lutein, cinnamon extract, evening primrose oil, omega 3s, Ubiquinol 100mg, alpha lipoic acid and exercise when I can.

Patti D
    Participant

Hey everybody,
    I have an idea for all of you juicers. Get yourself the Magic Bullet, seen on infomercials as well. It is a great little device that takes 10 seconds to pulverize just about anything. And the good news is, the lemon olive oil drink comes out just perfect as the magic bullet is a one serving size and once you take the grinder off, you use the container as the glass.
    It is a sweet little item!!

Patti

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ Juicing up the juicer!’ is closed to new replies.