Home Forums General Discussion Juicing up the juicer!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

I'm sure you COULD throw the apples in whole if you wanted to, but I read somewhere that they have a toxic compound in the pits, so I core them first just to be first.  Also, a tip if you are making veggie juice, I always put in one apple and one lemon.  Otherwise it takes like…(picture little kid making vegetable face). 

While we're on the subject of juicing, I read somewhere that if you juice the same things every day (which I do with the apple and the lemon), its possible to build up an immune response that makes you allergic to them.  Does any juice aficionado or health nut out there know if thats true. I would HATE to develop an allergy to apples, which are one of my favorite foods!

patchoulee
    Participant

I have been juicing for well over a year and use a lemon in every drink sometimes 2 a day and have had no problems. I also throw the apple in whole but only because it's organic I dont' juice anything that isn't organic.

maz.aust
    Participant

[user=807]Rockin Annie[/user] wrote:

Tainabell, I don't experiment very much with mine at the present, so please let me know your recipes so I can try them, the more veg the better, and I don't get enough either…………Annie

P.S. I have just recently read that people on RA diet should avoid apples, can't remember why now or where I read it!.

Hi Annie,

Acccording to my PR GP she said green apples are a no no. red sweet ones are AOK though.  Pears and Mango are really good for RA, so as you live in the far north and have gorgeous fruits you should be eating them by the kilo … lol!!

Edited to put this in:
    Helpful hint – when I use a juicer (which I use every day and have done for over 40 yrs) I always fill the juicer itself and immerse it in cold water; leave it to sit for around 15 min – that way the pith doesn't get hard & stick to the graters etc and it isn't difficult to wash – I can virtually just swish it out and it's ready for use again.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

patchoulee
    Participant

I guess it depends on who you are and what type of illness you have as I am addicted to Granny Smith green apples I bet I either juice or eat about 4-5 a day. I buy a 10lb bag and it lasts a week I have never had a problem with them and I have a large amount of joint pain issues.

maz.aust
    Participant

[user=310]patchoulee[/user] wrote:

I guess it depends on who you are and what type of illness you have as I am addicted to Granny Smith green apples I bet I either juice or eat about 4-5 a day. I buy a 10lb bag and it lasts a week I have never had a problem with them and I have a large amount of joint pain issues.

I never eat red apples either & like you love Granny Smith's, all the rest are far too sweet for my taste buds ….and personally, I don't have a problem with them either.  I guess we are the lucky ones.

Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

All off days Probiotics

tainabell
    Participant

Hey Maz,

Do you juice the same thing every day (for 40 years) as well?  Have you had any problems with allergies?

louris
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

I'm sure you COULD throw the apples in whole if you wanted to, but I read somewhere that they have a toxic compound in the pits, so I core them first just to be first. 

I think the seeds contain cyanide.  I either juice them or eat them.  It is a chemical similar to amygdalin.  Amygdalin, found in apricot kernels/pits, supposedly has anti-cancer properties.  Hasn't harmed me…yet. 😀 

maz.aust
    Participant

[user=854]tainabell[/user] wrote:

Hey Maz,

Do you juice the same thing every day (for 40 years) as well?  Have you had any problems with allergies?

LOL — no way, how boring that would be, I juice whatever I feel like that morning and use lots of in season fruit & veg. and also use lots of limes & lemons (which I have growing in the backyard) for added zing…

Lucky me – the only allergy I have is to eggs…

All off days Probiotics

tarak
    Participant

I have juicer – The Jack Lanne. It is so great. It actually works like the commercial. My husband drinks carrot juice 4 to 5 times a week. He really craves it.

One hint – soft friuts do not work well. I tried strawberries and blueberries and made a big mess:D

tbird2340
    Participant

Well, I'm going to pick this juicer up today from Bed Bath and Beyond: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-JE95XL-Two-Speed-Juice-Fountain/dp/B0001IT0IY

I figure I'll at least get the buying of it out of my system and if I don't like it / use it after a few weeks I can just return it… My wife is rolling her eyes at me though (I tend to buy lots of toys and then forget about them. ;)) I blamed all of you! 😛

So… What are the first things I should try? When do you all juice and how many times a day? For breakfast? With breakfast? Snacks? Etc..

Giddy up!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Maz.aust wrote

Acccording to my PR GP she said green apples are a no no. red sweet ones are AOK though.  Pears and Mango are really good for RA

Same doc as me, Maz. Actually it's about the salicylate content. The green apples and alot of other fruit (including citrus and tomatoes) are a no-no because of their high salicylate content – red skinned apples are lower. Pears (peeled) and mango are not so much good for RA as low in salicylate content, so pretty okay. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tainabell
    Participant

Tom, you're cracking me up! 

Here's my suggestion (from a newbie juicer).  Start off with sweet things to juice….I think I first made a carrot/apple/ginger drink and it was delish.  Then starting juicing green stuff.  Like I said before, I make almost the same drink every day.  I usually make it around 3 o'clock (I work from home), because I am lethargic in the morning.  Its probably better to make it in the morning though.  This is the recipe I use…

1 cucumber/5-10 stalks of celery/about 8 stalks of Kale/1 apple/1 lemon/ 1 inch of ginger

A lot of raw foodists make some variation of that drink every single day.  I got the recipe somewhere on the internet, I can't remember where but if you google “green drink” all sorts of stuff comes up. 

I keep reading that the best thing to juice is leafy greens so thats why I throw the Kale in there.  That's the base of what I make and then I just throw in whatever is leftover in my fridge. This week I had cabbage.  The week before I threw some mint in and it was really delicious. 

tbird2340
    Participant

What is ginger? Stupid question I know but.. What the heck is it?

patchoulee
    Participant

ginger is this ugly root like looking thing it's cheap you just a little until you know you like as it's kind of horseradishey it can get hot. They use it a lot in Chinese cooking but it's good for all kinds of ailments especially stomach upset or any GI troubles. It's cheap and at any grocery store. I only grate it in as it's too hot for me sometimes. But I am a big suck with anything remotely spicey.

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/images/herbs/ginger-root-bsp.jpg

tbird2340
    Participant

Well I figure I'll share my first juicing experience… Bought it on my way home for lunch.. Opened it up, washed it first, and then made my first drink..

2 apples, 1 carrot, and 2 stalks of celery.. It wasn't bad..

So I set about half of it aside in my cup and start cleaning up.. Wash everything, dry everything, and as I'm putting it back together I knock my cup of juice on the floor and it goes all OVER.. Including my work pants..

So, all that work got me a change of pants, a mop of the floor, and being late back to work! :roll-laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ Juicing up the juicer!’ is closed to new replies.