Home Forums General Discussion Juicing up the juicer!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    tainabell
    Participant

Oh no!  Don't let this first bad experience deter you.  I usually just make the juice, separate it into two glasses (one for me, one for the hubby) and then chug it!  That avoids the spillage (usually :roll-laugh:)

That's excepting the cases where I'm making lemonade or grapefruit juice or something that I'm going to store in the fridge.  They say, by the way, not to store veg juices in the fridge because they don'y' keep as well. 

Keep on keepin' on!

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Guys,

All this talk about juicing, I might have to get mine back out again, its been put away since needing the space at Christmas time.

I love to add beetroot too…………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

maz.aust
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Maz.aust wrote

Acccording to my PR GP she said green apples are a no no. red sweet ones are AOK though.  Pears and Mango are really good for RA

Same doc as me, Maz. Actually it's about the salicylate content. The green apples and alot of other fruit (including citrus and tomatoes) are a no-no because of their high salicylate content – red skinned apples are lower. Pears (peeled) and mango are not so much good for RA as low in salicylate content, so pretty okay. Lynnie 

Hi Lynnie,

Stand corrected – thanks, (although I just repeated what she had written down for me)

Maz

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sorry Maz, didnt mean to sound school marmish!!!! I also got a half typed, half scawled thing from her when first I consulted her. Salicylates were mentioned.Then I asked alot of questions – you know how fast she talks! :DLynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

maz.aust
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Sorry Maz, didnt mean to sound school marmish!!!! I also got a half typed, half scawled thing from her when first I consulted her. Salicylates were mentioned.Then I asked alot of questions – you know how fast she talks! :DLynnie

No No Lynnie, I didn't mean it like that;  believe me I am not that subtle when someone has a shot at me….lol

Dr D made a point of telling me to eat lots of mango & pears a few times, and my reply was I don't like pears at all and mangos are too sweet – she told me to squeeze lemon juice on them and eat them …. if I remember rightly it had something to do with taking down the inflammation I was experiencing at the time.  

Anyway I digress – sorry,

Juicing is great – you should start every morning with fresh juice, gets the system going.  I have a couple of really good juice recipe books at home and use them all the time. 

Maz-Aust
    ps – plus I put a teaspoon of cider vinegar in the first glass I have in the morning.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

1Aggie
    Participant

Just read your thread butterfly and we must be going to the same MD here in Florida cause I have read all of the same books and yes they are eye openers!  I would highly recommend the China Study too and I have been doing the vegan, Hallelujah diet too.  Feeling much better.  And ok ok, I even have gotten out my Jack Lalane juicer and have been juicing at least twice a day and adding green drink too.  I will try the plastic bag trick (thanks Kim) to save a little more clean up time but I guess I have to say it is worth it now that I get how important it is.  By the way Tom, it wasn't too expensive, I think about 150.00 and I think it does a fine job and doesn't oxidize the carrot juice I juice for my lunch at work.  I need to schedule the stomach PH test with the MD soon.  I am tempted to just treat myself as if I do have low stomach acid because I do highly suspect that is the case but I suppose that would be foolish on my part.  It is just hard sometimes paying out of pocket when I have good insurance that doesn't mean much when going to alternative MDs.  Thank goodness I found them through this board though cause I really do believe I will see remission!

Dx with CREST 2/08. minocycline 2x/day M-F, LDN 3mg nightly, 90 mg of Armour thyroid. Probiotics, milk thistle, L-argine, L-lysine, natto + serro, 81mg baby aspirin, daily multiple, 1000mg Vit C, lutein, cinnamon extract, evening primrose oil, omega 3s, Ubiquinol 100mg, alpha lipoic acid and exercise when I can.

tbird2340
    Participant

For juicing fruits like lemons, oranges, limes, etc do you have to take the peel off first?

Thanks

tainabell
    Participant

You don't have to take them off, but I've found that it tastes better if you do!

patchoulee
    Participant

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

For juicing fruits like lemons, oranges, limes, etc do you have to take the peel off first?

Thanks

My Lalane book says too remove the peel and just leave the white pith ( fiber) my Lalane books says the peel is too bitter and can make your drink taste too bitter to drink.

I think it depends on your juicer motor strength as I know my mom ruined hers that was not designed for the peel and burnt the motor out,  and your personal taste. I can't drink anything made with the citrus peel left on.. Too bitter.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Here is a link to where I believe the original recipe came from (the keephopealive site) which explains quite alot of detail, including why a blender and role of the pectin in the peel. When blended, bitterness doesnt seem to be a problem.Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

linda
    Participant

I love the Fuji apples, they have a red skin; they're a little sweet, but what I like about them is that they do not get mushy over time. I thought apples had malic acid, which I read somewhere, ages ago, that malic acid was necessary for energy because it's used in the Kreb's cycle, to convert carbs to energy. I used to eat one a day and also take the supplements, and it did seem to help a little bit, but who knows?

Kim
    Participant

Fujis are my favorite too ~ organic, of course. 😉

Trudi
    Participant

Here is a good article in today's paper on juicing.  Also has some recipes–

http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/40120722.html

Many years ago my husband and I gave his mother a VitaMix.  She never used it and now after her passing we have it back.  I think it's time to start it up–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Parisa
    Participant

I love the idea of juicing.  Well, I love the idea of the health benefits of juicing but  not me actually doing the juicing.  I did go out and buy a Breville a couple of days ago.  I juiced carrots, 1/2 an apple and a few beet tops.  Haven't been able to look at the juicer since I drink that.  I think I like reading my juicing recipe book more! Ah theory and practice!

I'm sure you all have some wonderful recipe to share?  I'll have my husband try first though as it'll all be for his own  health.

Mumof3
    Participant

All this talk about juicing made me feel really guilty! I bought a juicer a couple of months ago and haven't used it. In fact, it has been sitting in the laundry room unopened. I finally starting using it last week to make carrot juice and orange juice. Now I am sorry I didn't open it sooner. The juices are awesome! I can't wait for the kids to get home from school to try the O.J.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ Juicing up the juicer!’ is closed to new replies.