Home Forums General Discussion Natural pain and inflammation reliever?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    anewday
    Participant

Dr. F has recommended dh stop taking pain relievers (Tylenol/Asprin/Motrin etc) due to his high liver count. He normally needs to take at least one dose a day, usually at night when his inflammed wrist bothers him most, otherwise he cannot sleep.

Dr. prescribed a natural pain/inflammation herbal supplement. According to him, it should have worked by this point. It has done nothing.

Does anyone know of a natural pain and inflammation reliever? His wrist has been visibly swollen and basically immobile for a year and a half (and we're starting to see deformity in it). It has just GOT to stop NOW.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Lizz
    Participant

Dawn – how about a cortisone shot – I now it's painful but it really settles things down…

Lizz R/A 11/07, AP 5/07

anewday
    Participant

He's had that three different times. They never did anything either. 🙁

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Dawn,

MSM has been discussed alot here on the board recently. I haven't used it myself, but some swear by its ability to bring down the worst of the inflammation and to aid herxing. You can do a search on this in the search box above to read all the prior posts on the subject.

Another possibility that came to mind is IVIG…IV immuno-globulin. I believe Susan Lyme/RA has used this and a few others and they also feel it works well. Again…you can search this by typing in IVIG in the search box above.

Do hope your hubby finds relief soon, one way or another.

Peace, Maz

anewday
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Hi Dawn,

MSM has been discussed alot here on the board recently. I haven't used it myself, but some swear by its ability to bring down the worst of the inflammation and to aid herxing. You can do a search on this in the search box above to read all the prior posts on the subject.

Another possibility that came to mind is IVIG…IV immuno-globulin. I believe Susan Lyme/RA has used this and a few others and they also feel it works well. Again…you can search this by typing in IVIG in the search box above.

Do hope your hubby finds relief soon, one way or another.

Peace, Maz

Thank you so much – I'll look into these!

orchid
    Participant

My dad takes turmeric (in the pill form) – I think you need to take quite a few to have a good effect but it won't screw up your stomach like tylenol, etc will.

Good luck…

awesomemb
    Participant

I have been told that a spoonful of ground ginger in your drink everyday will help w/ arthritic pain. But, he sounds like he is in really suffering. Can you ice it also? I don't know if a pill steroid would help any differently. DO they do the shot slowly and move the wrist around when they do it? When I use to have terrible ankle pain. They would slowly do that. Gets the medicine moved around. I know you said almost immobile. Maybe talk to a good hand surgeon. There has got to be an answer. Best regards, MB

anewday
    Participant

[user=446]awesomemb[/user] wrote:

I have been told that a spoonful of ground ginger in your drink everyday will help w/ arthritic pain. But, he sounds like he is in really suffering. Can you ice it also? I don't know if a pill steroid would help any differently. DO they do the shot slowly and move the wrist around when they do it? When I use to have terrible ankle pain. They would slowly do that. Gets the medicine moved around. I know you said almost immobile. Maybe talk to a good hand surgeon. There has got to be an answer. Best regards, MB

One of the shots was moved around as it was given and it actually got worse within several hours afterwards (from bruising). It calmed down within a day or so, but never got any better than it was before the shot. 🙁

He does ice it daily after coming home from work. Usually it starts to throb about the time he goes to bed.

The real pain is when it is moved or jarred at all. It's horrific pain that shoots up his arm and continues for several minutes. It's like he has an open wound that needs to be avoided and protected all. the. time. Hard to do with 3 young children especially.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Dawn–

Your husband's symptoms sound a lot like my husband's; he was eventually diagnosed with gout, was put on Allopurinol and has been symptom free for years.  Allopurinol is used to lower the uric acid in gout, but also kills amoebatype germs and possibly weakens mycoplasmic organisms.

Something else to think about :blush:!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Fran
    Participant

anewday-  When I was at my worst, I used 3-4 grams of fish oil, turmeric, and epsom salt baths.  I can't say that they provided relief from the pain, but I think they were instrumental in my overall recovery.  I still do the fish oil to this day (3 grams).  If your husband's liver enzymes are elevated, perhaps he should take a quality milk thistle.  Fran

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Dawn…….I can sympathise with your hubby, my wrists get so bad I feel like cutting them off, especially my left.  I have had to sleep with a wrist guard on to prevent movement, this bothers me too but at least it keeps my wrist straight, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I aslo have tried herbal pain relief which didn't help when I did take pain killers they only took the edge off.  The one thing that has helped though is my diet, Its worth a try and it certainly works for me,  at least the pain is bearable,  I also have ordered MSM tablets and will try them to keep inflammation down as the damage in my wrists is still ongoing (only been on AP for 1 week).

I do hope your hubby finds some sort of relief quick, …good luck…..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

orchid
    Participant

I've heard a lot of people talking about liver-enzyme testing. Is this something that is covered on the CBC or something different?

What is the name of the test that is ordered? Do they just call it “liver-enzyme testing” or is it called something else and what is tested – bilirubin, etc?

Thanks!

linda
    Participant

When my wrist was bad I would rub hydrocortisone cream into my wrist, then put an 80% diluted solution of DMSO on top of that. If not diluted it will cause a rash and will burn. The DMSO binds to the cortisone and carries it into the tissue with it- theoretically. It worked fairly well for me. I don't know if any one else mixes it with cortisone cream, but just DMSO alone has been used by many people. It binds with toxins and substances that cause inflammation, then flushes quickly out of our system. DMSO is cheap and can be found at large animal feed/supply stores or on the internet. It is commonly used by vets on horses for joint pain and inflammation. It enters the body quickly and is excreted quickly as well, so it does not stress the liver. It is also used in conjunction with chemotherapy and IV antibiotic therapy; it is added to the IV to reduce the herx reaction. Be warned, it will make you smell like a paper mill if given in IV form. There hasn't been any discussion on DMSO here for a while, I think the smell turns people off, but if just used on the wrist it shouldn't be that bad.

Another option is acupuncture. It works by releasing endorphins, just like narcotic pain meds but without the side effects. I can attest that it does work for the pain, but I couldn't say for sure if it does anything for inflammation. There are some studies on the effects of endorphins on the immune system and inflammation, but I don't think anything has been proven on that front.

Another trick my pain management doctor uses for me is Lidoderm patches. They can be worn for 12 hours and really do a nice job of numbing the area. Since it is topical, the amount of medication that is absorbed systemically would be low, so not much stress on the liver. You can wear 3 patches at a time, they are about 5″ x 7″, but can be cut into any shape. They are a prescription med, not OTC, but you get 30 patches per box, so they're probably cheaper than buying the OTC icy/hot patches which have something like 4 to a box.

Capsaicin cream also works well, but get some latex gloves to use when applying it. It may not be a very practical option since the wrist is so close to the hand and fingers and that stuff burns like crazy if you get it on your fingers and touch your eyes. Hope you can find an option for your husband,

linda

Goodwife
    Participant

Hi,

Shortly after dx of my hubby of SD, his naturopathic doc put him on an antiinflammatory diet, along with a powder mix w/water called Ultrainflammx made by metagenics.  After being on this for 5 weeks, he began AP.  I don't know if it was the combo of everything or what, but it was miraculous how the swelling went down in his hands 1 week into AP (6 weeks into diet and ultrainflammx) – his hands were like Mickey Mouse gloves – no lie – fingers looked like stuffed sausages, etc. – very scary.  It was amazing that his hands went back to virtually normal.  You might look into diet, natural supplements.  Good luck

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Jo,

A bit of DMSO trivia… there's a Canadian company that has been working to bring a topical NSAID to market which uses DSMO as the delivery mechanism:

http://www.nuvoresearch.com/pipeline/pennsaid.asp

Todd

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘ Natural pain and inflammation reliever?’ is closed to new replies.