Home Forums General Discussion Natural pain and inflammation reliever?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    superperroRA
    Participant

orchid, here is wikipedia article on liver blood tests
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_enzymes

Donna RA
    Participant

I've read recently about a natural pain reliver, available by prescrition only called Limbrel.  I have no experience with it, but understand it's marketed for OA.  Dr T from the FM/Chronic Fatigue web site tells his patients to try it in place of Tylenol, or other OTC pain releivers, and that it's equal to OTC for lessening inflammation and pain levels. I may ask my Dr about it, but for now, I'm using curcurmin twice a day, and 2.5 mg pred, and that is working well for me.

Good Luck

Donna RA 🙂

anewday
    Participant

[user=465]Jo[/user] wrote:

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

When my wrist was bad I would rub hydrocortisone cream into my wrist, then put an 80% diluted solution of DMSO on top of that. If not diluted it will cause a rash and will burn. The DMSO binds to the cortisone and carries it into the tissue with it- theoretically. It worked fairly well for me. I don't know if any one else mixes it with cortisone cream, but just DMSO alone has been used by many people. It binds with toxins and substances that cause inflammation, then flushes quickly out of our system. DMSO is cheap and can be found at large animal feed/supply stores or on the internet. It is commonly used by vets on horses for joint pain and inflammation. It enters the body quickly and is excreted quickly as well, so it does not stress the liver. It is also used in conjunction with chemotherapy and IV antibiotic therapy; it is added to the IV to reduce the herx reaction. Be warned, it will make you smell like a paper mill if given in IV form. There hasn't been any discussion on DMSO here for a while, I think the smell turns people off, but if just used on the wrist it shouldn't be that bad.,

linda

DMSO is no longer safe to take. The medically pure stuff that you used to be able to get at any moving, storage, equipment place is now listed as a prescription drug.  Doesn't that just figure, fight for years to prove it works, then they take it away from you.

What is available now is industrial grade, which means contaminated with something, and if you don't know what the something is, it could be dangerous.  This industrial grade DMSO accounts for the bad effects that are currently being reported about DMSO. 

Also for the fact that all us country hicks used to have it, know about it, know where to get it, and now very few know about it.  We've been reamed by the FDA, which not only took it away from us, but resists significant tests on it.

Doesn't mean that it is contaminated with anything bad, one could be lucky for years with no negative effects.  But it is a decision that each person has to make.

Oh well, Because of this, Dr Jacobs did some tinkering and discovered that the primary ingredient that provided most of the benifits in DMSO was MSM.  So now we use MSM.  Not as convient, not as cheap, needs higher doses, but doesn't smell …

Yes, I've understood that DMSO isn't considered safe. We've taken MSM before and dh has tried to practically OD on it! LOL

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! I'm sifting through and looking into several of them!

I'm also thinking diet changes at this point might be a good idea….

Jo
    Participant
    linda
    Participant

Hi Jo,

Thanks for that information, I was not aware of it. Why don't the companies that sell the non rx DMSO have to put some kind of warning that it contains contaminants on the label? If nothing else, they're leaving themselves open for lawsuits.

Jo
    Participant
    Carrie-RA
    Participant

Donna,

I've tried Limbrel and I didn't notice a major difference. However, that was before I was AT, so I think I'm going to refill my prescription and try it again. Will keep you posted.

It's supposed to be like a nutritional supplement rather than a drug:

http://www.limbrel.com/fastfacts.php

anewday
    Participant

I haven't been logged in here for several months. I noticed that I posted the question here in Oct. of 2008 and my husband had already had his wrist problem for a year and a half.

😯

Has it truly been THAT long? WOW.

I am going back through this thread to look for more possibilities as the abx has not done a thing for his wrist.

Donna RA
    Participant

Carrie,

Let me know how that works out for you.  I never did get that prescription, but, there are days I need Aleve and would rather not take it, because of the side effects of long term use.  I may revisit that w/my Doc next visit.

Good Luck,

Donna RA and Lyme

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=41]Donna RA[/user] wrote:

I've read recently about a natural pain reliver, available by prescrition only called Limbrel.  I have no experience with it, but understand it's marketed for OA.  Dr T from the FM/Chronic Fatigue web site tells his patients to try it in place of Tylenol, or other OTC pain releivers, and that it's equal to OTC for lessening inflammation and pain levels. I may ask my Dr about it, but for now, I'm using curcurmin twice a day, and 2.5 mg pred, and that is working well for me.

Good Luck

Donna RA 🙂

Donna,

I also take Aleve from time to time. Recently I am on Flagyl, 750 mg daily. My joints and muscles are on fire. I can not sleep at night. One Aleve each night can carry me through the night. However, recently I found I have to take two in order to sleep for 5 hours.

I checked Limbrel. It's very pricy. I don't know how much it cost for 30 days supplies, but from what I read, it is about $105. Does this sound right to you? I love to try a new anti inflammatory med. I agree with you, Aleve is not for long term use.

JB

APbeliever
    Participant

Use Borage oil or Boswellia serrata for natural pain and inflammation reliever. Also MSM and L-Glutamine really work well on leaky gut problems and inflammation.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Sun-Organic-Borage-Oil/dp/B003HUHQJ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1272732702&sr=8-3#productPromotions

A Friend
    Participant

[user=230]anewday[/user] wrote:

Dr. F has recommended dh stop taking pain relievers (Tylenol/Asprin/Motrin etc) due to his high liver count. He normally needs to take at least one dose a day, usually at night when his inflammed wrist bothers him most, otherwise he cannot sleep.

Dr. prescribed a natural pain/inflammation herbal supplement. According to him, it should have worked by this point. It has done nothing.

Does anyone know of a natural pain and inflammation reliever? His wrist has been visibly swollen and basically immobile for a year and a half (and we're starting to see deformity in it). It has just GOT to stop NOW.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Dawn, I've sent you a PM with a link about something that is known to be helpful and not harmful.  Hope your husband gets relief soon.
    AF

spacehoppa
    Participant

Has your husband tried rubbing magnesium oil into the wrist? This probably won't reduce the inflammation visibly, but it does seem to provide some pain relief, and is good for you as well.

Donna RA
    Participant

JB,

Limbrel does seem rather pricey, but I never used or had it prescribed.  Wow, you are on a high dose of Flagyl, are you taking another abx along with it?  That is part of Lyme mix, correct? Is the 105. without insurance, maybe they would pick up some of the cost?  The website talks about easing stiffness, and I could surely use help on that front.  I was able to get on my bike for a short ride, but the whole time I was thinking, if I had to stop quickly to jump off for some reason, I'd be on my butt because of the stiffness.

Let me know if you decide to try the Limbrel.

Donna RA and Lyme

anjoe
    Participant

Dr.K recommends fish oil 3 times daily for inflammation. She told me to take the least amount of ibuprofen, etc. only when you can't stand the inflammation or the pain. It's just not that good for your health and your blood vessels, stomach, etc. …. I can't take tumeric because she said that it will and could interfer with my AP Therapy/Minocin (minocycline)…..Google-natural ways and herbs to reduce inflammation and see what info you can find out. That's the way I found out about tumeric being good for diabetes but not when one is on Minocin for AP Therapy….;)

Polymyositis:12/09 Minocin 100 mg on M,W,F since 2/3

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘ Natural pain and inflammation reliever?’ is closed to new replies.