Home Forums General Discussion Thyroid cyst- need biopsy

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

Hope it's all good news for you, but it does stink that you have to do this again. You're in my prayers.

linda

Patti D
    Participant

Hi all,
    Thanks all for the prayers & well wishes. I took a big snooze after my biopsy and feel just sore. This guy took alot of samples and poked more than I wish.
    But he drained the cyst and I was left with a 1.8cm nodule about the size of a garbonzo bean. I think because this was the repeat biopsy they took more tissue.
    Lets hope things come out good. I won't know until next Wednesday, yuck!
    He recommended that I could get the treatment of radioactive iodine to get rid of the cyst but now after re-reading this post, it looks like that may be a bad idea.
    But Maz you will love this. Right after the radiologist was done draining the thing I told him,”Merry Isthmus” He cracked up and then proceded to whistle Christmas songs through the whole procedure. I got him right in “the mood”

Thanks again> I will keep you posted.

Patti

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

But Maz you will love this. Right after the radiologist was done draining the thing I told him,”Merry Isthmus” He cracked up and then proceded to whistle Christmas songs through the whole procedure. I got him right in “the mood”

Patti, trust you to make the radiologist's day when you're going through the wars yourself! You're a hoot, girl! :roll-laugh: So glad you're through the worst now and it was such a short time ago that you had the last biopsy, it's hopeful that nothing has changed on that score.

Did you read the Lyme doc's article I posted the other day? He talked about the propensity for Lymies to wind up with thyroid cysts and other types of cysts as well as thyroid disease and other endocrinal imbalances, in general:

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

“In many of my patients, cysts are found not uncommonly in various locations: thyroid, breast, liver, bone, ovary, skin, pineal gland, and kidney. Some forms of Polycystic Kidney and Fibrocystic Breast Disease may be LD manifestations.”

And…

“Increasingly, I am encountering thyroid disease in LD. A local endocrinologist has remarked to me privately that the incidence of thyroid involvement in LD may be greater than expected from the normal population. A final judgement awaits formal statistical analysis. In many of these patients, the thyroid dysfunction was seen to originate in the pituitary or hypothalmus. Remaining alert to the possibility of thyroid disease is essential because there can be considerable clinical overlap with LD. Subacute thyroiditis is the most prevalent thyroid phenomenon I see in LD.”

I know we already knew this…heck, we're living it, but sometimes it helps to see it in print. 😉

Fingers and toes duly crossed these biopsy results will be another walk in the part.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Hey Patti,

Sure hope your procedure will give you some relief and hope you're not too sore today.  You and I both are at our wits end to solve this once and for all. :doh:

Take care……kim

Patti D
    Participant

Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for your thoughts & prayers. I actually feel like I can swallow without a big lump in my throat today. It pinches a little if I cough or sneeze but otherwise, just the nasty waiting again for those results. I saw all the blood that came off that thing and it was about 2 ccs at least.

Maz,
    That article was really excellent. I wish I could copy and give to my doctor but says not to copy so will have to send it over as an attachment.

But I made it through the weekend without thinking about it too much which is better than the last time so I will let you know.
    fingers & toes crossed cystas!
    Luv you all.
    Patti

chosen
    Participant

Hey guys,

I'm a little late jumping in here, but wanted to let you know I DID have thyroid cancer and had my thyroids removed about 5 years ago.  Wish I would have known about this website back then, all this info is still helpful.

Patti D
    Participant

Chosen,
    Thanks for chiming in. You sound in great spirit so hope things have been going well for you. Welcome to the roadback!

Sending well wishes your way!
    Patti

chosen
    Participant

I'm fine as far as the thyroid goes. My mistake was that I was at a teaching hospital so they did alot of stuff that I now question, but I had one of the best surgeons in the US. And an endriconologist that was excellent. The saying at this hospital is you get the worst and the best because of all the students. But if you have any questions holler at me. I'm considered cancer free and they say that the thyroid is the cadillac of cancers-

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1614]chosen[/user] wrote:

I'm fine as far as the thyroid goes. My mistake was that I was at a teaching hospital so they did alot of stuff that I now question, but I had one of the best surgeons in the US. And an endriconologist that was excellent.Thanks!

Chosen, hope you don't mind me asking, but after your thryoidectomy, was it difficult finding the right levels of hormone replacement for you? I understand from an acquaintance who had thyroidectomy that it took several years for her doctors to find optimal doses for her. In the meantime, her weight swung back and forth pretty badly, amongst other nasty )hyper/hypo) symptoms. Was it a bit easier for you in that regard? Just wondering if my acquaintance's experience was par for the course post-thyroidectomy or whether she was just a unique case.

Peace, Maz

Tiff
    Participant

Maz,

Hopefully Chosen will chime in too, but I wanted to say that I did not have any major swings adjusting to going on the hormone after my thyroidectomy nor did my mother when she had it.  I feel they were overly cautions about ramping up the dose, but I did not swing between high and low at all… just a slow rise to where they wanted it.  Thyroid cancer patients are kept at a high thyroid level (low TSH values) to inhibit any further thyroid cell growth.  I read a lot of literature that suggested a major problem with treating thyroid problems is under medication.  TSH should be kept around 1.0 for most people post thyroidecomy and below that for cancer patients.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=45]Tiff[/user] wrote:

I wanted to say that I did not have any major swings adjusting to going on the hormone after my thyroidectomy nor did my mother when she had it.  I feel they were overly cautions about ramping up the dose, but I did not swing between high and low at all… just a slow rise to where they wanted it. 

Thanks for the great answer, Tiff, and so glad you didn't have to contend with any big issues post-thyroidectomy. Also glad your Mom has been okay. 🙂

Do hope you're feel you're feeling better now on your Orencia infusions. You've had a rough old ride and can't blame you one bit for wanting/needing some quality of life for a change.

Peace, Maz

chosen
    Participant

I think it is par for the course to have trouble adjusting the levels. AND Dr. Oz says natural hormones(surprise surprise) are better than syntheroid.My doc insists on syntheroid and I have to do what he says for a while. I'm hoping to do the natural later. My situation is treated a little different, since I had cancer. They have to adjust my level at a place to where any remaining cancers cells couldn't grow. So they weren't concerned so much about my comfort. I'm 5'9″ and weighed 117 before the surgery because I'd been trying to adhere to the Okinawa lifestyle,at that time that was all the info I had on dealing with my sclero. I gained about 25lbs. over 5 years after the surgery. Due to inactivity and eating more thinking it would give me strength. Since going on mino and trying to get back on a more restricted diet I've lost about 10 lbs. It's hard to know for sure what's what but yes I've heard many people taking a while to get the levels right. Oh, one more thing I ALWAYS take my syntheroid on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and wait 30 min.s before eating. If you aren't consistent with this it's next to impossible for the Dr.s to help you in dosing- for what it's worth.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1614]chosen[/user] wrote:

I gained about 25lbs. over 5 years after the surgery. Due to inactivity and eating more thinking it would give me strength. Since going on mino and trying to get back on a more restricted diet I've lost about 10 lbs. It's hard to know for sure what's what but yes I've heard many people taking a while to get the levels right.

Thanks, Chosen. It's interesting to hear how everyone is so different with this. One would assume that getting the levels right, once the thyroid is removed, would be a pretty exact science, but I suppose the pituitary governs thyroid hormones, so it's likely more an individual thing. I appreciate you taking the time to answer and share your experience. Thank you!

Peace, Maz

chosen
    Participant

I just now read what Tiff wrote and I agree with her that I didn't have mood swings, just more tired than usual. I'm checking out the article on Lyme disease, thanks so much. And I am going to read all the previous posts on the thyroid subject. Wish I'd had this website 20 years ago- no use going there, and I am so greatful for having it now.

Patti D
    Participant

Ok
    Here we go again. I am a little miffed but after reading for the last hour about my results I am wondering why the heck I had another biopsy.

Results: thin prep shows”bloody cystic content scant thin colloid and degerative debris. No follicular cells
    cell block shows” mixed inflamatory cells with a significant number of eosiophils and rare follicular cells with degenerative changes consitant with a cystic lesion” a cystic lesion cannot be excluded due to a lack of follicular cells(this must be the CMA of the procedure)

Nondiagnositic results

Not enough cells great! So my doctor says lets wait and see if the damn thing fills up again and go from there. I think thats a pretty good idea. I would not be thinking this if it weren't for all of my friends here. Of course I have a bit of a horse voice which makes me panic a little . I am so afraid this will fill up again. I have not got my TSH and t3&t4 results back yet so dont' know what to think.

I think this may be goood news that mostly blood and not follicular cells were found.
    Any insight would be appreciated. As always, what would I do without my “cystas!!!
    Thanks!
    lumpy grumpy and cystic frumpy
    Patti

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘ Thyroid cyst- need biopsy’ is closed to new replies.