Home Forums General Discussion Thyroid cyst- need biopsy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Patti D
    Participant

So sorry dear Kim,
    Do not panic! I will do plenty of that for both of us. Just read in one medical journal that the majority of thyroid cysts are non cancerous. If they are cancerous the treatment is removal of the thyroid and medication for life.
    I always ask the worse case scenerio . It is less than 3% that are troublesome. Having said that, ease your mind a little and get the biopsy. My rule of thumb has always been, “When in doubt, check it out.”

I hate the checking it out as much as you do but we are not the kind of people that bury our heads in the sand anyway. We wouldn't be here using this treatment if we fully trusted and allowed the medical community to make all of the decisions.

Maz,
    My new doctor is an expert at Prolotherapy and now prolozone. He explained that they take a needle and put it into the ganglion cyst. They try to place it where the accumulation of fluid is the most prominent. Then then go on the other side of the cyst and inject the sugar water and what that does is force the cyst filled with fluid to exit on the side where the “dry needle” has been place. I think it is kind of like bursting the levy.

The new treatment prolozone is a combination of a natural type of steroid with the sugar water. This takes less injections. My girl friend needed only one injection for the cyst on her finger. Bump is gone.
    I just wish we wouldn't have to always have another thing to deal with. How about a small break. I really guess I can't complain though as comparing to last summer, I am almost normal. I just came in from kyaking around the entire lake. No more shoulder pain just tight biecep pain like normal folks.

I always need to refocus and stay positive. Hey Lynnie, ” I am staying in the light!!!”

Happy 4th everyone!!

Patti

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Patti – you go girl!!!!:dude: Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for the kick in the butt, Patti, I will check it out.  You know how it goes, when you have so many issues it's hard to give each one the proper attention.

Take care…..kim

Patti D
    Participant

Kim,
    If you put some speed on it we can compare thyroid biopsy stories by the 16th. We are both going to be fine lyme sista!! My date is the 9th. Of course I am a slight bit worried but why worry when you have great friends here on the board who can show you the way.

Patti

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

Maz,
    My new doctor is an expert at Prolotherapy and now prolozone. He explained that they take a needle and put it into the ganglion cyst. They try to place it where the accumulation of fluid is the most prominent. Then then go on the other side of the cyst and inject the sugar water and what that does is force the cyst filled with fluid to exit on the side where the “dry needle” has been place. I think it is kind of like bursting the levy.

Patti, thanks for the explanation! Look forward to hearing how this goes for you and do hope it does the trick. 🙂

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

So sorry dear Kim,
    Do not panic! I will do plenty of that for both of us. Just read in one medical journal that the majority of thyroid cysts are non cancerous. If they are cancerous the treatment is removal of the thyroid and medication for life.
    I always ask the worse case scenerio . It is less than 3% that are troublesome. Having said that, ease your mind a little and get the biopsy. My rule of thumb has always been, “When in doubt, check it out.”

Patti,

After you brought this topic up, I looked at my last ultrasound report and did a little research which got my attention.  I have four nodules ranging from 2.1 cm to 3 mm, two in each lobe, that they are not concerned about.  The largest one was biopsied.  The one that got their attention is a new “l.7 cm hypoechoic nodule with very irregular margins.  There is some blood flow in the periphery of the lesion.” 

This little number runs the cancer risk up to 26%. 😯  Like you, I've had it in my head that the risk of these nodules was 5-6%, but apparently this last one is different.  I will try and organize the biopsy if possible before we head up to Wisconsin in 4 days.  So annoying!

See you soon……..kim

Patti D
    Participant

Boy Kim,
    You got way more information on your ultrasound than I did. All I was told was that my cyst is 2.2 cm and the other one is .5 cm and is part solid, part fluid.
    There was no mention of irregular margins at all.

What I did read at medicinenet.com was that if there are multiple nodules the chance of cancer is greatly reduced. My thing literally popped up in 4 weeks time. Never had a problem before. Don't know if I am a bit hypochdriac(over reading all of the internet stuff sheesh!!) or not but now I am getting hoarse & slight sore throat. Oh, brother I read all of this stuff and now I have issues. I am talking out loud here but did find the lyme connection amazing.
    We had a 4th of July party and one friend had me check the rest of her head for ticks as she found one yesterday in the shower.
    I believe I am now getting some serious attention when I talk about lyme.
    Now take a deep breath, click your heels and say,” I am healthy, I am healthy and I am feeling so good. I am going to try this as well.
    Patti

Trudi
    Participant

Kim,
    Now we can chat about thyroid issues when we meet in 2 weeks. I will have just had the biopsy-July 9th so it will be fresh.

Hi Patti–

Just got back from up north and saw your post.  I'm going to fit right in :)!

Dr. M found that my thyroid was enlarged at my first visit.  I had an ultrasound and results were bilateral thyroid nodules, 1.0 cm. and 1.8 cm.  I then had a nuclear medicine scan (to check radioiodine uptake level) and it was all within the normal limit.  Whew!  I have to have another ultrasound in October to keep an eye on it.  Best of luck on your biopsy!  Wish we didn't all have so much in common :(!!

Dr. M did mention that Lyme does a number on various body parts–I'm pretty sure this is the result of the Lyme.

Hope your daughter is doing well in Spain.  My daughter spent a month in Italy during college (the group stayed in a hotel).  LOVED IT!!  Upon graduation, she and two other friends traveled Europe for 6 weeks, starting in Italy and ending in England.  Amazing experience.  She'd email me every couple of days–it was great!  I hope that your daughter is having a wonderful experience with her host family.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Dr. M found that my thyroid was enlarged at my first visit.  I had an ultrasound and results were bilateral thyroid nodules, 1.0 cm. and 1.8 cm.  I then had a nuclear medicine scan (to check radioiodine uptake level) and it was all within the normal limit.  Whew!  I have to have another ultrasound in October to keep an eye on it.  Best of luck on your biopsy!  Wish we didn't all have so much in common :(!!

Ach, Trudi….sorry to hear this and I second your comment above! Seems it's par for the course with all the Lymies being in the same boat. I was more than a bit uncomfortable putting radioactive iodine into my body for the RAI. Looking back, I wouldn't go that way again…I go right to ultrasound and biopsy, as they're looking for hot and cold nodules anyway on the RAI and the biopsy is more definitive ultimately and I had to have that anyway.

Darn nodules!

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Patti,

Kids and thyroids, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em! She's there, luggage or no! It never ends, my son drove up to Dallas (3.5 hrs) to see his girlfriend last weekend, and drove home this morning thru a driving rain storm. I tried to call him to tell him to wait til it passed but i missed him. However, my advisor role kicked in, he called me about half way home and asked me to check the weather for him to see when he would get out of the rain. After some stern advice about driving and talking, esp in the rain, I checked for him. Obviously, he made it home, but I hate waiting for that call from him saying he's safely home. Then I remembered how my husband and I drove from KC, MO to VA w/out stopping (only 24 hrs, and thru the mtns of W. VA b4 the new interstate had been built – 2 lanes!), with a tot, AND 3 mths pregnant, when I was 22. My poor mother! This is where gray hairs come from!!!

I keep thinking that it'll get easier, but from the moment you let go of their hands and let them take their first steps til…hmm, when exactly do we stop holding our breath? Oi.

Kim
    Participant

What a sorry lot we are.  I'm having a follow-up ultrasound on my funky thyroid cyst tomorrow. :doh:

Linda, you are so right…..we never quit being a mother or quit worrying about our kids.  Luckily they hit an age where they're flattered you care and don't think you're meddling anymore.

Take care….kim

Trudi
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

I was more than a bit uncomfortable putting radioactive iodine into my body for the RAI. Looking back, I wouldn't go that way again…I go right to ultrasound and biopsy, as they're looking for hot and cold nodules anyway on the RAI and the biopsy is more definitive ultimately and I had to have that anyway. 

Hi Maz–

I got a bit uncomfortable, too, when they told me the pill couldn't be touched.  If the disease doesn't cause enough grief, looks like the treatments and tests will.  Sure hope everything goes well with the next ultrasound and I won't have to deal with this.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Patti D
    Participant

Thanks Linda & Trudi for checking in. Maz you too!
    It just makes me feel a whole lot better that I share these darn nodules with so many of you.
    Trudi,
    We can “talk nodules” next week. I am so excited.

Kim,
    I just split a gut with your statement,”What a sorry lot we are” . Ain't that the truth.
    I will say prayers for you for tomorrow's ultrasound that those darn nodules have shrunk and are no longer an issue.

Just to tell you all I got a phone call from my daughter in Spain this morning. She has still not got her luggage but loved the 4 girls she has met and loves her host family. Says her host Mom talks all of the time and of course in Spanish so feels she will be well versed in the language soon.I thought to myself, is it possible that I will look quiet next to her host Mom giggle-giggle. That would be a first. Ha!

Kim,
    keep us in loop. We are rooting for ya!

Patti

linda
    Participant

You ladies need to form a club, but I'd rather not join, if you don't mind! but I'm thinking of you all.

Kim
    Participant

Kim,

I will say prayers for you for tomorrow's ultrasound that those darn nodules have shrunk and are no longer an issue.

Thanks, Patti, and right back at you for yours on Thursday. 😉  My appt tomorrow is just the ultrasound and not the biopsy.  I would be surprised if my suspicious nodule has shrunk though because my neck is tighter and my voice hoarser.  You know, it is what it is, and I'll just deal with it in a conservative manner.  I'd hate to do anything too drastic because my thyroid is cycling all over the place and who knows where it will settle. 

I'm leaving town on Friday so don't know if the report will filter back to me in just two days, so I'll probably have to wait for the results, but I'm fully expecting they'll want a biopsy of this one too, which I'll do. :X

See you soon…….kim

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘ Thyroid cyst- need biopsy’ is closed to new replies.