Home Forums General Discussion After take antibiotic, more swelling and more pain, How can i reduce swelling?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    YG
    Participant

Hi APBeliever,
    may i know what is the dosage of MSM of beginner to start it?

YG

SusanSD
    Participant

YG,
       I took prednisone tablets not prednisolone, which is another drug. I worked with my doctor to determine a schedule like 2 weeks at half dose of prednisone etc. If you quit cold turkey it can be serious so I was lucky nothing happened (except major swelling returned) when I quit suddenly.
       If you don't get the inflammation down, the antibiotic cannot penetrate and do its work. Short-term prednisone worked for me, but it was probably also because my SD was progressing so rapidly that I was in the second phase of SD before long, leading to a correct diagnosis, because they couldn't explain the skin tightening on RA.
       Good luck,

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Prednisone is a precursor to prednisolone, which is the active drug. Prednisone is metabolised into the active drug prednisolone by the liver. The active form is given to people who have issues with the liver being able to break it down. In other cases, it's my understanding that, when taken orally, both are considered equivalent. I believe prednisolone (the active form of the drug) is more routinely prescribed in the U.K. (possibly to put less stress on the liver??) Lynnie   

Prednisone is a glucocorticoid(steroid). It is used to treat many different conditions which require either a strong anti-inflammatory or to decrease the immune system. Once absorbed prednisone is metabolized in the liver to the active drug prednisolone. There are some people who have difficulty with this metabolic step and should be given prednisolone

http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php?pageID=faq/faqpredn.htm

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

betsyr
    Participant

I've been on AP (tetracycline 250 mg M/W/F) for 8 weeks now and am having swelling issues more now than prior to starting AP. I have noticed that my muscle soreness, stiffness and inflammation seems to be getting less but swelling has increased, or at least that's what I think is happening but I'm having trouble figuring out if swelling and inflammation are one in the same or two totally different issues. It looks like what a pregnant woman w/ toxemia would look like.

My lower legs seem to feel heavy, like they are filled with something and my skin looks and feels tight and tingly, not painful or aching just like there is something in there that needs to come out.  Could this be the toxins that are dying off but not leaving the body properly due to poor lymph system. Also, is MSM something that might help relieve this problem or do you think an NSAID would work better?

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

bETSYR,MUST BE A RASH OF THIS GOING ROUND I TOO AM HAVING SAME PROBLEM .I had to go back on my prednisone last night temporarily of course it just wasnt going away and my feet were going bigger and bigger and I take 30,000 mg a day of MSM !! My feet and knees have been swollen 2 weeks now.The prednisone is working I woke up this morning able to get my myself out of the bed and dressed on my own but the decision to go back wasnt an easy one to do.Are you currently taking MSM now ?If it was me I would take the nsaid till I get inflammation under control and stop.shouldnt take but a day or so I would think ! But If your not taking MSM Now I would start right away so when you get off the nsaid the MSM will already be kicking in.I am not a Doctor but if you need relief and need to function thats what I would do. Looks like you have 2 children to keep up with YOU NEED TO BE FUNCTIONAL !Dont suffer with this. This AP stuff is really hard everyone is different you just have to find what works for you !I would be interested in hearing the advice of the more veteran people in here.

chris

betsyr
    Participant

SirRifesalot, thanks for the advice. I started this morning with the NSAID and plan on going to the drug store to buy some MSM, I had not heard about taking this before for swelling but am going to start right away and add it to my ever growing list of supplements that I take daily! I had tried Wobenzyme earlier but didn't really see any relief with that and it also upset my stomach so I stopped taking it.

I have also been on a gluten free diet since 1-1-10. I can't really tell if that is helping with the inflammation or not so I'm thinking NOT!  I'm also gaining weight which I think it mostly related to the swelling or water retention or whatever it is that is making me so PUFFY!! Some days I feel like my body is a yo-yo, I just never know what to expect when I wake up in the morning, it's always a suprise 🙂

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

BETSYR,another gluten free person I am pretty much gluten free also.I have noticed a little difference being gluten free.It takes time .On the msm you have to take alot for it to work. I definitely understand being a yo yo.And the surprise when you wake up not knowing how your going to feel .Glad I could give back some advice as I received so much from people here some bad some good some just didnt understand where i was coming from. LOL I am out there !woo hoo !!!
    chris

APbeliever
    Participant

YG, I started off with a 1500 MG or 1.5grams for a few weeks to let my stomach settle. Since I did not see any side effects , I increased dosage to 2.5grams or 2500MG. I am now on 5 grams. Please use any products at your own risk. Also, use dosages at the advice of your doctor or naturopath. If you take it like 30,000 MG you will be flying like one of our good scorpio friends in here.:D Try taking Boswellia serrata too. Its pretty safe also and reduces swelling. I wish I knew that before taking all those NSAIDs that I had to bear with for the past year or so. The more I come to this board the more I got knowledge. You can also try baking soda 1/2 a spoon as recommended by AFriend. Read her posts by searching baking soda. That stuff really works for my swelling and pain

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

AP/ HA HA I have a sense of humor and I am crazy WOO HOO .seriously now Baking soda thats a new one ? I also learn something new every day in here.You have to be a little crazy to deal with what we deal with every day healthwise.I havent had to take a pain pill yet today so i am doing pretty good gonna cold laser my feet in awhile.

chris

YG
    Participant

Betsyr, chris,
    i have the same condition as you descript! i can't expect how is my condition for every tomorrow at this moment.
    My arm cannot more more than 90 degree in the morning, only once a while, all my fingers swelling! Bad stiffness from morning until evening since the pass 3-4 wks.

I think i am going to try MSM also..thanks APbeliever's recommendation.

U guys lucky, i am here with no doctor advise, i found a doctor here in Ap protocol list but he is quite far and i so far we are keeping in touch but not monitor by the doctor.
    So, i am very much depending on Road Back and your sharing, especially the veteran.

I hv start Mobic for 4 days (7.5mg/day), can reduce some pain but not the swelling. I am worry :crying:

_____
    YG
    RA (since Nov/09)

YG
    Participant

I am actually stop eating meat, chicken since 2 mths ago.
    Can reduce weight (3-4 kg), but the leg like what descript by Betsyr.

But diet seem doesn't help much on the swelling & pain now…May be its because of Herx?

—-
    YG

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

Yg A lymphatic drainage massage would really help you at this point.I am waiting for my massage girl to get back into town .I cant seem to get swelling down in my feet massage might help might cause me to herx but cant be any worse than I am now .The fluid needs to go out.

chris

YG
    Participant

Hi AP believer,
    So, the dosage 2.5gm is per day? devided into few time a day? i pressume….

YG

Kim
    Participant

YG,

An infrared sauna helps tremendously with circulation and lymph drainage, but it has to be used on a frequent basis.  Detoxing through sweat makes you feel so much better and sure helps with joint pain. 🙂

Hope you get some relief soon.

Take care…..kim

betsyr
    Participant

YG,

I'm so sorry to hear how much you are suffering with the swelling problems and also being on your own without really having a doctor to help you  :(. When I was having really painful swelling in my leg the other day, so bad that I didn't want to get out of bed, my husband wrapped my legs in an electric blanket and other blankets and turned the heat onto the hottest setting. It caused my legs to really sweat and I let them sweat for several hours. Later that evening I could tell that the swelling had gone down and by morning the legs were noticeably smaller. I don't know if this would help you, but I don't have access to infra red sauna and I don't have a massage therapist either at this point.  It might be something easy to try just to make some of the water sweat out of the skin for temporary relief. I also took an oral diuretic (in some PMS Excederin) throughout the day. Maybe something like this could give you a little relief?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘ After take antibiotic, more swelling and more pain, How can i reduce swelling?’ is closed to new replies.