Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Noel
    Participant

Can vitamin D3 help with PR and RA?

Some very interesting and useful info on this vitamin that actually converts to a hormone in the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5nW-Nxic9s&NR=1

tbird2340
    Participant

[user=1137]Noel[/user] wrote:

Can vitamin D3 help with PR and RA?

Some very interesting and useful info on this vitamin that actually converts to a hormone in the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5nW-Nxic9s&NR=1

I've been wanting to get my Vitamin D tested.. Curious if anyone here has had it done and what the results were.. I too heard that most with RA are deficient in D.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Tom–

I had two tests done about five months apart.  The first was in the “high” normal, the second in the “low” normal.  I'm keeping an eye on this Vit D information, very interesting!  I take Carlsen's Cod liver oil–at first I thought I might be getting too much D–I'm not worried anymore!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

sierrra
    Participant

After I fell and broke my wrist in Oct., I was tested and found to be severely D deficient. I was placed on a prescription megadose, and three months later, tested again. I'm now in the normal range. I definitely feel better–more energy, better mood, no twitches in the thigh muscles…

Sierra

tbird2340
    Participant

That video was definitely interesting.. They recommended 4000 UI daily.. What did you take Sierra and do you take any now?

Tom

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I do very well on Vit D3.  I was deficient.  I take 5000 daily.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Noel;
         If you do a “search” you will likely find a dozen pages just on that topic.It can get very complicated and I expect a lot of people do not want to bring up the topic again.
       Personally my D1,25 was super high and D25 was low.I had to get them back into sinc before I made any progress with AP
         To get a good idea about this problem read http://www.bacteriality.com   which will also cover the topic of micoplasma inside immune cells

sierrra
    Participant

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

That video was definitely interesting.. They recommended 4000 UI daily.. What did you take Sierra and do you take any now?

Tom

For the first two months after diagnosis, I took the prescription dose, which was a whopping 50,000 IU once a week. For the last month before retesting I took 5,000/day (on the advice of a healer I see.) Switching to the daily dose felt better. I'm continuing to take the 5,000 (dry form) for now.

Sierra 

Noel
    Participant

Hi Lynne G,

I did do a search but still felt it worth putting this up. This will be of particular interest to us in the UK. If the bulk of Californians are found to be deficient of D3, then we in good old blighty are going to be screaming for it.

The sun only comes out here once in a blue moon, and the last two years have been dire.

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Noel;
         It can get very complicated and I expect a lot of people do not want to bring up the topic again.

Sorry, but if we have to walk on eggshells when posting here, it will only serve to starve this forum of information that might interest others. If folk want to argue over information, there is not a lot that can be done about it.

Already seen the info from
    very interesting isn?t it. Thank you for mentioning it though, I?m sure others will find the info interesting too.
    [/size]

[/size]

Actually Lynne is right, it is very complicated. I?ve just re-read this article http://bacteriality.com/2007/09/15/vitamind/ and paid more attention to the detail. It some what contradicts the statements from the video link I gave. It?s a very long read but worth it for balance.

The truth is, it?s very difficult to know what to believe. Here in the UK , as a small boy we were bombarded with commercials saying go to work on an egg, they are really good for you. The next 25 or so years we were told don?t eat eggs they are full of cholesterol and salmonella etc. Now we are told it?s ok, you can eat what you like. Is it any wonder the general public miss-trust science and don?t know which way is up anymore?

[/size]

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=1137]Noel[/user] wrote:

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Noel;
         It can get very complicated and I expect a lot of people do not want to bring up the topic again.

Sorry, but if we have to walk on eggshells when posting here, it will only serve to starve this forum of information that might interest others. If folk want to argue over information, there is not a lot that can be done about it.

Welcome, Noel!  I don't mean to  speak for Lynne, but I took her statement differently.  It isn't walking on eggshells, it is more that it is going to take newbies to reply because a lot of people on the board have seen both sides several times now. 

I think everyone will welcome any new information!  But what is 'new' to some isn't to others and that might limit the number of replies you receive.  Take care.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Noel
    Participant

[user=18]Suzanne[/user] wrote:

Welcome, Noel!  I don't mean to  speak for Lynne, but I took her statement differently.  It isn't walking on eggshells, it is more that it is going to take newbies to reply because a lot of people on the board have seen both sides several times now. 

I think everyone will welcome any new information!  But what is 'new' to some isn't to others and that might limit the number of replies you receive.  Take care.

Thank you Suzanne, point taken.

spacehoppa
    Participant

I know it's been gone into before on this forum, but I do still find this debate fascinating and by no means laid to rest.

The contradiction between the info available from all the recent studies (a good referenced page of benefits can be found here http://www.vitamind3world.com/) and the info found at http://www.bacteriality.com does leave me wondering what to think and do.

This is my totally unscientific opinion, but here goes…

I think the problem of RA and other auto-immune diseases can be approached from two directions. We can either rid our body of the offending infection, as with the AP, or we can try and calm our immune system's response to it. After all, even Dr McPherson Brown says that we have an 'allergy' to the toxins produced by the mycoplasma. That is to say that perhaps with a different set of genes or some other environmental factor, perhaps our immune systems would have learnt how to tolerate this bacteria along with all the others it happily tolerates.

So it may be possible that we want to both calm the immune response, perhaps with treatments such as NSAIDS and possibly even the likes of vitamin D (although vit D does seem to upregulate the immune system more than downregulate it, when it's doing its job properly in the body), as well as reduce the bacterial load.

If I could have allergy shots like people do to desensitize them to pollen etc, then I'd happily give it a go. I'm not dead set on getting rid of the mycoplasma for the sake of it. I'd be just as happy to retrain my body to ignore it.

Anyway, the reason I say all this is because, at the moment at any rate – and my opinion may well change with the next piece of research I read 😉 – I'm happy to just try and give my body the best supplements and food I can manage, and to decrease stress, and to get back to the minocin the minute I am able to after this pregnancy, and hope that my body can become stronger and therefore be better able to defeat the mycoplasma, or learn how to tolerate it better. Hopefully, a bit of both!

I certainly don't have the vitamin D debate settled in my own mind yet and will happily continue to discuss it until I do.

Joe M
    Participant

[user=415]spacehoppa[/user] wrote:

We can either rid our body of the offending infection, as with the AP, or we can try and calm our immune system's response to it.

This is a great point.  It is still a mystery as to why many who test positive for mycoplasma have no signs of RA and why many who do have RA test negative for mycoplasma.  What is the missing piece?

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Joe;
         I am a scientist and totally confused so I can just imagine how others feel.Micoplasma are evrywhere and there are so many kinds of them that there is not a hope of being tested for all .In fact there are not even tests for them.Could be that we all have it and just don't know about it.My girlfriend is a cancer researcher and says that very often her slides get contaminated and figures the little beggers are just drifting along with the breeze until they find a good spot to live.
          Most of our immune system is in the gut so if you end up with yeast which is definately caused by the average North American diet and stress you end up with leaky gut because the yeast drill nice microscopic holes in the intestine.We likely swallow a ton of bacteria/micoplasma on our food and that sets the scene for disease if our immune systems are too tired to fight it out.
        That is why diet can be so helpful,You have to heal those holes so that no more bugs get through.Now you have to deal with the micos that are getting into a zillion of your cells including your immune cells and that is where the antibiotics come in.They DO NOT kill the bugs,they weaken them because they act on certain proteins they need to live.It is your immune cells that will kill them off.Thankfully our bone marrow is always making new cells and they have some time to do some killing before they also become infected.That is why AP takes a long timeThe micoplasma load slowly drops as new cells get rid of them.
           This is the easiest way that I can explain things without going all technical

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Joe;
        Forgot to add  something here that  may or may not be the case.Vit.D is not a vitamin but a seco-steroid.Due to the toxic mess the micos cause  the D3 (D 25) turns into D1,25 at too fast a rate and they become unbalanced D25 to D1,25 should be a ratio of 1.1 or 1.2.Mine was a whopping 2.8.Supplementing with D when you are sick can make you feel much better…and so does prednisone…. So one is just suppressing the immune system when one really needs it to do the fighting.The antibiotics will never be able to do it alone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘ Vitamin D’ is closed to new replies.