Home Forums General Discussion Vitamin D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    tbird2340
    Participant

I am debating whether or not to start supplementing Vitamin D..

I'm wondering if I should get my blood drawn for it first or just start doing say 5000 IU per day..

I'm not really a believer in MP and Vitamin D being bad for you (no offense to those who are) but I'm not sure if it's a smart move to just start taking it..

To get it tested do you just make an appt with your GP and ask to get your Vit D level tested? Does insurance cover stuff like this?

Thanks!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

T,

I would definitely get my blood checked first.  I think you can get this done yourself but if your doctor requests it, insurance will pay for it. 

You shouldn't have a problem getting a doctor to order it, as there is so much out there about it helping people with RA.

Susan

jaminhealth
    Participant

Hi All, this has been probably my “pet” health issue for the last 2 yrs.  I would  have NEVER thought I was deficient until my sister, who has MS, mentioned this to me late 2006.  I happened to be struggling with some “mild” depression, but depression it was.  MS patients are very deficient. 

I went to my “integrative” doc and we talked and she did blood and sure enough, I was a low 15 on a lab range of 20-100.   She immediately put me on 4000 IU's of D3 per day and I've been on that dose every day since.  It took about six months for the D3 to kick in and the depression lifted.     I was considering an A/D which I  didn't want and my doc didn't want me to get on one either. 

My last lab in Dec. came up a 52.   I continue with the 4000 IU's daily (D3) and get lab work done twice a year. 

I subscribe to Dr. David Williams Alternatives Newsletter and he talks about this deficiency almost monthly but I paid no attention.  He said he's been talking about this deficiency for 20 yrs!!!! 

I live in So. Cal…how could I be deficient.  Well, I came in from the SUN so to speak about 20 yrs ago.  I was a SUN worshipper until my late 40's.  Then the scare, etc.  And I refused to use sunblock which is full of chemicals.   So no SUN.   Just  what I got when I went out here and there, but no great concentration of it.    

Then I started to research; Vitamin D Council, the book The Vitamin D Cure by Dr. John Dowd,   and everything I could get my hands on.   

Needless to say, there are 1Billion deficient in North America from one article I read.   And to think this little capsule of D3 is so inexpensive and millions are taking expensive drugs to “try” to get of depression. 

Yes, do get bloodwork for a starting gauge.  But everything I've read the D3 is the best absorbable form to take.   You can buy it for pennies. 

The Vitamin D Council is a very informative site to visit and research..The YouTube above is excellent and I believe Dr. John Cannell is on the Vit D Council.

Dr. Joe Prendergast out of Redwood City, CA has an informative YouTube also.  Just google his name. 

Vitamin D testing, in my estimation, needs to be standard with all bloodwork.  To improved health all.  jam 

Mumof3
    Participant

I would definitely get your levels checked first before supplementing with Vitamin D. I just got my results back and found out that my Vitamin D levels are very high. My doctor said that people with autoimmune diseases can produce high levels of Vitamin D (which can cause aches and pains). In my case, I have to avoid taking anything with Vitamin D and minimize my time in the sun (which will be hard with three little ones).

BTW – I live in Canada so I would have assumed my D levels were low since I've been out of the sun all winter.

jaminhealth
    Participant

mumof3/would the infrared sauna therapy bump up D levels?

When talking about low D in many articles I've read the elderly have been singled out.   But then I've met many on any board, younger people, who came up very deficient.  Even children today more than ever since they indoors on computers and game monitor stuff. 

That's very interesting that your levels were  high.  Yes, do get bloodwork for a starting point.   jam

Trudi
    Participant

[user=970]jaminhealth[/user] wrote:

Interesting question.  I wonder?

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Mumof3
    Participant

[user=970]jaminhealth[/user] wrote:

I certainly hope not. I just bought a wooden one for my basement. It should be arriving any day. My doctor was happy that I bought one so I am assuming no but I will definitely look into it.

Maz
    Keymaster

I did a bit of research on this before purchasing a UV lamp to bump up my Vit D levels during the long winter months. Without going back to find the articles about this, pretty sure only UV in the light spectrum helps the body to manufacture Vit D.

Peace, Maz

Rosey UK
    Participant

[user=1137]Noel[/user] wrote:

Hi Noel

I'm very grateful you put this on I'm in the UK and I don't get out much and ther's no sun anyway. I asked my doc for test for Vit D but not available here.

I am deffinatley going to take them. I was put off before by Marshall protocol but no longer believe it.

So I for one am very glad you did this Thanks!Noel.

Rosemary

Hi Lynne G,

I did do a search but still felt it worth putting this up. This will be of particular interest to us in the UK. If the bulk of Californians are found to be deficient of D3, then we in good old blighty are going to be screaming for it.

The sun only comes out here once in a blue moon, and the last two years have been dire.

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Noel;
         It can get very complicated and I expect a lot of people do not want to bring up the topic again.

Sorry, but if we have to walk on eggshells when posting here, it will only serve to starve this forum of information that might interest others. If folk want to argue over information, there is not a lot that can be done about it.

Already seen the info from
    very interesting isn?t it. Thank you for mentioning it though, I?m sure others will find the info interesting too.
    [/size]

[/size]

Actually Lynne is right, it is very complicated. I?ve just re-read this article http://bacteriality.com/2007/09/15/vitamind/ and paid more attention to the detail. It some what contradicts the statements from the video link I gave. It?s a very long read but worth it for balance.

The truth is, it?s very difficult to know what to believe. Here in the UK , as a small boy we were bombarded with commercials saying go to work on an egg, they are really good for you. The next 25 or so years we were told don?t eat eggs they are full of cholesterol and salmonella etc. Now we are told it?s ok, you can eat what you like. Is it any wonder the general public miss-trust science and don?t know which way is up anymore?

[/size]

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi

What if anything would happen if we OD because say we wern't deficient?

Do we know the answer can it be dangerous or just wash out of our body like too much C. :blush:  P.S just been on u tube and listened to Dr J Pendergast and he says can't get toxicity with too much D

Thankyou   Jam

Rosemary :roll-laugh:

anno
    Participant

[user=115]Rosey UK[/user] wrote:

Hi

What if anything would happen if we OD because say we wern't deficient?

Do we know the answer can it be dangerous or just wash out of our body like too much C. :blush:  P.S just been on u tube and listened to Dr J Pendergast and he says can't get toxicity with too much D

Thankyou   Jam

Rosemary :roll-laugh:

What I understand is that unlike C, vit D is fat-soluble & therefore you can OD on it. Does it depend on the form you take? Is anybody familiar w/ the D emulsion drops? It says on the bottle (as cholecalciferol).

tainabell
    Participant

Oooo! I was wondering about that lately as well.   I just bought a form of D3 that comes in a spray.  Its SO much better than taking pills, but it seems too good to be true that I would be getting all my VitD from what is basically a breath freshener. 

Anyone know about the effectiveness of a method like this?

jaminhealth
    Participant

Do your best research and of course get blood test so you know your level when you start dosing. 

Google: Vitamin D and toxicity and see what you can find.

Dr. Williams in one of his Alternatives Newsletters and he's been warning of this deficiency for some 20 yrs, says a person could take up to 20K per day and not worry about toxicity.   Not longterm please…

If one is NOT in the SUN a lot you can just about take it to the bank that you are deficient. 

Listen to the first youtube on this post.  I find it so informative.  Dr. Cannell.

Obviously I can't tell you how much to take, but I still take 4000 IU's per day, dropping down some days now to 3000 IU's since my level is pretty optimal, 52, but will go back up higher after summer.  I get bloodwork 2 times per year.   Do get levels checked.  Do they not do that test in the UK?    jam

Serenity
    Participant

My doctor last year told me I was slightly deficient in Vit. D (but I don't know which type – he didn't test that specifically).  He gave me 4 mega-doses of pills but I didn't continue with regularly taking supplements.  I've only recently (in the past couple weeks) started taking a D3 supplement.  It may be psychological, but I swear I feel better. 

jaminhealth
    Participant

Serenity: I don't think it's psychological.  I feel sooo much better since being on D3 2 yrs now….jam 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘ Vitamin D’ is closed to new replies.