Home Forums General Discussion overproductive post nasal drip causing severe cough

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

I decided to move this topic to here so that some one might be able to help me.

This is what I have been doing:

1. Neti Pot salt rinsing (daily)

2. Benadryl for the evening

3. Mucinex DM

4. Plug my nose :sick:

5. Bending my head down

I cannot take any sinus related med because I have raynauds, it drives my hands and feet nuts.

When I lay down, my cough stops within few minutes.

I read this article, it's very interesting. http://health.howstuffworks.com/home-remedies-for-postnasal-drip.htm

It talks about post nasal drip and mucus….One thing I noticed is that the article said “Mucus acts as a broom, cleaning out the nasal passages. It kicks out bacteria, viruses, and other infection-causing invaders and clears out other foreign particles.
    There are several people mentioned earlier that after AP, they started cough, from mild to severe (like my case). I finally realized it was caused by post nasal drip.”

Now, putting the puzzles together…. I reasoned, perhaps this is another way our body is trying to get rid of toxins after minocyclin did its job on eliminating mycoplasma. So people may have rash, dry skin, darkened skin, and here I am, having over productive mucus from my sinus.

Of course, the other possibility could be sinus yeast infection due to AP.

I have to bend my head to prevent the mucus coming down to my throat which triggers severe cough….

How could I reduce the production of the mucus. I am suffering terribly each day. I cannot give lecture without severe cough. Very embarrassing!!!:blush:

JB:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

I read this article, it's very interesting.

It talks about post nasal drip and mucus….One thing I noticed is that the article said “Mucus acts as a broom, cleaning out the nasal passages. It kicks out bacteria, viruses, and other infection-causing invaders and clears out other foreign particles.

JB, I'm sorry I don't think I have any good advice for you, but this part of your post caught my eye!!!!!  My daughter has been having bad stomachaches, often enough that we recently went to the ped for them and he wanted to try Prevacid for a couple weeks.  They were sometimes accompanied by lowgrade temps.  We couldn't see any pattern to them.

No changes in the last couple weeks, and she complained of a stomachache Wednesday.  Then Thursday she started running a high temp.  No stomach problems.  Friday still had a high temp and vomited MUCUS.  Food stayed down, which seemed so weird!  She vomited mucus a few times, though.

I will be so interested to see if her stomach problems are gone for good!

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Suzanne
    Participant

JB, I did think that post-nasal drip was supposed to cause a nighttime cough, so it seems like lying down would not stop it.  Vick's on the bottom of your feet works for a nighttime cough – like magic, don't ask me why, but it does!

When I mentioned my daughter vomiting mucus, they rx'd Zyrtec – can you take that?  (She couldn't – it came right up – waste of money for us.)

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

davew
    Participant

Hi JB…

I have this as well. No cough, but a lot of post nasal drip, sore throat etc. Worse this year, so I am just hoping it's an allergy thing. Zyrtec seems to help a bit and the neti pot.

I am going to try the grapefruit seed thing and see if that helps. I have heard good things about that.

Hope you feel better soon!

Dave

Eva Holloway
    Participant

JBJB,

I have been using the Grapefruit seed extract and finding some help with it. Even my husband and grandson are using it. My grandson has real bad allergies just now and he said it helps him.

I have started with 5 drops once a day in the evening with V-8, my husband takes it in orange juice. to ever his own. I am up to seven drops now and when I take it I actually have a better night and I am less congested now.

Maybe this will help you. I have problems with lots of meds. another medication over the counter is Zycam I used it when we where in CA in February. The pollution in LA really got me down so I used Zycam for allergies, a nasal spray.

I know sometimes it feels like banging the head agains many walls. :headbang: 😀

Regards,

Eva

Eva Holloway

JBJBJB
    Participant

I will go and buy those medicine and give them a try.

A friend of mine called me, saying she saw the Inside Edition talking about drywall made in China had made many people sick, who built the new house during 2006 -2008. We moved into our new house in the summer of 2007.  It could also be something in the new house…. who knows. All my family members are fine.

I thought perhaps this is part of connective tissue disorder in my sinus area…. that will be really bummer because I cannot do anything about it.

Thanks all. I will try these medicine first suggested by yall.

JB

Eva Holloway
    Participant

JBJB,

check out the zycam stuff it has several different products. I used the nasal spray and it seemed to help. 😎

I wish you the best with the sinus problem. I think it helps when people read the info and then can give you a suggestion.

Happy Easter,

Eva

Eva Holloway

sierrra
    Participant

Dairy products can be very mucous producing for some of us. Try abstaining from all dairy products for a week or two and see if your symptoms improve.

Sierra

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

JBJBJB

My husband can NOT take mucinex because it actually increases his mucus production horribly.  Once when he had a cold and took it…well…I won't get graphic with you but suffice it to say that it was amazing how much mucus was produced.  Our family doc said it was “unusual” and possibly “unlikely” that Mucinex would lead to the issue but as soon as he stopped Mucinex it stopped.   He was like a mucus faucet…unreal. 

Everyone else seems to be able to take it with great results but no my hubby….it has the opposite effect.

Anyhow, you might want to check with your doc to see if he thinks the Mucinex could actually be increasing mucus production in you and if so maybe suggest something in its place.   Plus since so many of us are on so many meds and supplements you might want to run it by your doc and pharmacist to see if they know of something that together could be causing this or keeping it from getting better or making it worse.

Good luck…keep us posted!

– – just a thought.

– – whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Another idea for you since you mentioned sinuses.

When I have sinus issues I'll often put a little cold pack of ice (not too long of course) on my face on my sinuses.  Seems to stop the pain, slow mucus, give relief almost instantly.

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Thanks again for the recommendations. I do not eat dairy products much. I keep drinking a lot of water so the post nasal drip is not very thick (Yuck)…. the cough is like choking with water.

One thought what I have is perhaps my sinus is HERXING, perhaps I have some Randy's “B**” and needed to get out.  Or yeast infection (which I can test it out)….

I may need a surgery to detour my running nose, so that it won't drip back to my throat.

This is worst than having muscle and joints pain. :doh:

Thank you all for being there for me.

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

Surprising, surprising!!!

This morning, I had to put some Neosporin on my cut. I had some leftover ointment, so I used a Qtip, stuff it into my nostrils. Within 10 minutes, my cough stopped. Through out the day, I occasionally cough, but not as frequent as I used to be.

I will keep you posted.

JB

davew
    Participant

Wow… That's an interesting development JB. I hope that it is a continued source of relief and maybe even a cure for your problem!

I might even give that a try myself.

Dave

m.
    Participant

Hi JB,

I don't know if this will help you, but it might be an avenue worth exploring.

http://www.buteyko-usa.com/

This practitioner is in Indianapolis.

JBJBJB
    Participant

I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know. JB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘ overproductive post nasal drip causing severe cough’ is closed to new replies.