Home Forums General Discussion overproductive post nasal drip causing severe cough

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi JB;
        I was just reading up on some info for my sister who has Lupus and ran across something very interesting. Google   vagus nerve and post nasal drip   I was reading on how this nerve causes tachicardia in persons with rheumatoid diseases.Seems that damage to the micro vascular systen causes the nerve to go crazy and cause all kinds of trouble.This nerve sends messages from the brain to the immune system among many other things.Her doctor (best AP doc. in Canada) told her that is was the cause of this very bad problem she has.Her GP had tried all kinds of heart meds to no avail.

JBJBJB
    Participant

:crying:

jlane1111
    Participant

Be cautious of the zycam. My husband used it and it caused significant bleeding. He ended up in a class action lawsuit because he lost his sense of smell – which was a side effect of the med. 

A Friend
    Participant

JB, a few years ago Mayo Research came out with findings that sinus was most often caused by fungal origins.  You probably can still find this by doing a search.  I believe it's probably very often correct. 

One of my favorite sources of information the past year is from Doug Kaufmann's newsletter, with many good physicians/health professionals writing articles for it.  One of these is a lady physician, I try never to miss reading any of her articles. 

If you'd consider being a pioneer for RBFBB, you might find help by following some of her articles, and from reading the beginning three small books of D.K., on the subject of yeast/fungus, and the recommendations (both diet and protocols).  I understand diet and a rotation of three OTC products for 3 months are recommended, then rotating to a different three.  I keep intending to order those books.  I've been aware of D.K. for at least 14 years, but he left radio, and I didn't know where he had gone, because I didn't have satellite and didn't know where he was. 

It's possible you can get to a copy of the newsletter by doing a search for Know the Cause link (if you can't, let me know and I'll paste other links in a PM and send to you).  The past newsletter articles by each contributor are readily seen in the left column.

(By the way, I've read about Bicarbonate of Soda loosening phlegm, etc. If you'll do a search for Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, I believe there's a link to all of their old recommendations for all sorts of home remedies, and their directions may be there for this problem, too.)

AF 

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

JB,

Ok this is way too crazy…. I was just about to post this topic because i have just recently had this annoying problem surface! is it allergies? will it pass?

This has been going on for about 2 weeks now with the nasal drip and i just recenlty started the cough and shortness of breathe and could not figure out what the deal was!!! I went to see my ap doc yesterday dr. F in riverside and he thinks my shortness of breathe with the cough is due to my acid reflux going into my lungs and wants me to sleep with my head elevated and start taking nexium or prilosec. So now reading your post im really confused of really whats going on….but to be honest the post nasal drip leading to the cough sounds like an “aha” moment for me. 

If anyone else could chime in and give any advice on what to do that would be great:sick:

rebecca

A Friend
    Participant

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

I have been using the Grapefruit seed extract and finding some help with it. Even my husband and grandson are using it. My grandson has real bad allergies just now and he said it helps him.

I have started with 5 drops once a day in the evening with V-8, my husband takes it in orange juice. to ever his own. I am up to seven drops now and when I take it I actually have a better night and I am less congested now…..

Eva

Eva, JB….

I used Grapefruit seed extract very effectively, too, beginning with the 5 drops and gradually working up to 15 — according to Dr. Wm Crook's instructions in his book:  “Chronic Fatigue & the Yeast Connection.” 

The onset of my illness began with a jaw infection (not involving a tooth) and abx RX caused it to break loose and spread up into my sinuses.  Infection was later viewed on MRI… 2 years afterward.  It was at this point in time that I first read this book and chose to use the GSE.  I increased from 5 to 15 much too fast, and had a virtual “mud slide” coming down my throat, and this caused chills, fever, and nightsweats every night.  I finally realized the amount of drainage was directly related to the number of drops I was using.  I cut back on the GSE, and then the chills/fever/nightsweats also cut back — a direct relationship. 

Eva, thanks for reminding me of this.  It may be helpful to others. 

AF

A Friend
    Participant

JB,

Have been “sleuthing” and looking at Mayo Research info again, as well as one other (the first one below) that caught my attention.  Hopefully some of these will be of help.  Take care.  Good luck.  AF

http://www.ctds.info/sinus_infections.html
    Fungus as a Potential Cause of Sinus Infections

http://www.sinuses.com/fungal.htm
    Fungal Sinusitis
    W. S. Tichenor, M.D. – NY, NY

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acute-sinusitis/ds00170
    Definition of Acute Sinusitis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acute-sinusitis/DS00170/DSECTION=symptoms
    Symptoms…[Note: To the left of this text are live links to discuss types of symptoms, etc.]

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acute-sinusitis/DS00170/DSECTION=causes
    Causes… 

JBJBJB
    Participant

AF,

Many thanks for the research. I am really glad you went ahead and dug out all the information for me. I will read them up tomorrow.

I went to an ENT doctor. He looked at my sinus, and told me he did not think I had yeast problem. My tongue definitely had two areas which were yeast patches, he said they were not. I compared my tongue with several google images, they were identical. AHA…. then I realized he was the doctor who does not believe sinus fungal infection.

Rebecca,

This ENT doctor told me it was either allergy or acid reflux problems as well. He could be correct. I also cough AFTER I eat a meal. I know that's from acid reflux. However I knew it was yeast problem. I may have three of the problems.

I used 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide to spray my nostrils. I regretted to do that because I believe it “burned” my vocal cord…. now I can hardly talk. Later I realized I had to dilute it before I could use it.

The good news is after about two or three weeks of spray (with a lot of nose bleeding), I have only a few cases of post nasal drip and cough spells.

However whenever I have heavy yeast problem in my tongue due to antibiotic in take, my post nasal drip returns immediately, following up with persistent cough….you could Google “yeast infection in tongue” and you will see some images which are like my situation.

“Mary's Magic Mouth Wash” is my friend. I just got a bottle from my dentist today. It helps to control the mouth yeast problems.

Hope you will find out the root of your cough. It took me a while to pin point post nasal drip and yeast infection. Whenever I am in a very humid place, I have cough spell….

JB

nord
    Participant

Interesting thread. How did you exclude the possibility of it as “herxing” or die-off? Even if your mouth ulcers test as fungal infections, surely it doesn't prove that all symptoms are of the same origin?

Eva Holloway
    Participant

JBJB,

can you get that mouthwash only from the dentist?

Eva

Eva Holloway

JBJBJB
    Participant

Eva,

You could get it from your primary care doc or any doc. It works magic to me. It has some kind of steroid in it. Hey, whatever works.

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

thanks JB 🙂

Karen R
    Participant

Hi JB,

You might want to try NAC. It worked wonders for me. Try at least 500mg twice daily.

All the best,

Karen R

JBJBJB
    Participant

Karen,

What does NAC stand for? I will research on that. I am still coughing, but not as much as I used to. Love to try ANY THING to stop this bad post nasal drip. It kills me. Now the post nasal drip still goes on, the phlegm just sits in my throat… affects my voice….

Thanks very much,

JB

Karen R
    Participant

Hi JB,

NAC stands for N'Acetyl L-Cysteine. I take 500mg three times daily on the advice of my pulmonologist for mucus production. It really works. You can purchase it on line or in health food stores.

Best of luck!

Karen R

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘ overproductive post nasal drip causing severe cough’ is closed to new replies.