Home Forums General Discussion low dose naltrexone aka LDN

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    pinsall
    Participant

Has anyone with RA tried LDN?
    If so , what dose and what time did you use?
    Did you continue with the antibiotic?
    Can you still get cortisone shots and still use LDN?
    Any side effects?
    thanks

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi pinsall – there was a thread started about LDN a few days back. Here is the link to it: http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3819&forum_id=1

Any time you'd like to see what people have discussed before that may interest you, try using the search function above and type in the relevant word(s) or acronym, in this case LDN and/or low dose naltrexone and you all previous posts that contain that word/acronym will come up and you can look through them. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hi pinsall,

I have RA and DM and I have been on antibiotics for two years and LDN for six months. The LDN really has helped me a lot. I used to walk bend over now I am almost upright again. It is prefered that you keep taking the antibiotic with the LDN to help your immune system.

Each person is different so the amount you have to take is also different. I am on 4.5 mg and I take it at bedtime, but usually at the same time. No side effects really, on the beginning you will have some insomnia but after that you will sleep like a baby for many hours. This is to help to rebuild your endorphins.

Are you taking Prednisone or cortisone?  I understand you can take a small amount of Prednison with the LDN. Here is what I found:

Each of these medications is slightly different in their relative potencies for the anti-inflammatory effect and mineralocorticoid effects. Cortisone has slightly more mineralocorticoid effect but less anti-inflammatory effects as compared to prednisone.

Hope this helps some.

Eva:D

P.S. can someone remove the other e-mail, sorry I hit a wrong key and now there are two :crying: 

Eva Holloway

casey
    Participant

[line]

Eva said:

“Each person is different so the amount you have to take is also different. I am on 4.5 mg and I take it at bedtime, but usually at the same time. No side effects really, on the beginning you will have some insomnia but after that you will sleep like a baby for many hours. This is to help to rebuild your endorphins.”

Eva, just wondering if the body could become dependant on LDN for endorphin production in the long run?

Does anyone else who uses LDN know of any studies on this?  I have been researching LDN and i cant find anything on how it affects endorphin production later on . If the body was to become dependant  on LDN for endorphin production, wouldnt one be worse off in the future IF they couldnt get ahold of LDN?

Just curious,

Casey

Eva Holloway
    Participant

casey,

here is some more info on LDN.

http://tinyurl.com/ldn-side-effects

LDN is not habit forming since the medication is used against drug addiction. So this would be counter-effective.

Hope this will help.

Eva Holloway

vinny
    Participant

Maz,

Glad to see you over on the LDN website. I have 4 LDN websites that I monitor to gather as much info as possible. I started Minocycline in June 2008 and LDN in Feb 2009. still leaning and refining my treatment program.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

llafever
    Participant

Hello Vinny,

This is Lisa L from Sparta, TN.  I first posted regarding my hubby who has PSa and so far has not had much relief.  He was able to get his holistic doc in Nashville to prescribe LDN and he has had pretty good relief of pain.  However, he still has not been able to persuade him to prescribe the minocycline. 

We'll keep trying.  He has an appt. with a new doc who is supposed to be open to holistic avenues of treatment in Cookeville.

My question is:  Does Dr. S in Chattanooga prescribe LDN?  I have RA and fibromyalgia, and I have read that LDN is great for pain.  I asked for a trial of it, and was told “the doctor is not comfortable with prescribing that for what you have.”
      I see a nurse practitioner, who has to prescribe under a doc in the practice.  I am planning a visit to Chattanooga to see the nurse practitioner at Dr. S's practice, since I am still on a long waiting list to see Dr. S.  I wish he would come back to his office more often!!!  Oh well, I need patience.  So, if you could let me know if Dr. S prescribes LDN, I'd appreciate it.  I was given Flexeril for pain, and it doesn't work. 

nspiker
    Participant

I was just prescribed LDN by my LLMD.  She told me that Dr. H (llmd in NY) is having great success with this product.  It is supposed to reduce inflammation and regulate or improve the immune system.  I am still considering, and have not filled my prescription yet.  It has to be filled by a compounding pharmacy.  Thanks Eva, I remember you writing about that somewhere.

I am interested in anyone else who may be considering it?  I don't have a lot of pain and am contemplating the pros and cons?

thanks, nancy

Eva Holloway
    Participant

nspike,

hopefully jaminhealth :)will read your post because she told me that she uses 50ml distilled water and one 50mg tablet in an amber bottle. disolves the tablet, shakes the bottle real good and then stores it in the refrigerator. She then uses it until it is gone. She also stated not to shakethe bottle again once the medicine is disolved. I am going to try and do it that way because I have to pay for the compounding which is $115 every three months and on a fixed income that's sometimes is hard.

Don't consider too long, just getting away from pain is great and it supports the immun system is good. A good night sleep maybe also helpful. I am now sleeping a good six to eight hours every night and so much more energy.

Eva Holloway

Eva Holloway
    Participant

vinny,

I am going to change from compounding to doing it myself with distilled water etc. Just can't afford the extra expenses since Medicare will not pay for the compounding, jaminhealth uses the distilled water in an amber bottle and keeps it refrigerated. I have read from several other people on the LDNuser group that they use it that way.

Keep in touch. What other LDN group are you with?

Eva Holloway

vinny
    Participant

llafever,

I have not been to Dr S because of his long wait list and my Primary Care Internist will prescribe anything I can make a good case for. He is writting my script for Naltrexone, Diclofenac and Minocycline. I get the 50mg Naltrexone, disolve 1 pill in 50ml of bottled water, and take 4.5ml in orange juice at bedtime. I can give you my Chattanooga Internist's name if you have an interest.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Trudi
    Participant

Vinny–

You mentioned in another thread that you stopped LDN because of blood pressure concerns.  Did that rectify itself?

I had started LDN at the beginning of January.  Was on it approximately 2 weeks.  My BP had been erratic but it really went high then.  We don't know if it was LDN–I'm thinking it's a combination of a lot of things–so my doctor said I could start the LDN again when I am totally on the full dose of antibiotics.

For anyone reading this, I didn't have the sleepless nights or the vivid dreams.  My doctor thinks that maybe it's not going to work for me.  We'll see.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

vinny
    Participant

Eva,

I did the LDN dilution thing right from the beginning, because it is cheaper and easier to vary the dosage. I belong to 3 Yahoo LDN groups:

LDN_Users

lowdosenaltrexone

rheumatoidarthritis-lowdose…

and also: http://ldn.proboards.com/index.cgi

vinny

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=1737]llafever[/user] wrote:

… since I am still on a long waiting list to see Dr. S.  I wish he would come back to his office more often!!!  Oh well, I need patience. 

US TOO!  Been on that list forever.  I am beginning to wonder if there is really a Dr. S in Chattanooga / Dalton!
    :headbang:

vinny
    Participant

Trudi,

I had been off LDN for more then a month and my blood pressure did not have a significant decrease. I stopped taking Advil this week and that seemed to help some. I started back on 3mg LDN last night because my pain parameters were starting to increase.

vinny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘ low dose naltrexone aka LDN’ is closed to new replies.