Home Forums General Discussion Dr. C in Missouri

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    JBJBJB
    Participant

Hi to those who have seen Dr. C

I made an appointment to see Dr. C in Columbia, Missouri. I am waiting for the confirmation of band 31 from #489 test. I am wondering what tests should I take with me to see Dr. C?

My appointment is going to be March 18th, 6:00 AM. Yes, 6:00 AM. What hotel did you stay? I guess with 7 hour driving distance, we may be able to get back home after the appointment.

His nurse told me they did not file insurance. So the initial fee is $490 pay up front.

Does he have lab? My insurance also uses Lab Corp. 

I am also on the waiting list for cancellation. I'd appreciate any information you guys could fill me in.

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

Could any one fill me in for these 2 questions?

How long does an appointment last?

I am also wondering if your appointment all started at 6:00 AM?

Thanks for your input. If you don't want to post the question, please PM me.

JB

Kim
    Participant

JB,

Not all appts start at 6 a.m.  Actually, those early appts are the coveted ones since almost all patients are from out of town it gives them time to get home the same day.  My guess is they are planning a blood draw in their office.  I haven't seen his new office because my last appt was in the old office a week before he moved.  His last office had a staff of nurses that did various things.  He's really good about letting you do tests with facilities and labs in your home network if it will save you money and will just write a script.  Like most doctors, it makes their job easier if they can test for everything under the sun, but since that isn't possible he will prioritize those that he feels are the most important for you.

For my first appointment it seems like I was there at least 1 1/2 hrs., maybe longer.  An hour or a little longer with the doctor, then some time with nurses doing a few more tests, etc., and finally paperwork to settle up the bill at the end.  He will make recommendations on tests and supplements, but not pressure you at all.  He is very laid-back and it's not his personality to be pushy.

Take care…..kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Kim,

Thanks so much for this information. I am going to call my insurance company and hopefully I can get pre-approval for all the testing and treatment.

It's good to know I don't have to be there at 6:00 AM. I am not a morning person. I was also asked to give a talk to a group of quantitative research graduate students at U of M. I want to see how time goes.

I will make sure I won't take any antibiotics for two weeks before I see him. Meanwhile I am doing well without a lot of pain.

Thank you, Kim.

JB

Kim
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

It's good to know I don't have to be there at 6:00 AM. I am not a morning person. I was also asked to give a talk to a group of quantitative research graduate students at U of M. I want to see how time goes.

I will make sure I won't take any antibiotics for two weeks before I see him. Meanwhile I am doing well without a lot of pain.

JB,

I'm confused.  Your appt is at 6 a.m., but you're not planning on being there at 6??? 😯 😯 😯

Also, did he tell you to stop taking your abx two weeks prior to your appt?  You've already had your Lyme test?

kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Kim,

No, I plan on going there the day before and hopefully to change the appointment to 8:00 AM (if I could).

Oh I see. I did not know this information. I thought I had to wash out abx for two weeks. Good to know. This way I can keep taking what I am taking.

Thank you, Kim!!!

JB

Kim
    Participant

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

No, I plan on going there the day before and hopefully to change the appointment to 8:00 AM (if I could).

Oh I see. I did not know this information. I thought I had to wash out abx for two weeks. Good to know. This way I can keep taking what I am taking. 

JB,

Dr. C. books out four months ahead and being totally booked I doubt they'll let you slide in a couple hours late.

You should call and speak to his nurse and ask about the abx to make sure you're on the same page.

kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Kim,

I will call them tomorrow morning. Good idea. If I have to see him at 6:00 AM, I will.

You mention the doctor is a laid back guy. I will have to warn my hobby to keep quiet. He loves small talk. He had a blast with all the nurses in Ida Grove. At one point, the nurse was sooooo carried away with the conversation she forgot to turn the IV on. He was supposed to be an introvert guy. Ha ha…. :dude: Perhaps I will have dr. C to check and see if he has any Lymies in his system. 😯

JBJBJB
    Participant

Hi Elaine,

I am really glad you told me this. So glad Dr. C returned your call.  It shows Dr. C does care about his patients. That must have made you feel great. I hope you will have a good visit with his Cardi. I keep my prayers for him. Hopefully he has no problem and hopefully this is just a huge herxing. AND hopefully after this mega herxing, he will be all better!!!

I have to learn from you, get organized. I can be very sloppy with paperwork. My husband is a super organized person, not me. Hey, we only need person in the family to be organized, right?:roll-laugh:[/color]

BTW, did you get bill from this telephone consulting? I read every consulting even including the nurses will be billed. Just curious.

Kim,

You are right. I called this morning, the nurse told me if I wanted to change the time, she could make one for me for late April or early May. I told her, “don't bother, I will keep this current appointment :>)” She also told me for all the new patients, they normally book them the first appointment possible because they are adviced to fasting for blood work.

J

Roz
    Participant

Dear Elaine,

This fantastic news just made my day. Your son is in my heart and prayers.

Much Love, Roz[user=379]Elaine son w/MCTD[/user] wrote:

Hi JB,

You and I were both calling Dr C on the same day. Just some info I learned today.

I called and asked scheduling to set up a conference time with Dr C. She scheduled for 11 a.m. and he called promptly. I was very organized and had everything written out to discuss. I had made a chart with my son's history of fever and abx since last April. It was extremely helpful and enlightening.

I was very pleased with Dr C and how well he listens and understands the situation. He said he would talk with my son's cardiologist if he wanted to speak with him. He also feels my son needs a combination of abx not just doxy.

XX,

Elaine

JBJBJB
    Participant

I got back from Columbia, MO.  I saw Dr. C. The first impression I had was “wow…. he is SHORT!!!” Hahaha…..I would say he is about 5'3″ or 5'4″?  AND he has a lot of grey hair…. looked like some one frosted his hair with a spray bottle.

He spent about one hour and half going through all the forms with me. He was very interested in reading my blood test results. He discussed some of my medical biography with me. He said based on the information I provided and all the test results, he thinks I have a typical case of untreated Lyme disease. He had a treatment plan for me.

So pretty much I will start out with four weeks Flagyl. He also mentioned about doxy but he decided not to give me doxy since I already had minocycline for 8 months and zithromax.

I will do some lab work this coming Monday. After that, I will start Flagyl right away. Because I had a history of C. Diff., he told me if I don't take Flagyl orally well, then he will move me to muscle injection. 

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=379]Elaine son w/MCTD[/user] wrote:

My son is a changed person, very social now! It is great to see. I feel a big relief. He is actually in Florida right now for spring break.

Go slowly with the flagyl, we actually cut it in 1/4 and took it with food and then waited a couple of days. Pulse dose for him so far works best.

Elaine,

I am really glad to hear your son's mood has been improving. That's a big step forward. It could mean the medicine is working on his brain and killing all these pretty lymie babes. I am sure his grades will get better for next semester, too.

I “watched” your boy's report each time you posted and worried I would have such huge herxing. Dr. C said I might not have it since I had Flagyl for about 30 days when I had C. Diff back in Nov 2006. I have not seen how much he prescribed for me. He also believed I will respond Flagyl better than minocyclin. I also told him I was prone to infection for IV, so he tried not to give me the IV. He will prescribe one antibiotic (I forgot the name of it) after four weeks is over. It will be muscle injection.

In order to avoid the allergy reaction, he asked his nurse to give me a test shot and let me stay in the office for 30 minutes before I could leave. It all worked out well.

I am really glad I “did my homework” before I went to see him. I read all his articles posted in his webpage. This saved a lot of time because he was trying to tell me a lot of things which were on his webpage. I kept telling him, Oh yeah, I read that….

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott across the bridge next to his office. The next day it had a heavy fog. I am so glad we did not stay far away…. it was very hard to see any thing at 5:45 AM with such heavy fog.

Thanks, Elaine, for your very much needed information. It made everything smoothly!!!

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

Remember several months ago I mentioned about my left eye which has become “Lazy eye” and could not keep it open?

Dr. C said that was part of Lyme problems. I am so glad to hear this because eventually I will be able to open it evenly with my right eye. Dr. C said a lot of Lyme patients start out on left side of facial problems. My eyes also have infection, he prescribed antibiotic eye drop for me. 

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi JB;
         I have a similar problem.In fact at the very beginning of SD I had left eye pain so bad that it felt like someone was turning a carving knife in the socket.It just about went away over the years but came back last year.Now both eyes feel swollen and I often get small eye infections.Do you sometimes get a zapping pain in one or both.It scares the s— out of me when it happens. SD was trying to make a comeback and my doc now suspects lyme and has put me on Mino,Zith,Clindy,Metronidazole and Fluconazole.I feel like a walking drug store

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

I have a similar problem.In fact at the very beginning of SD I had left eye pain so bad that it felt like someone was turning a carving knife in the socket.It just about went away over the years but came back last year.

Hi Lynne,

Yes, I get left eye pain, too. In my case, it is always left-sided and the pain is excruciating. I liked your description…it's similar for me, like an evil little man is tweaking my optic nerve. Light sensitivity becomes unbearable during these times, which can last for 3 to 5 days at a time. This was one of my earliest Lyme neuro symptoms, along with severe muscle twitching and palps.

Fun, eh? :sick:

JB, that was another interesting tidbit from Dr C…I didn't know the left side of the face/head/body was more commonly affected in Lyme. It was also the side that I had shooting pains down my leg and also sciatica. Gee – learn something every day! 😀

Peace, Maz 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘ Dr. C in Missouri’ is closed to new replies.