Home Forums General Discussion Armour Thyroid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

Hi All–

I found out today that Armour Thyroid is on backorder–the company is missing a key ingredient–may take up to two months.  I notice that many are on this–curious what you will use in its stead.

Thanks,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

JustPeachy
    Participant

Hi, Trudi,

Oh, is the Armour situation crazy, or what? Ack!

After cutting the 60s (which caused my TSH to drop because I was missing the hormones, but that's another story), I finally had to go on Synthroid (T4) and Cytomel (T3) last week. I first went on Synthroid when diagosed in 2005 and it didn't do anything, and my hair kept coming out and I was exhausted and my numbers only went up VERY slightly. So, I was hesitant to take it again. A nurse friend of mine said make sure I get Cytomel also because I wasn't converting the T4 to T3. Ack. I actually called Forest Pharmaceuticals in August and at that time they didn't know a date as their supplier did not have enough of the powered pig hormone to make the drug. The pharmacy said end of Sept. and now you say two months? So far so good on the combo drugs, I miss Armour, though. 🙁 

Marie
    Participant

Publix couldn't get it for me, but CVS had no problem.  I don't know how they were able to get their hands on it!  Maybe try calling around to a few pharmacies?  Thankfully CVS was my second try. 

orchid
    Participant

Trudi –

I heard about that, too. It's not just that it's on backorder – they've changed the formulation altogether. I'm not on Armour (my sister is) but take synthroid instead. Apparently most people are switching to Naturethyroid and doing very well on it. Same form (desicated) and gluten free, etc.

The makers of Armour don't seem to be a responsible/reputable company anymore, since they switched the formula and people are getting symptomatic again.

Naturethyroid, Westhyroid and possibly even Thyrolar (synthetic) are all good options, instead. Most people are choosing Naturethyroid, though.

I'm meeting with a new doc in a few months and might make the change to T4/T3 meds myself.

Hope this helps!

-Orchid

Kim
    Participant

I'm wrapped up in this Armour thing too.  A few months ago when Armour changed their formula all of my hypo sx came back and I didn't know why, after all, I'd been on Armour for years.  Same thing……hair falling out, dry ridgy nails, lethargy, 5 pound weight gain, etc.  I'd read that others were having the same problems with the new formula too and were switching…….easier said than done…….back to the doc for a new script (if the original was written for brand only) only to find the pharmacist couldn't get the replacements either.  My LLMD just put me on Cytomel and that is working much better so I'll probably just stick with it.  My thyroid is a mess and has been cycling all over the place for a few years, so who knows, the Cytomel may quit working soon too. :doh:

Hang in there Lyme cystas……….kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Glad to know all these information. I am almost out of it. I need to rush to CVS tomorrow for a refill.

Trudi
    Participant

Thanks, everyone, for all your input–I knew you all would come through for me :)!!

I'm in the debating process of whether I should even continue taking thyroid meds.  My numbers are fine and when I was off for a month for my thyroid scan, I didn't feel any different.  My doctor put me on because of my nodules and elevated Thyroglobulin antibodies (mine was 53 and it should be less than 20). 

I also have a new concern.  The calcium calf test that they check at each visit shows I am now deficient in calcium in my bones.  I just read on the Mayo Clinic site that “Too much thyroid hormone interferes with your body's ability to incorporate calcium into your bones.”  Mmmm??  My sister blames Synthroid for her Osteopinea (sp).  She is now on Armour, but maybe it would have happened anyway.

Little rambling going on here, not quite sure what I'm going to end up doing :headbang:.

Thanks again,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

m.
    Participant

Enough progesterone is crucial to bone health. Also, when you checked your thyroid number and they were fine, did you take your thyroid meds the day of the test? It's important to know what your numbers are while you're on a particular dose. Most people feel best with a TSH around 1 and a FT3 high in the range.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=732]m.[/user] wrote:

…when you checked your thyroid number and they were fine, did you take your thyroid meds the day of the test? It's important to know what your numbers are while you're on a particular dose. Most people feel best with a TSH around 1 and a FT3 high in the range.

Hi M.–

I wasn't on any medication when I had the test done last year.  The results were T4 free 1.10, TSH 3rd generation 3.22, and T3 free 324; just checked my results for 2006 and they are almost identical (at that time my naturopath wanted to put me on medication–I was reluctanct because I was in the “normal” range.)  Anyway, I'm not too knowledgeable about my thyroid gland and its numbers :?, but if the TSH should be around 1, then I'm high. 

Thanks for your input–

Trudi 

JBJBJB
    Participant

Trudi,

I tried to refill my AT at the CVS. I got the call back saying I'd have to wait for a couple of weeks, perhaps a month. Wow, this is very scary…. I am so glad I still have about 2 weeks supply.

m.
    Participant

Hi Trudi, it's hard to comment on your thyroid scores without ranges, and that the scores are “old”.

A common problem I see online is people taking too much thyroid. Some people are greatly helped by just a little, ie, 0.5-1.0 grains.

And middle-aged women can have thyroid problems due to low progesterone.
    For accurate results, use a saliva test. John Lee's website and books are great.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi JB–

My sister was able to do a refill for 3 months at her pharmacy.  Sam's Club would have had 90 and 120mg tablets.  I'm on 30 mgs and the pharmacist said it would not be advisable to try to cut them.  I was done with my Armour yesterday so will check with the doctor on Tuesday.

Hi m–

I'm not familiar with grains, but as I mentioned above, I'm on 30 mg.  When my sister heard that she laughed and said that was hardly worth it. 

Yesterday I did some research on the thyroid–the feel good point has a huge span–have to see what my LLMD has to say as far as an alternative to Armour and if I should just wait until it's available again–he also specializes with the thyroid. 

Thanks again, for the additional information,

Trudi

m.
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

I'm not familiar with grains, but as I mentioned above, I'm on 30 mg.

Patti D
    Participant

Hi Ladies,
    Not surprising that I may be looking for some information on this. Well based on my syptoms, my thyroid is doing absolutely nothing so I need to get some idea of what to ask for test wise and which drugs to take. Dang!
    I have most of the hypothyroid symptoms including the basal temp. at around 97.degrees-97,3 average, lovely weight gain again, tired, sore throat and the damn cyst has never left.(Kim you called it)
    6 months ago the bloodwork was all negative but correct me, isn't this blood testing not always accurate as well??

Thanks in advance for your help! Sending out some cysta love!
    Patti

m.
    Participant

Hi Patti, symptoms can overlap. Is it low thyroid? Is it low progesterone? Poor diet (not enough good fats, protein? too much sugar and refined grains?).

Do you have any recent thyroid scores? TSH, FT3, FT4?

Sex hormones by saliva?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘ Armour Thyroid’ is closed to new replies.