Home Forums General Discussion Am I having an allergic reaction?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    tbird2340
    Participant

So I took my first minocin last night around 7pm.. I was fine all night and through the morning, until now..

I get to work and my face feels like it's burning (I figure it's from the lotion I put on for my dry skin).. My co worker comes in and asks if I was ok because it looked like I had hives. :O

I went into the bathroom and I do look blotchy..

I'm afraid of a couple things.. Am I allergic and won't be able to take minocin? Is this one of those things where I should go see a doc ASAP?

tbird2340
    Participant

Well I called my doctor (GP) and made an appt for 10:15 just to be safe.. He doesn't even know I'm doing this yet (AP) so I'm not sure how he'll take that..

When I read this: Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Minocin Pellet-Filled Capsules: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty swallowing or breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue)…

I got / am scared and called..

tbird2340
    Participant

Well this is strange.. The rash is gone.. So it last for about 30-60 minutes!? Is that strange or what? I'm still going to my GP at 10:15 and praying that he won't say to not take it..

Could a moisturizing lotion coupled with the minocin do this or is that impossible? I've used said lotion before and never had any issues.. My face was the first thing I noticed.. It was burning and I figured it was just the lotion for whatever reason causing it to burn…

I went into the bathroom and it was all red.. My neck had a few blotches and I had some blotches on my arms.. Legs, chest, back, and stomach were all clear..

😕

Mumof3
    Participant

When I first started taking Minocycline my face was very red and sensitive. I put my usual cream on that I have been wearing for years and it burned my skin. I asked the pharmacist about this and he said that it can make your skin red and sensitive. I now use a very mild moisturizer instead. I no longer have the redness and sensitivity. It only lasted a few weeks. Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing. It was not a rash. It was more redness and burning.

tbird2340
    Participant

Thank you very much for the reply..

I know 100% I put the cream on my face and I'm not sure I put it on my arms / neck but it is very possible that I did.. I'm thinking that has to be the cause because why would it take so long to come about (the rash)?

I took it at 7pm and didn't notice anything at all until I got to work (which was about 20 minutes after I applied the lotion)…

Mumof3
    Participant

It sounds like what happened to me. My face was very red and sensitive for a few weeks. I was only taking 100 mg on M, W, and F. This happened right away after taking one or two capsules. After a few weeks, my skin returned to normal. Maybe you could try a lotion for sensitive skin. This is what I use now and don't have any problems.

tbird2340
    Participant

Well just got back.. He said he does believe it was from the minocin but I will take another one on Friday (skip Wednesday so if it does happen I'm not at work)..

If it does happen again and I get the rash I guess that means I'm allergic.. What then? I'm so scared that the whole family of tetracyclines will cause this. 🙁

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

Just caught your thread…sorry not to have posted earlier so you could go armed with this info to your doc. Please check this link:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

Specifically, point 3 in differentiating a herx from a flare and an allergic reaction:

“A marked increase in eosinophils (for instance about 30%) is an indication of an allergic reaction to the drug.”

Also, check out this brochure from the main website about the Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

“Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction

Although RA is discussed in particular, patients with other inflammatory rheumatic diseases will recognize many issues mentioned here.

The Jarisch -Herxheimer, or Herxheimer reaction, was named for the German dermatologist, Karl Herxheimer (1844-1947). Dorlands Medical Dictionary refers to the Herxheimer reaction as a transient, short-term, immunological reaction commonly seen following antibiotic treatment of early and later stage [infectious] diseases which [may be] manifested by fever, chills, headache, myalgias (muscle pain), and exacerbations of cutaneous lesions. The reaction has been attributed to liberation of endotoxins-like substances or of antigens (a substance which causes an immune reaction) from the killed or dying microorganisms.

So, if you are concerned about an allergy to the tetracyclines, then a blood test should show a marked increase in eosinophils and help you with this. Problem is, you've only taken one cap, so your eosinophils may not be all that elevated yet. Your idea to start low and slow is a very good one, because as the herx info above states, many people notice they get skin eruptions when on AP. I had strange rashes come and go for a period of about 8 or 9 months that were hive-like, but then morphed into what looked like little dime and quarter-sized scaly patches that didn't respond to anti-fungal or steroid creams. I mentioned this to my LLMD and he wasn't too concerned…they see so many weird and wonderful things, because they're dealing with people on antibiotics all day long, just like AP docs. So, it might not hurt to put in a call to Dr T, if you experience this again on Fri when you take your next pill.

The skin is the largest organ in the body and we do a lot of detoxing through our skin. So, it's possible you are herxing…but, if one is fearful it might be an allergy to the tetracyclines, this should always be investigated further, particular if breathing problems, swollen tongue, etc start to be experienced. Also, gauging by your sweet baby girl's appearance, you're also likely quite fair-skinned. We tend to be a bit more prone to skin manifestations than those with more swarthy, olive skins.

You could try taking a dose of benedryl (in the evenings due to drowsiness) when you take your mino and see if that helps a bit. Lynnie can point you in the right direction to find out more about this.

Hang in there…some pretty weird things happen with herxes while on AP. It can be very easy to put everything down to herxing, though, so it's wise to get concerns checked out with your AP doc for peace of mind. 😉 

Peace, Maz

tbird2340
    Participant

So this 45 minute rash could have just been a herx? Wow.. That is good to know. I will see what happens Friday/Saturday.

Is it possible to herx after only one pill / so quickly?

Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

Is it possible to herx after only one pill / so quickly?

Yes, herxing can begin within a couple hours of taking mino or it may take up to a couple weeks or more. It likely depends on one's hypersensitivity levels and pathogen mix. When I first started minocycline in low, pulsed doses, within a couple hours I was feeling its effects in my joints. My off days tended to be better. So, this told me that the antibiotic was reaching its target. Herxes manifest in various ways for people, though. One lady here on the BB remarked that she had rashes appearing over her joints as herxes. My rashes tended to be more on my thighs, upper arms, back and abdomen. They'd come and go and eventually just didn't come back. I was concerned at the time, because I was taking bicillin IM shots (as well as tetracycline and clarithromycin) and wondered if I was developing an allergy to penicillin. I was tested and it came back negative, so I just put it down to herxing.

Hypersensitivity reactions can be hard to distinguish from true allergy, though. I think this is what makes differentiating between herxing vs true allergy thing a bit muddy sometimes. A full-blown allergic reaction would be very hard to miss, as one would have difficulty breathing (as in anaphylactic shock), your mouth and tongue would swell and/or you'd be covered in hives, etc. The whole hypersensitivity issue is a little different and worth reading up on this under the Physician's Packet on the main website. It's why starting low and slow is such a good idea with rheumatic diseases.

See how you go on Friday when you take your second dose…if it happens again and is worse, then it might be worth putting a call into Dr T to see what she thinks and if testing your eosinophils are worth doing at this point. She may also be able to reassure you and give you some advice on benedryl dosing.

Peace, Maz

tbird2340
    Participant

Will do Maz.. Thanks so much for all your help and knowledge!

Jo
    Participant
    davew
    Participant

How much MSM are you taking and how quickly did you increase dosage, Tom? When I did MSM previously, I upped my dosage to quickly and the detox result was a hive-like rash all over. It was miserable.

The reason I ask is that if you just started the Mino, you are going to be detoxing to the max and this may be how it is coming out.

Dave

tbird2340
    Participant

I can't remember the exact date I started MSM.. But I started at 3000 per day (2×1500). I wait about 3 days and then add a pill.. I just added another one yesterday and I am currently up to 11 per day. 3 in the morning, 4 at lunch, and then 4 at supper.

To this point I haven't felt any changes as far as detox symptoms and MSM (that I know of). I do get fatigued but not sure if that's the RA, MSM detox, or just being tired?!

davew
    Participant

If you are at 26500mg a day in that short time, I would seriously be looking at a detox reaction from the MSM. Based on the figures that you posted, you went from zero to 26,500mg in one month (approx). That is pretty fast. I am at less than that at 2 months, so if I were you, I would back off of the MSM for a few days, not completely, but reduced by half and see if the rash clears. MSM is a great chelation substance and will detox your body in a major way. Adding the Mino to the mix created much goop to get rid of.

For what it is worth, it took about a week for mine to clear and I used Calamine lotion to ease the itching.

I am not a Doc at all, but am giving you this based on my experience with MSM. If you are at all uncomortable with it, please check with your Doc. The fatigue may be attributed to this also….

Best to you…

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘ Am I having an allergic reaction?!’ is closed to new replies.