Home Forums General Discussion Am I having an allergic reaction?!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    awesomemb
    Participant

I got facial hives a lot in the beginning. Sometimes it was hours after I took the pill. I had big welts and sometimes tiny bumps. I would not say allergic. But, I would carry some benedryl just incase. But, you are sensitive to the drug. I take a lower dose. If hives persist, maybe you need to take smaller pill dose. Even when I skipped a dose, I would get hives. So just keep notes and figure out what schedule and dosage is right for you. 🙂 MB

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

tbird – just breathe easy. Read up again on the herx stuff on the main page, the book and look up http://www.rheumatic.org. and go to the FAQ section point 6 and 7 – really good info about herxing there.  
    [/color]
    On Road Back site, there is good information in the Education section brochure sheets: here is the link: https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/91.html

Another in the Physicians Packet is about how to distinguish a herx from a flare: https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

It is not unusual for us to wonder if we're doing the right thing in the early days – we are all so used to believing that the conventional wisdom on RA MUST be right that it's hard to step out of that paradigm and swim upstream. Swimming upstream is something that takes time to feel comfortable with, but boy does it reap rewards over time.  Not only in physical strength, but in many other ways. I went to jelly in the first 3 months every time I hit a blip and I just kept posting for reassurance. Post away, we're here for you. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tbird2340
    Participant

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

If you are at 26500mg a day in that short time, I would seriously be looking at a detox reaction from the MSM. Based on the figures that you posted, you went from zero to 26,500mg in one month (approx). That is pretty fast. I am at less than that at 2 months, so if I were you, I would back off of the MSM for a few days, not completely, but reduced by half and see if the rash clears. MSM is a great chelation substance and will detox your body in a major way. Adding the Mino to the mix created much goop to get rid of.

For what it is worth, it took about a week for mine to clear and I used Calamine lotion to ease the itching.

I am not a Doc at all, but am giving you this based on my experience with MSM. If you are at all uncomortable with it, please check with your Doc. The fatigue may be attributed to this also….

Best to you…

Dave

I'm not up to 26,500.. I'm up to 11 pills per day @ 1,500 per pill so 16,500.. I started 10/26 at 2 per day then went to 3 per day on 10/29 then went up to 4 per day on 11/1, then up to 6 per day on 11/7, then up to 7 per day on 11/10, then up to 8 per day on 11/14, then up to 9 per day on 11/20, then up to 10 per day on 11/25, then up to 11 per day which I'm at now on 12/1..

As you can see it was a gradual increase. I never seen any effects good or bad from it (that I could tell).

I don't think the rash was the MSM as it would have to be quite the coincidence that I never had any rash type reaction from MSM for over a month that I have been on it and then the day after I take my first minocine I get the rash..

I just hope it's a herx like Maz and others suggested and that I'm not allergic.

Also, the rash is already gone Dave. It only lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Thanks again to all that replied. Your help is greatly appreciated.

davew
    Participant

I guess my math is really hurtin' today…:doh:… Glad to hear that it has cleared up.

DAve

tbird2340
    Participant

Ok.. Had the exact same rash / flushness / blotchiness at the exact same time this morning! I don't think it's the minocine because I only took one Monday (first mino ever, just started), then had rash Tuesday.. So I thought that was it for sure..

Tuesday had rash, Wednesday didn't have anything, today had rash..

I'm trying to think of the things I have done differently recently.. I recently started taking 2000mg of Vitamin C per day (1,000 in morning and 1,000 in night).. This was per Dr. T but I'm wondering if that's too high of a dose? I started that on 11/25..

MSM, I'm up to 11 per day and I think I went to that level on 11/28 or 11/29. Like I said in my previous posts.. I've never had any reaction good or bad with MSM but maybe this amount is giving me issues?

Here's the thing.. Yesterday, I didn't have the rash.. Also yesterday, I forgot to take my morning pills (3 MSM, 2 Vitamin C, Fish Oil, Vitamin B, and a Probiotic).. So, maybe that's why I didn't get the rash yesterady? If it's the MSM or the C I would have had a lower dose yesterday then I did on Tuesday and today..

Thanks for helping me figure this out everyone!

tbird2340
    Participant

And the other thing I recently started was acidophilus 3x per day.. Not sure if it could cause this?!

tbird2340
    Participant

Ok. We (my wife and I) think we've figured it out.. I had the rash again this morning.. This morning I only took my B3, Fish Oil, and probiotic..

I've been on the B3 and Fish Oil for about 3 months but we think it's the B3 because of the niacin..

“A niacin skin rash that may or may not be itchy can be a side effect with vitamin B3. With the rash, skin flushing (skin turning red and feeling warm) especially on the face and neck areas usually is present.”

It's weird that I've taken the same dose for 3 months and just now it started happening.. I do think that is the cause though..

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

It's weird that I've taken the same dose for 3 months and just now it started happening.. I do think that is the cause though..

Tom,

Glad you figured out which one caused your rash. I went through the exact same thing. I remember when I was in Iowa doing my treatment, I went to this Chinese restaurant to have lunch. There was oyster sauce in the veggie. After 30 minutes, my hands and neck had patchy red rash. I did not have this problem before. 

Since then, whenever I have seafood, I have rash. I guess it's minocyclin/ XYZ interaction effect.

JB

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tom – that is because you are now taking an antibiotic. Read the following on interractions of B3 (otherwise known as Niacin) taken from Vitamin Update. Lynnie

(interractions) With drugs
    Niacin may reduce the toxic side effects on heart tissue of the anticancer drug adriamycin without reducing its effectiveness in the treatment of cancer. It may also enhance the effectiveness of anticonvulsant drugs such as phenobarbital. Antibiotics may cause niacin flushes to become more severe. The drug, isoniazid, may cause niacin deficiency disease as it reduces the conversion of tryptophan to niacin. Oral contraceptives appear to increase the conversion efficiency of tryptophan to niacin.

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

tbird2340
    Participant

Thanks so much Lynnie.. Then that 100% settles the mystery! It wasn't an allergic reaction, it wasn't a herx, and it wasn't MSM detox..

It was B3 (niacin) and the reason it happened now and didn't for the previous 3 months  I have been taking it is because of the reason you posted!

Thanks so much!

Tom

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

You're very welcome Tom! It's probably a timely reminder also for us all to remember that supplements are chemicals of one kind or another that we introduce into our bodies and they have actions and possible interractions with other supplements and prescribed drugs. We do tend to forget thay they need to be factored into the mix. I have learned something here about Niacin – hope your rash clears up soon! Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

You're very welcome Tom! It's probably a timely reminder also for us all to remember that supplements are chemicals of one kind or another that we introduce into our bodies and they have actions and possible interractions with other supplements and prescribed drugs. We do tend to forget thay they need to be factored into the mix. I have learned something here about Niacin – hope your rash clears up soon! Lynnie  

Hi Lynnie,

I also remember reading something about Niacin a while back, but this thread bought it back to me. I have started to take a meba B, and also take a multi vit both with Niacin, and my skin was feeling a bit flushy,  only mild though, could be anything I guess, so I went straight to your history to find out if you were taking B. You are! I love the way you detail and explain everything in depth.

P.S. it was awful yesterday with this website down!

tbird, how is your rash going, has it cleared……………….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

tbird2340
    Participant

Oh yea.. It only lasted 30-60 minutes each day.. It was at the same time each day and I think it was because I took it on an empty stomach.. Still, I've dropped down my B3 to once a day instead of the 3x per day and I haven't had it since..

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

Oh yea.. It only lasted 30-60 minutes each day.. It was at the same time each day and I think it was because I took it on an empty stomach.. Still, I've dropped down my B3 to once a day instead of the 3x per day and I haven't had it since..

Thats amazing, I have just read that all we need is vit B12, I will have to do more research on this, have a great day………….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Guys – I was told this many years ago by a Doctor: if you are taking one B vitamin for a specific deficiency, you also need to take a B- complex as a base to ensure the righjt balance in the body. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘ Am I having an allergic reaction?!’ is closed to new replies.