Home Forums General Discussion what brand name for probiotics? any one have a good one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    swollen
    Participant

I ran out of the probiotic that I took- I got them from a family member and weren't expired or all used up. So I'm looking for info. on what kind to buy now? Do the ones at the local drug store do the job?

Donna RA
    Participant

Hi Swollen,

I use Metagenics Utra Flora DF, and you won't find them at the local pharmacy.  Try your local health food store.  Most likely they or other brands will be in the cooler, although I do purchase mine at a local ND office. 

Good Luck,

Donna RA

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Swollen,

I've been using PB8 (in vegetarian caps) that I buy online from http://www.vitacost.com  I was getting them from the local vitamin store, but they were half the price from vitacost online. I usually get 5 or 6 bottles all in one order, along with anything else I need, to save on shipping and they last a good few months. I take 8 capsules a day and this brand has worked well for me so far.

Peace, Maz

swollen
    Participant

Hi- I just ordered the probiotics from vitacost.com, also ordered the gse. I see that they have good prices. As I think I have a yeast infection from not taking probiotics too long and taking antibiotics by them self- I ordered the gse as I see it will help with yeast, so I will give it a try. Since I have been taking the antibiotics since July, I have been feeling a little better. I will keep posting as to the less pain I have:D:D:D

RA- 1998?

monocycline 100mg 2x day/every other day

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Maz……….I have checked out that site for probiotics and was thinking about ordering a few bottles as they are much cheaper than the ones I buy here.

I thought though, probiotics had to be refridgerated and how did you settle on taking 8 a day, I have been taking 2 daily and only been on AP for 2 weeks but already think there is a yeast problem.

Thanks Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Annie
    Participant

Annie

I use Inner Health Plus – Dairy Free – from chemist.  They keep them in the fridge and cost about $25.00 for 30.  Expensive I know, but I reckon they are pretty good.

Cheerio

Annie

Parisa
    Participant

Theralac consistently get good reviews from Lymenet.  VSL3 is used when people have problems with c. dificile.  I buy both and also get primadophilus from the refrigerator case at the health food store.  Mix and match them up!

http://www.theralac.com/

http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=807]Rockin Annie[/user] wrote:

Maz……….I have checked out that site for probiotics and was thinking about ordering a few bottles as they are much cheaper than the ones I buy here.

I thought though, probiotics had to be refridgerated and how did you settle on taking 8 a day, I have been taking 2 daily and only been on AP for 2 weeks but already think there is a yeast problem.

Hi Annie,

Although it doesn't say that PB8 needs to be refridgerated on the bottle, I usually pop it in the fridge once opened. I was buying a more expensive probiotic prior to using PB8, but when old timer, Richie, mentioned he was doing very well on this much cheaper brand, I decided to switch. I decided my dose by gradually increasing from the recommended dose on the bottle to see how my gut responded and just stuck with 8 caps, as I seemed to do well on this amount.

If you already have a yeast problem, you might need to ask your physician for a script for something stronger…a washthrough, like Nystatin, or a systemic, like Diflucan. Unfortunately, once there is a yeast issue, probiotics aren't enough to knock it out. They are only good for helping to prevent candida overgrowth.

Really, as far as probiotics go, everyone has their favorite brand and it's really just about trying a few and seeing what works best for you, because the status of everyone's gut fauna will be different. Some people prefer kerfir and making their own probiotic yogurt, which I tried, but just didn't take to. Others buy a few brands and use a combo or rotate their probiotic brands to get as many varied organisms as possible. I just decided to try something a little more affordable at the time, it seemed to do the trick and so I haven't bothered to try anything else. 😉

Peace, Maz

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thanks Maz, I will see the Doc, I have been trying to ignore it in hope that it will go away, I have been told also because of the high humidity here, yeast is a big problem anyway even if not on antibiotics.

I will try the combo of brands, and trial and error the dose as I stay away from dairy and have done for a long time because of my Bronchiectasis.

Candida is such a yukky thing and didn't know how much people suffered with it until I came to Cairns.

Thanks again Maz……….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

swollen
    Participant

Because the yeast problem was mentioned here- I was wondering if the GSE works to get rid of it. I just ordered it because my doc. wouldn't perscribe diflucan. But most likely I could have one after all I've been reading and mainly because I wasn't taking probiotics until about 3 weeks ago. If anyone is interested in this- I was reading that coconut oil is good for yeast problems.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=546]swollen[/user] wrote:

If anyone is interested in this- I was reading that coconut oil is good for yeast problems.

That is good to know; my doctor has me on 1 tablespoon a day.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

swollen
    Participant

I think I might add the coconut oil too. Is your doctor a rheumie doc.? I found this from reading in a book and  other doctors believe in it too. Was there a yeast problem? Hope to hear how you are doing.

swollen
    Participant

I forgot to put in my last post, before this one, that I replied to Trudi – 😎

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Swollen–

My doctor is a Board-Certified Internist/Holistic doctor.  I'm seeing him for Lyme and this is part of the protocol.  There was no yeast involvement.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

m.
    Participant

We take coconut oil off the spoon here at our house (yuck, it's like eating crayon wax….), and we cook & bake in it. I usually order it from iHerb.com

I use the RejuviFlora pack from Interplexus for probiotics, and in the past, I've used Pro-Ent-2 for yeast. Both are Interplexus products, but I ordered them from Nutripharma.

http://www.nutri-pharma.com/index.php

http://www.interplexus.com/

I also use Natren's Megadophilus as a vaginal probiotic suppository ~1x per week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ what brand name for probiotics? any one have a good one?’ is closed to new replies.