Home Forums General Discussion what brand name for probiotics? any one have a good one?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tbird2340
    Participant

I had my first AP visit Monday and she recommended PB8 as well. She says that is what she takes..

Maz, you said you take 8 per day and that you found this out by your gut telling you? How does it tell you? Did you try 9 and your stomach hurt so you backed it off? Just curious so I know how many I should take..

Thanks! 😀

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=851]tbird2340[/user] wrote:

Maz, you said you take 8 per day and that you found this out by your gut telling you? How does it tell you? Did you try 9 and your stomach hurt so you backed it off? Just curious so I know how many I should take..

Hi Tom,

Boy…hard to remember now as this was two years ago. I think I started with 2 caps and just worked up every few days to the 8. You'll know by stool consistency, to be perfectly frank. 😉 Too few, while on antibiotics, and you'll probably have loose or fluffy stools. Too many and you'll probably be a bit constipated. The goal is to be relieving yourself at least once a day and two or three times is even healthier to keep the toxins moving out of the gut.

I've never had stomach pain from probiotics…they're relatively innocuous. I used to think that only the enteric coated kind would be of benefit, but if that were the case and stomach acid destroyed their value, then that would mean that kefir and plain, unsweetened yogurt wouldn't work either. My Lyme doc said he just buys the cheap chewables from his local pharmacy and puts a handful in his pocket to chew throughout the day. PB8 has worked well for me, though, and they're very reasonably priced through Vitacost, so I just stuck with those.

There is lots of opinion about which probiotic is best, so just shop around and type in “probiotics” in the search box…you'll get a lot of hits on previous threads where people have mentioned what they prefer and works for them.

Whatever brand you decide on, just take the recommended dose on the bottle to start and then increase by a cap every couple of days. Take a look at your poop :sick: and then see what works well for you. A nice, solid, medium brown stool is the goal. Sorry to be so visual, but there's no getting around it…we all poop.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving, Tom, to you and yours! :roll-laugh: 

Peace, Maz

tbird2340
    Participant

Thanks Maz! The more information the better!

Have a great Thanksgiving yourself!!!! 😉

Sierra
    Participant

Dr. Andrew Weil recommends Culturelle–available unrefrigerated at Walgreens. I tried it and like it. Recently I've been using Florajen, a refrigerated probiotic I found at my co-op. They were out of that last time, so I bought something else. (I go to the co-op more than Walgreen's, otherwise I'd be fine with Culurelle.) Basically, I know something's not working when I feel a yeast infection coming on. That's my quality test.

S.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I havent started AP yet but in prepearation I am taking LactoViden from Metagenics. I know Metagenics is a great brand that is the only brand of supplements my ND gives me, you can order it online, buy it from a n ND, check your local health food store and even get it off of Ebay (bu make sure it is sealed and from a respected seller!)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ what brand name for probiotics? any one have a good one?’ is closed to new replies.