Home Forums General Discussion Warfarin

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

I'm using a binder of CSM to eliminate the metals. 

Hi Kim–

What is CSM?

Have you heard of anyone using this method of chelating and how well it worked?:

http://www.resultsrna.com/products/acz_nano_what_is_zeolite.php

Through my doctor's office, I have been using their colloidal silver product which I am very happy with.  To chelate, my doctor wants me to have high dose Vit C IV's–I thought I was going to do it, but now I'm hesitating.  Anyway, I went to the website today and found that they have this product.  A Google search showed quite a bit on it.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Kim
    Participant

Trudi,

CSM is cholestyramine.  It is an old cholesterol lowering medication that works well to remove toxins.  My Lyme doc recommended it for me.

Cholestyramine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[align=right]

Cholestyramine[/align]

Systematic (IUPAC) name

?

Identifiers

CAS number
    11041-12-6

ATC code
    C10AC01

PubChem
     ?

Chemical data

Formula
     ?

Mol. mass
    Average MW exceeds 106 Daltons

Pharmacokinetic data

Bioavailability
     ?

Metabolism
    bile acids

Half life
    .1 hr

Excretion
    feces

Therapeutic considerations

Pregnancy cat.

C(US)

Legal status

Routes
    gastrointestinal
    Cholestyramine or colestyramine (Questran, Questran Light, Cholybar) is a bile acid sequestrant, which binds bile in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent its reabsorption. The resin is a strong anion exchange resin, which means that it can exchange its chloride anions with anionic bile acids in the gastrointestinal tract and bind them strongly in the resin matrix. The functional group of the anion exchange resin is a quaternary ammonium group attached to an inert styrene-divinylbenzene copolymer.

Cholestyramine removes bile acids from the body by forming insoluble complexes with bile acids in the intestine, which are then excreted in feces. When bile acids are excreted, plasma cholesterol is converted to bile acid to normalize bile acid levels. This conversion of cholesterol into bile acids lowers plasma cholesterol concentrations. Bile acid sequestrants such as cholestyramine are primarily used to treat hypercholesterolemia, but can also be used to treat the pruritus, or itching, that often occurs during liver failure due to the liver's inability to eliminate bile.

Cholestyramine is also used to prevent diarrhea in Crohn's disease patients who have undergone post-ileal resection. The terminal portion of the small bowel (ileum) is where bile acids are reabsorbed. When this section is removed, the bile acids pass into the large bowel and attract water due to their osmotic effect, causing diarrhea. Cholestyramine prevents this increase in water by making the bile acids insoluble and osmotically inactive.

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Kim–

Thanks for the information on cholestyramine; I checked it out online and it seems really potent.  I wonder what it would do to my already low cholesterol?  Little nervous about cholesterol drugs, but will talk to my doctor about it.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

1Aggie
    Participant

Hi Kim, I noticed you mentioned heavy metal load.  I am unsure of my load as of yet but had my first chelation treatment recently and also take oral chelation.  Is what you mentioned the same thing?  I am a little concerned about chelation because I am worried it will take away all the necessary minerals.  I too have somewhat sticky blood and my MD said all people with AI diseases have some problem  with sticky blood.  I am taking Nattokinease for it and hope it has improved.  Will have blood tests soon to check if it has gotten better.  I eat mainly greens and haven't worried about the Vit K in them.

Dx with CREST 2/08. minocycline 2x/day M-F, LDN 3mg nightly, 90 mg of Armour thyroid. Probiotics, milk thistle, L-argine, L-lysine, natto + serro, 81mg baby aspirin, daily multiple, 1000mg Vit C, lutein, cinnamon extract, evening primrose oil, omega 3s, Ubiquinol 100mg, alpha lipoic acid and exercise when I can.

Kim
    Participant

Hi 1Aggie,

My LLMD had me use DMSA for metal chelation, but warns it needs to be supervised because stirring up metals can be dangerous.  I'm not sure what type of treatment you've had so can't comment.

I've heard that cilantro is also good for heavy metal chelation, which is good because I love cilantro.  I've been making a cilantro pesto and putting it on everything…….yum.

In a food processor I put:  1 bunch cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, salt and pepper and pulse, at the end I add about 1 T. grated Parm and slightly pulse one more time.

Take care…..kim

A Friend
    Participant

Lynne G, All,

Found the following information “all about Vitamin K” which discusses Vitamin K deficiency while on antibiotics or when there are certain other diagnoses present and wanted to add these links to this thread.  The 2nd of these gives detailed information about Vitamin K and Warfarin. 

http://www.howstuffworks.com/vitamin-k.htm/printable

How Vitamin K  Works
    by Jennifer Brett, N.D.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/jun2007_report_vitamink_01.htm
    REPORT:  VITAMIN K & WARFARIN
    Stabilizing Anticoagulant Therapy?While Protecting Cardiovascular and Bone Health By Laurie Barclay, MD

AF

Kim
    Participant

Thanks, AF, very interesting.  After reading the links, I'm happy I never gave up the healthy Vit K foods, even with my thick, sticky blood. 😉

Take care……kim

p.s.  You and I had the same hypercoagulation panel run with Hemex labs, and like you, I tested high in 3 out of the 4 categories.

Trudi
    Participant

Found the following information “all about Vitamin K”

Hi Friend–

Thanks for posting the articles.  I'm glad to see that

“Green tea is another good source with one cup giving you your daily requirement of this nutrient.  (Vit K)”

but will make sure to not overdo it!!

Kim–

I'm sure you saw this part, but if not…

“…cholestyramine to lower blood can interfere with vitamin K absorption.”

Never heard of cholestyramine before–now it's popping up all over the place :).

I came across this article the other day:

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n11/abs/1601459a.html

Checked the connection on the Internet–alcohol in reducing CRP and fibrinogen– and came up with a lot of sites.  So, I've decided to have just a bit of wine with dinner and hope it helps to reduce my fibrinogen and CRP :).

Take care,

Trudi

Kim
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Kim–

Checked the connection on the Internet–alcohol in reducing CRP and fibrinogen– and came up with a lot of sites.  So, I've decided to have just a bit of wine with dinner and hope it helps to reduce my fibrinogen and CRP :).

Trudi, I like the way you think…………this plan definitely works for me. :roll-laugh:

kim

Trudi
    Participant

Trudi, I like the way you think…………this plan definitely works for me. :roll-laugh:

Kim–

I just knew you would like this :roll-laugh:!!!!

Trudi

Kim
    Participant

Kim–

I just knew you would like this :roll-laugh:!!!!

Absolutely!  Do you think the Dutch did another study supporting the use of caffeine? :roll-laugh:

A Friend
    Participant

Thanks, AF, very interesting.  After reading the links, I'm happy I never gave up the healthy Vit K foods, even with my thick, sticky blood. 😉

Take care……kim

p.s.  You and I had the same hypercoagulation panel run with Hemex labs, and like you, I tested high in 3 out of the 4 categories.

Kim,

The failed three parts of a 4-part Hemex test is not the only thing we have in common.  If genetics count here, we may be descended from the same “tree.” 

I also was dx'd with some heavy metals; initially dx was thought to be either RA and/or Lupus and/or MCTD; have had acute onset of uveitis; was on cholestyramine for neurotoxin elimination;  found infrared sauna helpful… and probably some I forgot. 

Kind of makes me afraid to begin that parasite cleanse….lol…lol…lol!  :roll-laugh:

Just kidding… I'm looking forward to the challenge of it! 

AF

Your/Kim's profile shows:____________________
    SD, RA, MCTD, Thyroid, Sjogren's, Uveitis, Lyme dx 9/08, AP 8/05-3/08, MP 3/08-8/08, AP/Lyme protocol 9/08-current, Celiac dx-1/09, infrared sauna therapy, 3/09-parasite cleanse, oh my!
    2009…..”whatever it takes”

A Friend
    Participant

Found the following information “all about Vitamin K”

Hi Friend–

Thanks for posting the articles.  I'm glad to see that

“Green tea is another good source with one cup giving you your daily requirement of this nutrient.  (Vit K)”

but will make sure to not overdo it!!

Kim–

I'm sure you saw this part, but if not…

“…cholestyramine to lower blood can interfere with vitamin K absorption.”

Never heard of cholestyramine before–now it's popping up all over the place :).

Take care,

Trudi

Trudi,

I've read that purple grape juice from the health store (without added sugar) is also good for fibrinogen.

On the subject of Cholestyramine, it has been around for quite a few years — even before it began being used for neurotoxin elimination.  In my opinion, it is not a drug to be used lightly.  It can cause severe problems in some people, i.e. bowel obstruction and other things, like causing lack of absorption of nutrients.  

I also seem to remember that some with a certain set of problems can have quite an adverse reaction.  I must have been one of those, because not only did being on the two abx (Minocin and Zithromax) result in eventual acute horrendous onset of pain that lasted at least two weeks, but also before that I was gradually developing sciatic-type symptoms (never had these before). 

I had previously read Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker's work on his use of this with some patients, who had to first be treated with a drug known as ACTOS (believe I'm remembering correctly, that he was referring to its use prior to using Cholestyramine).  Without first treatment with ACTOS, I believe he wrote they could have pretty terrible reactions, and I believe referring to this as a “cytokine storm.”  Since my own episode, I've 'parroted' those two words.  What I had forgotten in a previous post was that prior to the horrendous pain reaction I had, my AP physician had again suggested I take the Cholestyramine, and I had been on it briefly before the terrible pain syndrome struck.  (Wish I'd journaled daily prior to and during this traumatic experience.) 

Will come back and edit and add anything that I find from reading Shoemaker's writing on this subject that might be enlightening (I have his book). 

AF

EDIT:  ADDED:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/scottforsgren/biotoxin%20pathway.html
    Biotoxin Pathway Holds Key Pieces of Puzzle in Solving Chronic Illness
    [/color]
    [/color] 
    [excerpt from above site]

Treatment for biotoxins will often incorporate targeted gene therapy using Actos. Actos is a drug approved for the treatment of diabetes that also has a significant number of benefits for those with biotoxin-associated illness. Beyond being anti-inflammatory, Actos lowers leptin, lowers MMP9, raises VEGF, and positively affects other markers not discussed in the scope of this article. It is one of the most important interventions known in treating biotoxin illnesses.

In fact, for people with Lyme disease, CSM alone may create a significant intensification of symptoms similar to a Herxheimer reaction. This intensification is observed in over 50% of patients and is likely the result of a cytokine storm. This storm is effectively blocked by pretreatment use of Actos. This is a very important part of treating a biotoxin illness in someone with Lyme disease. CSM alone is generally more difficult for that patient to tolerate and less successful in terms of eventual outcome. The benefits of CSM therapy are limited to the binding of toxins; it cannot do more than that.

Unfortunately, Actos confers none of these important benefits if the patient continues to consume a high-glycemic index diet. Dr. Shoemaker specifically uses a noamylose diet that restricts the intake of carbohydrates, which contain amylose. These consist of wheat, rice, oats, barley, rye, bananas, and any vegetable that grows beneath the ground. Failure to implement this restriction will result in a less than optimal outcome.

Kim
    Participant

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

Kim,

Kind of makes me afraid to begin that parasite cleanse….lol…lol…lol!  :roll-laugh:

You should be afraid, very afraid! :doh:

Trudi
    Participant

Do you think the Dutch did another study supporting the use of caffeine? :roll-laugh:

Here is some positive news on coffee:

Coffee: The New 'Miracle' Health Drink

Peter Martin, MD
    Vanderbilt University
    ccording to the latest research, coffee is an extremely healthful drink. Recent studies have found that coffee…

Reduces risk for cardiovascular disease.

Helps the liver — reducing risk for liver cancer (by up to 50%, in one study) and protecting against chronic liver disease, such as alcohol-related cirrhosis.

Reduces risk for Parkinson's disease by as much as half.

Is the number-one source of antioxidants in the American diet — ahead of fruits, vegetables, tea, wine and chocolate.

Contains a high level of soluble dietary fiber, reducing risk for gallstones (by up to 25% in one study).

Contains elements that are known to help prevent colon cancer.

Reduces soreness in muscles after exercising.

Improves mental ability among seniors. In one study, people over age 65 who drank coffee 30 minutes before a memory test scored higher than those who did not.

How much to drink: Experts suggest two to four cups a day, but many say there is no need to worry about an upper limit. In general, if you can sleep at night, you are not drinking too much. If you enjoy coffee, drink it.

Now I feel good drinking my morning cup of coffee–two might even be better :)!!

Trudi

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ Warfarin’ is closed to new replies.