Home Forums General Discussion UTI Sign of herxing??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

It's very high in salicylates. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

kat
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

It's very high in salicylates. Lynnie

Apparently that's bad? Why?

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

So I went to my OB-GYN's for the urine test to see if I have a UTI, the nurse said that there was noe bacteria or anything “off” in my urine test. She is going to talk to my Dr to see if we will treat it with diflucan (as a yeast inf.)…

kat
    Participant

Ok, so I looked up the salicylates to see what was so bad about them, and I still don't get it. It sounds like they reduce  pain and fever so I just don't understand why we are supposed to avoid  them? Maybe I'm just stupid but would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me? Thanks.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=420]kat[/user] wrote:

Ok, so I looked up the salicylates to see what was so bad about them, and I still don't get it. It sounds like they reduce  pain and fever so I just don't understand why we are supposed to avoid  them? Maybe I'm just stupid but would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me? Thanks.

Hi Kat,

Some people are sensitive to salicylates, I haven't really looked into it, but maybe the link below might help you understand.

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factsalicylates2.htm

Hope this helps a touch…………….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Momma, How are you feeling today, have you started the Diflican yet, maybe you need to up your probiotics if its a yeast infection, my goodness the yeasties does sneak up on you when your not looking.  I remember getting a yeast infection every time I looked around especially here in Cairns, it drove me crazy, until I started my probiotics.

Good luck and hope you are feeling better…………………….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

A Friend
    Participant

[user=944]mommaof2princesses[/user] wrote:

Hi,

This is kind of a weird question, but could  a Urinary Tract Infection be part of herxing? When I saw Dr. S he said that we were stirring up alot of bugs…so theoretically could some of these bugs move into my UT? I feel like I am getting a UTI and wasn't sure if this is herxing or coincindental (not that I really believe in coincidence anymore:doh:) I don't think it's a yeast infection although it could be the start of one (I am praying it's not!!) I just had 9 clindy IVs last week does anyone have any input or advice?

Thanks!

PS yes I am taking my probiotics and yes I am avoiding all sugar, yeast and processed food LOL

Momma,

Are you familiar with testing your pH?  If you are, you might want to do that upon awakening in the morning (before drinking or eating anything).  Then again midway between breakfast and lunch and/or mid-way between lunch and dinner (on an empty stomach). 

The following link will explain how when we are overly acidic (which most of us especially are when we first  begin treatment.  The kidneys are responsible for excreting most of the acids/toxins from our body AFTER these have been neutralized.  Sometimes our body does not have enough minerals to neutralize the acidic waste, and this can cause urinary problems. 

I just did a search and found this link that seems to be pretty straight-forward. 

http://www.marysherbs.com/heal/heal-aciP.htm

It's a shame you don't tolerate lemon, because even though we think of it as acidic, it becomes alkaline when we consume it in water and other liquid, and it helps neutalize acids.  Also, not eating beef and pork for a while (if you are overly acidic) will help lower the acidity.  If you do test with a very acidic pH, you may want to try stirring 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda into 4 ounces of water (stir and dissolve it completely first) and drink it between meals and at bedtime (on an empty stomach) for a couple of days as a trial.  When we are on AP, sometimes it's hard to find an “empty stomach.”  If this is going to help you (if you are acidic and this reduces the acidity), you should know by the end of the 2nd day. 

Best of luck to you in finding the answer to the problem. 

AF

kat
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Annie. 🙂

Ok, I now get that some people are allergic or sensitive to them, just like aspirin. I still don't think I understand how it connects with taking antibiotics. OR, is that only if a person is sensitive to them OR is it for anyone on AP?

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Kat, when I went to the natropath, she told me to stay away from foods with salicylates because of my RA, but its hard enough going gluten, dairy, sugar free without cutting fruit out as well, I haven't got that far yet and haven't been tested for sensitivities yet so will keep on doing what I am doing.  I think everyone with A1 desieses has some sort leaky gut syndrome and it all goes hand in hand with each other.

I know Lynnie knows quite a bit about all this mybe she will chime in and help.

………………..Annie

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

It's a shame you don't tolerate lemon, because even though we think of it as acidic, it becomes alkaline when we consume it in water and other liquid, and it helps neutalize acids.  ……….. If you do test with a very acidic pH, you may want to try stirring 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda into 4 ounces of water (stir and dissolve it completely first) and drink it between meals and at bedtime (on an empty stomach) for a couple of days as a trial. 

AF, this is a great suggestion! Long ago, when my parents lived in Pakistan and I was a teen visiting them from boarding school in England, I developed a really bad, burning, painful UTI. Infections of all kinds aren't uncommon out in these way out places.

The village doc – maybe a witch-doc? – couldn't speak English and was afraid to look at me (a female), but prescribed abx (with my Dad hovering in the background and pointing to his groin and mimicking pain), but also what he called an “alka-citrate” solution to drink. It wasn't all that pleasant, but it really helped to reduce the acidity in the urinary tract until the medication kicked in. Essentially the alka-citrate solution was what you're describing….citrate (lemon) mixed with an alkaline substance (baking soda). It absolutely worked and the burning pain was greatly relieved.

If it's a candida infection, should work just as well, as candida thrives in an acid environment, too. A handy trick to reduce the burning of acid urine for anyone with a UTI, unless sensitive to citrus fruits, of course. 😉

Peace, Maz

Peace, Maz

kat
    Participant

Thank you Annie, I think I'm understanding this a bit better now. I think I must be a bit thick headed at times. 🙂

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=420]kat[/user] wrote:

Thank you Annie, I think I'm understanding this a bit better now. I think I must be a bit thick headed at times. 🙂

We are all thickheaded at times, that is why we all work together sp well, when I read some of the posts I can't understand them, but the more I am on here the more I understand, I guess that is like everything, like being at a new job :blush:. .

…………Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kat/Annie. There is no test for salicylate sensitivity unfortunately. You have to find out through lowering/elimination then challenge.

I was told to avoid, then stick to a low salicylate diet (amongst other things) because my AP doc says that all people with rheumatoid disease have Leaky Gut and salicylates are part of the problem. She says that Leaky Gut puts stress on the adrenal glands, which means the body is physiologically in permanent flight or fight mode. One of the major effects of stressed adrenals is anxiety and poor sleep (I know that's a familiar thing to many people on this Board). Kat – there is alot of good info in the link that Annie sent you.

BTW, it is not just aspirin, but ibuprofen and almost all NSAIDS that are salicylate based. It is those drugs which are often the primary culprits in the formation of ulcers and/or hypersensitivity in people with long-standing rheumatoid disease. You will notice on the packet of these medications that they warn people to avoid taking them with other salicylate-based medications.

Cranberry Juice per se is not a problem to take with AP – unless you are addressing Gut issues. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, I knew you would come to our rescue……………..Annie

kat
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie! Very helpful and informative!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ UTI Sign of herxing??’ is closed to new replies.