Home Forums General Discussion The Safety Gap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant
    Tiff
    Participant

Yeah, the luxury of assuming things are safe is at an end. 

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Good point —BUT who is to blame for all this outsourcing that occured in the past 8 years
    Richie

Jo
    Participant
    richie
    Participant

Hi
    We are totally in agreement —but who is really price driven –The consumer is price driven because of the availability at lower prices —Its the manufacturer that is price driven —They have an open license to shop the world now due to all this “free enterprise” and more importantly DEREGULATION —- When I had my business –there were stringent import duties on  almost all classification of merchandise being imported from all over the world —I imported rugs from China –had to pay a 45% import duty imposed by this govt. –that kept the prices high and  enabled American and other goods be more than competitive —Now its 5% with wages in China being about 1/20 of  what is is here —-THe result –the textile industry in the US is almost non–existant — THe US govt. was able to control import pricing on all products by the imposition of varying import duty percentages and very often this was changed year to year . —-Everyone should think about this the next time the issue of government control comes up —I am trying to stay non –political but it aint easy ..My opinion is companies arent at fault –neither are consumers —Companies are just operating under existing regs and guidelines !!!Thats the world that has been created here —
    richie

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Just the other day, I turned over some kitchen candles that I had purchased at Walmart, I hadn't looked before I bought them and am trying to be more cautious about products from China due to the potential of hazardous ingredients and lack of regulation.  Well, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that these candles were made in Ohio.  They were extremely inexpensive, so some companies are still finding a way to do business in the US, although I cannot imagine how, having to compete with the low wages, benefits, workcomp premiums etc in China.

Sierra
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi
    Good point —BUT who is to blame for all this outsourcing that occured in the past 8 years
    Richie

The Bush administration. There, I said it.

Vote on Tuesday–for change.

S.

davew
    Participant

Geez, I thought I had found a forum without politics… 😕    Now do we provide equal time for those who disagree with your opinion? I could see this degenrerating into another of many thousands of media sources contaminated by political opinions. Especially in this highly charged Presidential race that is in progress as we speak (type)….

I, for one, would sure like to see that not happen.

Dave

froggy
    Participant

Two thoughts:  socialized health care.  not for me thanks!  sharing the wealth.  I work very hard for what I have.  My sister sits at home and collects welfare in her hud home.  Her kids are going to college for free and failing.  mine are getting straight A's and might have to drop out because we can't afford it.  Just a thought!

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Suggestion –lets cut your sister off welfare–kick her right off the rolls —cut off  off HUD subsidies –through her out into the street and lastly if the kids are failing -expel them– make them join the military –While a member of your family enjoyed this free ride –the administration was _______________   pick one– Republican or Democrat
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Straight A's will get you an academic scholarship-Since one member of your family knows how to play the system so well –she can help[ you get a scholarship for your straight A children
    Richie

Sierra
    Participant

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the positive changes you'll see after Tuesday's election. No need to worry about extremism.

S.

Sierra
    Participant

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

Geez, I thought I had found a forum without politics… 😕    Now do we provide equal time for those who disagree with your opinion? I could see this degenrerating into another of many thousands of media sources contaminated by political opinions. Especially in this highly charged Presidential race that is in progress as we speak (type)….

I, for one, would sure like to see that not happen.

Dave

Indulge me a little bit, before the election. After tomorrow we can go back to achy joints, etc. full time. 🙂

S.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Politics is good for Raynauds –gets the blood boiling and flowing !!!!!!
    Richie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Richie;
         That is a really good one.  hehehe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ The Safety Gap’ is closed to new replies.