Home Forums General Discussion The Safety Gap

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Just to set the record straight, NAFTA was initiated during the Clinton administration.  That is also when the SEC staff was reduced to a skeleton crew that couldn't possibly oversee the stock market and therefore junk bonds arose.  I can tell you exactly when the stock market began to careen like a roller coaster.  March, 2000.  Yep, before the elections in November of that year.

Not to say republicans are angels.  As far as I am concerned, both parties get to D.C. and turn into the same beast.  We are the slaves of this beast.  Don't think so?  Just look at how both candidates voted for the bailout.  Great going guys!  We are in a recession and we are going to take on more debt?  Lovely!  Is that your game plan when you lose your job?  Do you go take out a gigantic loan?  If so, who is the bank making that loan?  Oh yeah.  The same bank that will simply turn to the U.S. government for a bailout when you predictably default on that loan.

Give me a break guys.   

richie
    Participant

Hi
    When did NAFTA include China and outsourcing to India –NAFTA stands for North American Free Trade Act –which mainly concerned goods flowing back and forth between the US and Canada and Mexico –As to the 2000 bust in the market –that was after an absolutely incredible run up in dot com stocks —During Clintons administration– the market was nothing short of sensational –hope you were able to participate –Basically I agree politicians are just that —

Richie

richie
    Participant

Hi
    You really distorted the record –Junk bonds came around during Reagans administration and busted during George Bush SRs. time –in fact it was Clintons administration who prosecuted Michael Millkin –the junk bond king —
    Just a quick accurate history refresher
    richie

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I did live through it and I did benefit from the fat years.  I also pulled out quickly and only got burned a little.  We are in for one heck of a rough ride now though.  No good place to put your dollars and the gov is going to take what little we have left.  Univ. Healthcare?  With what?  Our looks?  

Oh well, never bring up politics or religion.   

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Richie,

I found this

In three separate ceremonies in the three capitals on Dec. 17, 1992, President Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Mulroney signed the historic North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The framework agreement proposed to eliminate restrictions on the flow of goods, services, and investment in North America. The House of Representatives approved NAFTA, by a vote of 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993, and the Senate voted 60 to 38 for approval on November 20. It was signed into law by President Clinton on December 8, 1993, and took effect on January 1, 1994.

Can't blame Reagan, but otherwise we are both right and donkeys and elephants look amazingly the same once they hit D.C.

richie
    Participant

Hi
    You are are so right –We are missing statesmen–we have plenty of politicians though —
    richie

Sierra
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi
    You are are so right –We are missing statesmen–we have plenty of politicians though —
    richie

We got ourselves an awesome statesman yesterday. There's a a fresh breeze of optimism blowing in this country. Let's dare to hope for great things.

S.

A Friend
    Participant

Jo & Everyone,

As consumers, sometimes if we take the time to tell management that we will not buy certain products from China, it really can “sometimes” have an impact — but probably not often enough. 

Forgive the length of the following, but it is a saga about how my favorite local grocery changed, and began selling frozen vegetables marked “Origin:  China” — and how now they don't have these any more!!! 

I do most of my grocery shopping in a grocery that has the best reputation for quality products and service in our little city.  Also in the recent past, the store building was upgraded to include more new marketing space and features.  I immediately noticed that products had changed, and some favorites were discontinued.  I didn't like it, but  just thought that they call this progress.  Then one day I picked up a package of frozen vegetables that they've recently started marketing under a store label of “Food Club” (the Bird's Eye brand I'd used had vanished, except for packages made to be microwaved in their packaging — a no-no for me; once I had to get one and cooked them in a steamer basket, but found these not as tasty as what I'd previously been able to purchase).  I also began seeing a good bit of imported foods in the fruits/vegetable area from places I didn't feel good about.  I was disgusted at what was happening to my favorite grocery — and already knew the others locally had not usually been as good as this one. 

Soon after this, I was in the checkout line and was asked, with an asst mgr standing at the end of the checkout, if I'd found everything I wanted.  I told them no, I hadn't, and also reported about my dissatisfaction with their frozen vegetable line and also about those from China.  Surprisingly, he said his mom and dad felt the same way.  I told him I hoped he'd tell management that I would not buy anything made in China.  (This is not because of any discrimination except that I've seen that their products can be and have been harmful.) 

Fast forward to the last couple of weeks.  I noticed as I continued to shop there that there were many more individual little signs telling where grown or packaged …. and all of them were either from the USA or Canada or New Zealand.  I had mentioned this to my spouse.  In the newspaper ad this past week, I also noticed that each item in the food ad supplement from there had the origin of each advertised produce — and they were all from the safe  places I mentioned above. 

So, while I don't believe my complaint caused this turnaround, I do believe a lot of other people along with myself made it perfectly clear that if they wanted to sell to us, they needed to give us products that we believe are safe…. and good.  This may work for all of you if you are having this problem. 

AF

davew
    Participant

Thanks for your post AF. A very positive way to affect change albeit not always 100% successful as you noted.

I love the summer here in Michigan when I can get fruits and veggies from the local farmers markets.

Fish is another commodity that has to be watched both for safety and taste. It's difficult for me to find anything but farm raised salmon or even Talapia which are both farmed in some rather exotic locales.

But back to the point, being a proactive consumer can and does affect change.

Thanks,

Dave

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

… Talapia which are both farmed in some rather exotic locales.

Hi Dave,

Just read your post on the fish you buy…I love salmon, too. 😀 

I was shocked, however, to read a news article recently that tilapia, which I'd also started to eat last summer was full of cholesterol and bad fats. :sick: Apparently, it's actually worse than a full fry-up breakfast or a big juicy burger. I was really disappointed to hear that and so was my husband, as we've both been trying to find a fish we both enjoy…he doesn't like salmon much.

Anyway…just thought to mention that about the tilapia in case you're watching your bad fat intake. Sorry if this spoiled all your good intentions with your diet like it did for me, though. :crying: 

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Here is a Science Daily article on tilapia:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm

“ScienceDaily (July 10, 2008) ? Farm-raised tilapia, one of the most highly consumed fish in America, has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, according to new research from Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

The researchers say the combination could be a potentially dangerous food source for some patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other allergic and auto-immune diseases that are particularly vulnerable to an “exaggerated inflammatory response.” Inflammation is known to cause damage to blood vessels, the heart, lung and joint tissues, skin, and the digestive tract.”

Sorry for the bad news. :doh:

Peace, Maz

davew
    Participant

Thanks for the info Maz! I hadn't realized that about Tilapia. I am not so much adjusting my diet, I have always eaten a lot of fish.

I love Salmon and Whitefish and of the Talapia has grown in popularity and was quite readily available. I can get fresh Salmon from one of my employees who catches far more than he and his family can eat and Whitefish is available fresh as well. Good stuff…:)

Thanks again for taking the time to post that valuable data!

Dave

A Friend
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi
    Good point —BUT who is to blame for all this outsourcing that occured in the past 8 years
    Richie

Ritchie,

I just discovered all this political posting since posting earlier about the Chinese aspirin.  Was curious to see which post may have triggered it.  If the sequence of posts can be trusted, it looks like you did.  Shame on you, you know better.  Many of us here may share a passionate opposite view, and so no one can win here.  I hate to see politics spoil the closeness we have. 

Your old sparring buddy,

AF

richie
    Participant

Hi
    No one ever wins these –that I agree with —so pardon this pre-election stirring the so-called pot —Its over now !!!!
    Richie

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ The Safety Gap’ is closed to new replies.