Home Forums General Discussion Stomach cramps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ideamktg
    Keymaster

Hey everybody, I hate to bring this up.  I have been doing great since getting on ap in Oct. and going G-free prior to that. However, about 5 days ago I started having really loose stools, and lower stomach cramps. I will go 3-5 times a day, usually after I eat. Before getting off glutten, I did this most of my adult life-minus the cramps. It never really bothered me. But this time I'm concerned that  my mino could be causing it. I've been very good about taking my probiotics.  I'm scared if I talk to my Dr.s they will want me to quit my ap. since they are only doing it on a trial but now have admitted it has helped me. They were concerned about this all along. I've heard of people ending up in the hospital from intestinal issues from antibiotics.  However this could be that some glutten sneeked in somewhere or my dairy intake which I haven't been careful about. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated   Lynn PS other that that I feel fine.

mschmidt
    Participant

Lynn,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.  What disease do you have?  It certainly could be hidden gluten, especially if you're really sensitive to it, or dairy.  I know there's a stomach bug going around–is there any chance you may have been around someone that's sick?  Have you added anything new to your protocol? (ie. supplements)  Have you been tested for Celiac?  Malabsorption and weightloss can be symptoms of Celiac, as well as SD. (I have SD, and I lost 25 lbs within the first 8 months after being diagnosed–no matter what I ate, I kept losing weight)

One last question…what probiotics are you taking? 

Maria

ideamktg
    Keymaster

One more thing. I never have dairy or calciun 2 hrs. before or after my minocycline.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lynn, it could be that you have other food sensitivities/intolerances apart from gluten. Leaky Gut is something that so many of us with chronic illness suffer from (often mistakenly diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Abdominal pain is listed as one of the symptoms. If loose stools has been a longterm problem for you, then I'd be doing some more investigation on food sensitivities and possibly h.pylori. If you are taking a good probiotic, then candida from antibiotic use is less likely to be a problem – more especially if you are pulse dosing. Long-term use of NSAIDS is often much more likely to cause gastro-intestinal problems. I am attaching a very good article on Leaky Gut by Leo Galland, M.D. on Leaky Gut syndrome. It is very comprehensive. Am also posting a link to a shorter overview. Lynnie

http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/environmental-illnesses/leaky-gut-syndrome-(lgs)/     

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

ideamktg
    Keymaster

I've had SD for about 25 years. Sjogrens, asthma, osteo, no thyroid. I never got tested for celiac, because I read ther were so many false positives and false negatives. And I don't want to go back to eating glutten for 2 weeks so that I can take the test.  Since going glutten free and ap I have seen dramatic improvements in stamina, light headedness, reflux, etc;  I'm positive I have celiac without taking the test. Also there is a higher incidence with sjogrens.  I have noticed that sometimes foods will say glutten free but the list of ingredients will have vague terms like modified food starch, so I'm not sure I should trust that. Also when eating out I'm not sure if I trust there glutten free claims- you know, cross contamination.  I'm more concerned it's the ap. because that's not so easy to fix.  And I'm not sure how long I should live with it before telling my Dr.  Hopefully it's a bug or mild food poisoning. I haven't made any med changes or anything else I can think of.  I take my probiotics 3-4 times a day,  on occasion 1-2 but that's rare.  Thanks

ideamktg
    Keymaster

The probiotics brand I take is Jarrow-dopholis plus FOS.  I quit taking nsaids years ago.  I NEVER touch them.  I've often though I had leakey gut. But all those years of loose and frequent stools cleared up soon after going G-free. This has come on sudden and slightly progressive.  After I go to the bathrm. I'm fine.  Thanks for the article.

ideamktg
    Keymaster

I did pulse dosing the first few weeks but soon went to 2X a day 7 days a week with no problems at all except a little itching.  It's been 3 steps forward and 1 or 2 back but mostly feeling better that I have for years.  That's why I don't want to have to stop the ap.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=2084]LynnL[/user] wrote:

However this could be that some glutten sneeked in somewhere or my dairy intake which I haven't been careful about.

Hi Lynn,

Then why don't you try not eating any dairy products? Have you been drinking milk?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi Lynn, I just switched to Jarrow-dophilus too as I had been having stomach cramps low down. It's terrific stuff and seems to suit me much better than the PB8 I was taking before.

I think in my case it probably was yeast overgrowth and taking several diflucan spaced over about 3 weeks, as well as switching to Jarrow, has really helped.

On the other hand, like you, I'm unsure whether it's just a bad stomach bug I picked up and have finally shaken off. My two young sons have recently had flu (with stomach pains), the norovirus (vomiting bug) and just this week ANOTHER vomiting bug. So, who knows what caused the intestinal upset? Thankfully, it is gone now though.

Either taking some diflucan (fluconazole) to see if it helps, or just waiting a few more days to see if it passes might a be reasonable course of action, given the amount of viruses still hanging around – that's what worked for me anyway.

ideamktg
    Keymaster

No it's not gone, but it's not completely intolerable either. I'm going to take everyone's  advice, get off dairy, sugar- go ahead and treat it like a bug and hope it goes away. I don't have temp. so that's good. Where do you get the difacan(sp.?) How long do you guys think I should give it before seeing a Dr.- seeing it doesn't get worse.  I hate to go to the Dr. it always seems like such a waste of time and money. I've had it about 5 days but it was worse yesterday and today.  Thanks for the thoughts.

ideamktg
    Keymaster

Hey Phil- Yes I had been drinking milk and eating eggs.

mschmidt
    Participant

Lynn,

From everything I've read about gluten intolerance, most people also have a reaction to casein, which is the protein in dairy (approximately 80% in cow's milk and cheese).

The best testing for gluten intolerance or celiac isn't a blood test, which oftentimes only tests positive when one has full blown celiac disease, where the damage to the villi in the stomach is so compromised that you need to stay off gluten for life.  The most accurate test is a stool test, and the lab of choice by many for that is Enterolab. (which also has a genetic marker panel for celiac)  If you don't want to spend the money on the test, the easiest thing to do is avoid gluten.  Gluten free products are required to be either produced in a completely gluten free facility, or are required to have listed on the label that it was produced in a facility that also processes wheat, soy, dairy, nuts, etc.  I know it's a pain in the butt to have to read everything but, if you're truely going to be gluten free, it goes with the territory.  I know what you mean about dining out.  I was at a restaurant Friday night that had a completely seperate GF menu, which was quite extensive.  The grilled ceasar salad with shrimp caught my eye but, I had to ask the waitress to ask the chef if he used worchestershire sauce (a staple in caesar salads) in the gluten free version, since there are gluten free sauces out there.  She came back and said that “technically it's not 100% gluten free but, he only uses a dash of worchestershire sauce so it shouldn't be a problem.”  :sick:  Hmmm….a dash of gluten isn't a problem? Are you kidding me?? It would be a HUGE problem to someone with celiac.  I demanded they find a substitute, or take it off the GF menu.  They also fry their french fries in the same oil as they do their gluten laden products.  Again, a “little bit” of gluten isn't acceptable to gluten restrictive people. 

I've been told by every doctor (every good one) that if you have autoimmunity, you have leaky gut.  Since 80% of your immune system is housed in your stomach, it makes perfect sense that it could be the source of the problem.  It's not an easy fix but, it's possible to fix it to the point where you don't react to a lot of food.  I never had problems reacting to foods until I got SD.  Now, I react to just about everything if I eat too much of it.  And, I'm giving myself about 2 years of being gluten free and dairy free to see how much of a difference it makes.  So far, it's been good for me. 

You need a doctor's prescription for Diflucan.  I would give yourself some time before seeing a doctor, unless of course you start running a fever.(this is just my opinion–you should do whatever feels right for you)  It's quite possible all you have is a bug, or maybe you just set yourself over the edge by eating too much dairy.  I can tell instantly if I have something that I react to, and it usually takes me 48-72 hours to feel better.  (but that's my body, and everyone is different)

Please keep us posted on how you're feeling.  Hopefully, it will all be over soon.

Maria

ideamktg
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input. I agree with it all.  I've read that it only takes an eighth of a tsp. of glutten to cause problems.  I'm starting to think alot of restraunts and maybe some glutten free labeled foods aren't taking this serious enough.  It's hidden in so many  fillers. I used to completely avoid dairy for about 15 or so years. But for some reason, I don't know why about a year  ago I decided it was no big whoop, So our whole family has really gotten bad about having milk and cheese. So looks like -party's over.  Time to refocus.  I don't know what I would do without this website. Hopefully it is anything besides the antibiotics.  I'm afraid if my Dr.s think it is from that they won't want me on them anymore- I know it sounds like something minor but in our case the ap can be a manner of survival.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lynn;
                I have been through the same thing as you a couple of times and eventually figured it out.I had had some French Frys and found out that many brands of frozen frys are coated in gluten so that they brown up nicely.Each time I had them it took over a month to recuperate.

ideamktg
    Keymaster

It's just so frustrating and wierd. I had major stomach issues for years.  I've been glutten free for almost a year now with almost no stomach problems and  (sorry to keep bringing it up) but no loose stools.  Now it's that with stomach cramping. Maybe it's just a bug, but as far as the glutten goes I was being so dang careful- or at least I thought.  Thanks again to all of you for listening and chiming in. I'm going to reread labels and see if I come up with anything. Otherwise I'm going to have to go to the Dr. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ Stomach cramps’ is closed to new replies.