Home Forums General Discussion Serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha concentrations are negatively correlated with serum 25(OH)D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    spacehoppa
    Participant

http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/5/1/10

Serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha concentrations are negatively correlated with serum 25(OH)D concentrations in healthy women

Catherine A Peterson* and Mary E Heffernan*

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, 65211, USA

author email corresponding author email* Contributed equally

Journal of Inflammation 2008, 5:10doi:10.1186/1476-9255-5-10

The electronic version of this article is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/5/1/10

Received:
    1 November 2007

Accepted:
    24 July 2008

Published:
    24 July 2008

Noel
    Participant

I was only saying the same the other day, lol.

Nice find spacehopper.

Joe M
    Participant

Wonder what Marshall would say about this?  MPers?

Maz
    Keymaster

Joe, there are endless threads here on Vit D and Marshall's view, as the subject has been covered exhaustively in the past. Here is one example, but the search box will bring up many more:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=41&forum_id=1&highlight=Vit+D

For newcomers, the Marshall Protocol is an entirely different antibiotic protocol from Dr Brown's AP. For more information, you can send a private message to John McDonald or go to the official Marshall Protocol website to learn more:

http://www.MarshallProtocol.com

Peace, Maz

spacehoppa
    Participant

Joe – I'm no expert on the MP and I haven't ever tried it either, but I imagine that they wouldn't necessarily dispute this finding. In fact, it really supports their theory that vitamin D suppresses the immune system, which they think is unhelpful in clearing the bacteria.

I guess it depends on which approach you are taking to fighting the disease. Personally I'd like a bit of both – some immune regulation – but also not crippling my immune system so much that it stops being able to fight infections.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Joe;
        This is what Dr. Marshall has to say about it.I sure don't know which side of the fence  to take,pro or con D

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/view_topic.php?forum_id=27&id=8028

Michele
    Participant

Hi friends,

I've been on the MP for a year now. It is so hard to believe how fast it has gone. Even as an MPer, I certainly still wonder about how “finished” these D theories are as research is ever evolving. I am glad there is a spotlight on D 25, however, it is the ratio of D25 to D1,25 that is more significant. Well, the last time I had time to read the MP study site anyway. 🙂

I am grateful to the MP, though. Most of you in this thread may recall my intense and disabling hypersensitive status on AP alone. Because of Benicar, I've been able to actively work all year long and I'm now taking low doses of two antibiotics. I walk a half hour or so several times a week for gentle exercise. I've travelled long distances by myself and mostly have my life back. However, it isn't a speedy magic bullet either. I have painfree days and days of strong IP (herx). The painfree days are days to celebrate. At least I have them on MP. They are what get me through the days of herx. There are plenty of days with simmering IP and it does get frustrating. Hope springs eternal.

I am performing again. 🙂 As a musician, we call upon experiences to emote through our music making. I have drawn upon the collective experiences of people I have met here at RBF and at MP. The collective wisdom, graciousness, fear, pain, joys, sorrows, triumphs, intellect, humor and love.

I'm sorry I don't visit this site much anymore. Right now I am avoiding solving a software issue at work. But I must get back to it. I saw this thread and thought I'd pop in to say hi to you all. I miss the very special supportive and caring people here.

Take care all you gentle peoples! 🙂
    Michele

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi;
         My sister who has Lupus is on it also as Lupies rarely tolorate the high dosages of antibiotics used for AP.So far she is doing well and her tachicardia  cause by her vagus nerve is not bothering her.She has the best AP/MP doc in Canada who took her off her old BP meds as they were not helping one iota.Benicar seems to do the trick.   Lynne

Joe M
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Joe;
        This is what Dr. Marshall has to say about it.I sure don't know which side of the fence  to take,pro or con D

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/view_topic.php?forum_id=27&id=8028

Thanks for looking that up Lynne, I really appreciate it!

A Friend
    Participant

Ruth,

Have you read any of the Vitamin D findings in the following on-line book?  If not, then I wish I had brought your attention to it while you were expecting.  Dr. Seelig, I understand was one of the foremost researchers in areas of magnesium deficiency and disease, and found and explained much about calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D, etc. and their relationship and balance.  When I first read some of this, I wondered if perhaps this research was what swayed Dr. Marshall to advise patients not to take Vitamin D (actually Hormone D) supplementation  during MP treatment. 

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/chapter14.shtml

Open the above, then to read some profound findings about Vitamin D, go down to paragraphs:
    14.3 and 14.4.

When beginning reading at this point, it is suggested that you click on “Edit” at top of screen, and then click “Find” and type in “Vitamin D”, and then you can read instances of D  and discussions of it.    This is profound information about Vitamin D.  

One excerpt pasted below (but there are many more): 

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/chapter14.shtml  

14.3. Calcemic Therapy for Osteopenias

The use of high-dosage vitamin D or its derivatives in the treatment of refractory osteopenias might similarly result in cardiovascular and renal damage, other soft tissue calcinosis, and osteosclerosis, rather than normal bone, which requires optimal magnesium for normal osteocyte activity and matrix formation. Little has yet been done to correlate the osteopenia or brittle chalky bones produced by either experimental magnesium deficiency or by vitamin D excess, the degree depending on the amount of calcium and phosphate in the diet. As regards the use of high-dosage calcemic agents for postmenopausal osteoporosis, reference should be made to the estrogen/parathyroid/magnesium interrelationships that suggest that magnesium's effect on osteocytes and matrix formation might find applicability in preventing further loss, if not serving to increase formation of organic matrix.

Inadvertent proof was provided that hypervitaminosis D produces metastatic calcification when very high doses of vitamin D were used to treat arthritis, even when the intake of calcium was not high (Danowski et al., 1945; Mulligan, 1947; Frost et al., 1947; Howard and Meyer, 1948; Reed, 1950; Christensen et al., 1951; Verner et al., 1958). In such instances, the calcium, phosphate, and matrix were drawn from the skeleton and deposited in soft tissues. In one of the studies (Frost et al., 1947) magnesium was studied and found to be low during the vitamin-D-toxic period and to rise when the overdosage was stopped. The evidence that some arthritic processes might be consequences of magnesium depletion suggests that seeking and correcting magnesium deficiency might be useful.

It is advisable to explore the magnesium status of patients with osteopenias before loading them with calcemic agents, which might prove useless in some or unduly toxic in others if magnesium deficiency is present. If hypercalcemia has already been induced by high doses of such agents as vitamin D or its congeners or metabolites, or by parenteral loads of calcium, the magnesium serum level and 24- hour urinary output should be determined. A parenteral magnesium load may be inadvisable until the hypercalcemia is corrected, and not by phosphate loading.

[end of excerpt]

Edit:  Having read, and re-read the above excerpt about high Vitamin D, and remembering posts I've read about patients' doctors having prescribed large doses of Vitamin D, I found this concerning that most physicians seem not to be aware of these research findings, which have been around for quite a long time.    

AF

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi AF,

Thanks for the link! Very interesting. Don't worry unduly though, as I've been supplementing with magnesium for a long time now – at least two years. And I take magnesium taurate every day, along with regular use of magnesium oil on painful joints. I doubt very much that I am magnesium deficient anymore, and in fact credit my recent good pregnancy to having improved my magnesium status.

In my first pregnancy I had pre-eclampsia, premature delivery, symphysis pubis dysfunction (awful pelvis pain), high blood pressure and cholestasis of pregnancy (liver problems and haemmorhaging). This time around I had none of these problems!

Michele
    Participant

Lynne,

I'm glad to hear about your sister. Thank you for sharing! Another RBFer active when I was active also had a lot of trouble with higher doses of Mino. She had borderline lupus markers. Though, she had success in IA after an IV treatment in Ida Grove. I still keep in touch with her. She's doing great! I didn't have the lupus markers, but I sure am sensitive to antibiotics. I'm a turtle in MP-land. Another RA-er on MP is also having to go very slowly. So we have turtle races. :roll-laugh: Last one to the finish line wins! (We hope!) I wish we had a way to instantly zap these microbes without zapping out the patient! The slow race takes a lot of patience!

I have found it interesting how Benicar affects people who take it once a day for blood pressure. (MP is a minimum of 3 a day.) Some of my relatives are on it for BP. They will feel joint pain as a “side affect.”

Spacehoppa, Congrats on your baby!!! That is wonderful! 🙂

Michele

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Salut Michou;
         Great to hear you are doing well.I often think of you and a lot of the old gang that rarely post anymore…like my crazy  little Sclerodufous(Elizabethe)You gave me my laugh for the day,now I can get back to work as we have our last orchid show this coming weekend.Man,am I swamped!
        What site is the best for the lates MP info as TM seem to have several now.In a couple of weeks things will be calmer around here and I want to do some catching up.A FRIEND   is advocating  magnesium but if I remember correctly  TM has something to say about that also.I want to get the facts,check them out and then maybe try taking some.10 years on AP has been agodsend but if I skip my mino for a few days I get that stiffish feeling again so I know I am far,far away from permanent remission.  
              XXXXX

Trudi
    Participant

[user=50]Michele[/user] wrote:

I have found it interesting how Benicar affects people who take it once a day for blood pressure. (MP is a minimum of 3 a day.) Some of my relatives are on it for BP. They will feel joint pain as a “side affect.”

Benicar was the trigger that started all of my joint pain.  I was 10 months into taking it when the insert from Walgreens added the warning:  This medication can cause joint pain, swelling and stiffness.  I was so disgusted because by then I was in pretty bad shape.  When I came to this board and mentioned this, John M. explained what Benicar does–sort of made me feel better to know it helps to disable bacteria.  I told my current doctor that maybe I should try it again, but she would have none of it:)!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Michele
    Participant

Hi Trudi!!!!

That is sure interesting about your Benicar experience….but not in a good way. I can't imagine those on Benicar who start up their immune system once for about 8 hours a day and then don't receive the benefit of the palliation from it, too. Well, I can…I watch my father-in-law do it. 🙁

50% of people receive palliation from it, and 50% have their immune system activated further. That's with 40mg 3-4 times per day. You may recall, I needed no further activation!!!!:shock: I was in the lucky 50% and within 3 weeks of Benicar alone 4 times a day started feeling better.

How are you doing? You are on a lyme protocol? Has spring found Holy Hill? 🙂

Michele

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘ Serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha concentrations are negatively correlated with serum 25(OH)D’ is closed to new replies.