Home Forums General Discussion Sebomin or Aknemin?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    hotspur2904
    Participant

I have been taking Aknemin (generic minocycline) for a couple of weeks.  I asked my doctor to prescribe me Minocin MR however this is no longer manufactured.  The pharmacist has offered me Sebomin MR rather than Aknemin as the Sebomin MR is a slow release drug.

Any ideas anyone what would be the best equivalent to Minocin MR?

Thanks

Simon

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Simon – Sebomin MR appears to be a brand of mincocycline usually prescribed for acne (aren't they all?;)). If you only have the choice of the two, I'd probably go for the MR (Modified Release) which is usually thought to be better as it has a more sustained action in the body. I found on the net this NHS alert re Wyeth products that are currently in short supply (Minocin MR is one). See link below. When it becomes available again, that is the one I'd personally go for. Wyeth brand is the original one. Lynnie

http://www.burypct.nhs.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/clinical_governance/MM/Wyeth_shortages_0505.pdf

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

hotspur2904
    Participant

Thanks Lynnie, I just had a very similar conversation with a pharmacist so it's Sebomin MR for me until Wyeth get their act together.

S 🙂

katieb
    Participant

Hi Simon,

It is Sebomin that I have always taken, because it is MR. As you know it has worked well for me, but I always take it 2 hours after lunch on an empty stomach (and no dairy for lunch or in cuppas during the afternoon). Then I wait another hour before usually devouring a very large snack (3 hours is ages for me to go without food !!). I just wanted to give the mino its maximum chance of working. I also never take any iron or calcium (or other such metals) supplements ever for fear of them swiping some of my mino ! :roll-laugh:

Hang in there Simon. Herxing is a good sign. Give it 6 months before you start to doubt it's working. It seems ages when you're going through it, but if/when you get a result it will seem like a short time looking back.

Good luck, Katie 😀

natashaw
    Participant

Hi Katie, i saw a post you had sent a while back on Sebomin…  i'm new and was trying to get Minocin MR but see its not available in the uk – could you give me some indication on how thats working for you or have you changed meds?

warm wishes

natasha

natashaw
    Participant

Hi Simon

i saw a post you had sent a while back on Sebomin in which you thought you would try it…  i'm new and was trying to get Minocin MR but see its not available in the uk – could you give me some indication on how thats working for you or have you changed meds?

warm wishes

natasha

katieb
    Participant

Hi Natasha

Well I have now been on Sebomin for 2 1/2 years, and as you have probably seen from my other posts and history, it worked very well for me in bringing down all my blood tests to within normal range, where they have stayed ever since.

However, in terms of symptoms, I have had some patches where I've had practically no symptoms for several weeks, but the inflammation in my hands and wrists is not completely gone, and flares up a bit from time to time.

I have recently had a positive Band 31 test for Lyme disease, so that would explain why the mino on its own is unlikely to give complete remission. Dr D at Breakspear is now switching me from the mino to a combination of Hydroxychloroquin and Clarithromycin, which I expect to start in the next few weeks.

Absolutely no doubt that the Sebomin MR worked, however, and worked well.

Good luck with your AP. I would love to hear how you get on with it.

Best wishes, Katie 🙂

natashaw
    Participant

hi and many thanks for your kind email.  good luck with the new meds 🙂  I tried to see Dr D but he's retired down south and Newcastle is too far for me with two kids to travel 🙁 

I'm trying hard to get Sebomin but nowhere stocks it and can't get hold of it.  Where do you get yours?  Have you heard of any other minocyclines that work well, that are distributed in the UK? 

thanks in advance

natasha

katieb
    Participant

Hi Natasha,

Well, it's ages since I got my Sebomin supply as my GP wrote a big prescription so it's possible it's no longer available. I got mine from The Co-Op Pharmacy here in Wilmslow. I will check whether it's still available and get back to you.

Katie 🙂

PhilC
    Participant

I don't think one can assume that a modified or sustained-release type of minocycline is the better choice for a person on the AP. If one believes that minocycline is nothing more than an anti-inflammatory when used to treat rheumatic diseases, then the idea makes sense. A modified or sustained-release type of minocycline might also make sense for people who experience severe dizziness or other unpleasant side effects when they are taking the normal, rapid-release type of minocycline. However, with regard to antibacterial potency, a modified or sustained-release type of minocycline could very well be inferior due to a lower peak plasma concentration.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi–You cant be inferring that minocin is less effective than generic minocycline ????–The general medical consensus is that minocin MR is more effective than generic minocycline —
    richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Richie – as you are one of the few longer-term SDers who can access the Forum right now, I wonder if you might have a personal perspective to share with kowens in her Remission? thread. Thanks Lynnie

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=5123&forum_id=1

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi–You cant be inferring that minocin is less effective than generic minocycline ????–The general medical consensus is that minocin MR is more effective than generic minocycline —

Hi Richie,

Can you point me to a credible source for that claim? Although I've seen similar claims made on this forum in the past, I've never read anything like that elsewhere. What I have read is that some doctors believe generic drugs could be inferior to brand-name versions due to issues related to quality control (QC) and/or good manufacturing practices (GMP).

Minocin and Minocin MR are two, distinctly different medications. Also, based on the research I have done, it appears that Minocin MR is not available in the U.S.

Here's some information for the sake of comparison:

Minocin | Minocin MR

From the info for Minocin MR:

MINOCIN MR Capsules have been formulated as a “double pulse” delivery system in which a portion of the minocycline dose is delivered in the stomach, and a second portion of the dose is available for absorption in the duodenum and upper GI tract.

The information for Triax Minocin does not mention anything like that. It also does not mention the words “modified release” or “sustained release” (or similar) anywhere.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi–sure –just call the Harvard doctor –or Dr F in Ca. or many other doctors –these are doctors that treat patients – and leaders in the use of antibiotic -the overwhelming preference is for the pelleted product {brand} –doctors will prescribe generic due to the brand being cost prohibitive

as to the MR issue –Triax markets the Wyeth product in the US –this is MR –whether its branded or not –suggest you refer to the FDA listing —
    richie

katieb
    Participant

Thank you Richie for supplying that information. it would have taken me a while to find that out otherwise ! What Phil says does sound plausible, but I thought there was a good reason why I went for the MR generic !

Katie 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ Sebomin or Aknemin?’ is closed to new replies.