Home Forums General Discussion Remission!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    kimberly_studio
    Participant

Are there alot of you in Remission? or almost in Remission?

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I'm one.  My bloodwork still says weak positive for RA and my doctor has never declared me in remission, but I am 100% most days and almost never awaken with any pain or stiffness, so I think that can be called remission. 

Fran
    Participant

Kimberly-  I'm in remission.  I started antibiotic therapy 3 months after my first symptoms.  I used minocycline and IV clindy.  When I was no longer able to tolerate the mino, I used zithromax.  When my liver enzymes skyrocketed cuz of the zithro, I went off everything.  This was last April.  I am still in remission and all my blood levels have returned to normal.  Fran

bonnielou
    Keymaster

I am in clinical remission Kimberly. On examination my doc finds no clinical signs of RA. I almost feel guilty that it is working so well for me. It's almost exactly one year since I started AP.  A year ago it was hard to turn over in bed. Now I (almost) live life like I don't have RA. I am lucky. I was diagnosed quickly (in about 8 months) and started the minocycline immediately.

I take my medications (and I am still weaning off of plaquenil), and I eat very well, and I exercise, and I take nothing for granted. Each good day is a gift. I still have some residual weakness/problem in my right hand …and some fatigue — I tire more easily than I used to —  but it doesn't slow me down much.

Hope you get to join this 'club' ….

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Sierra
    Participant

I asked my doctor if she'd use that word and she said yes, but I consider myself more in “good control” because I still have minor flareups. I've been on AP for 2 years. It has worked beautifully for me.

Sierra

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Kimberly;
             I am in total remission after being told that I would not make it to the end of the year.It took quite a time but here I am and you would never know I have SD.  Lynne

SilviaM
    Participant

I notice that most of the people who reported that they're in remission started on AP early in their disease process.  Are there any (like me) who've just started AP a few months ago after 7-8 years navigating the scary world of biologics and other nasty drugs?

marg
    Participant

My daughter, who had sudden and severe onset of RA, was fortunate enough to start AP three months in. She is in remission, only having symptoms if she is overtired or really stressed – even then not like the beginning.

She lives in Toronto. Greetings to you in Richcmond Hill and all the best of luck!

m.
    Participant

[user=769]SilviaM[/user] wrote:

I notice that most of the people who reported that they're in remission started on AP early in their disease process.

SilviaM
    Participant

biologics are things like Enbrel and Humira, which suppress the inflammatory process at a molecular level.  They are immunosuppressive, which makes you more susceptible to infections.  They are also extremely expensive (Enbrel was $1600/month) in comparison to the low cost of antibiotics.

lauram
    Participant

Silvia,

I am not in remission; but I am so much better. I'll be on abx 2 years Dec 17.

Everyone is different with different issues to work through,re:the list of what to do if one is not responding.

I've had Ra since 2001 and have not used biologics or immune-supressing drugs.

Good luck!!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=74]lauram[/user] wrote:

Everyone is different with different issues to work through,re:the list of what to do if one is not responding.

Hi Laura,

Your post was a great reminder that there is a link at the main website under Education/Brochure Sheets, called:

Things to Check if You are not Seeing Improvement on Antibiotic Therapy

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/89.html

Just thought it might be helpful to anyone who may be questioning this right now.

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kimberly, Sylvia – whilst I am not technically in remission, I am pretty symptom-free most of the time. And I started`AP about 15 years after first symptoms appeared. Whilst I dont have classic RA, I have PRA. My RF went down from 692 to mid 300's in just 5 months and my inflammatory markers all test in normal range. I am working (as many people on this Board know) to get that RF number down even further and to try and prevent a blow out of symptoms further down the track. But, I never have excruciating PRA attacks any more (you want to just have someone shoot you with those) and I live my life pretty fully and without pain most of the time. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lara_melbourne
    Participant

Hello all!  I'm new to this board, and I consider myself to be in remission.  I started on the antibiotic protocol back in 2000, after being diagnosed with RA in 1997 and being on methotrexate and salazopyrine.  With the combination of a change in diet (naturopathically directed) and the antibiotic protocol, I've been in remission for almost six years now.  In fact, I'm not taking any medication at all now, and haven't been taking any since 2003.  As long as I stay strict with my diet, I am incredibly well and pain-free, without any joint damage.

I now have two young children – something that wouldn't have been possible without the antibiotic protocol and getting off methotrexate.  I have much to be thankful for.  Good luck!:)

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Lara,

Welcome, and thank you for joining us. It is so helpful when an experienced APer visits the RBF Bboard to share their experiences.
    Also, will you please consider writing a testimonial that can be placed on our main website? The testimonials are read by most people who pass by RBF on the web, and I know they really have an impact in helping people know that AP is real and effective.

If you are willing, please submit your testimonial to testimonial@roadback.org.

Thanks!

Cheryl Ferguson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ Remission!’ is closed to new replies.