Home Forums General Discussion RA and Herpes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    jaydee
    Participant

I am intrigued, David Gregg, Ph.D, claims that he feels there is a connection between RA and herpes, and since L-lysine seems to have a beneficial effect against herpes, he has suggested it to some patients who have in turn alleviated their RA symptoms.

I put forth this same connection a couple of years ago, and was wondering (again) that if there are any RA patients out there with herpes, who have taken the prescribed antivirals for herpes may in fact be getting some relief from the RA symptoms?

I welcome your comments, and do search on google for “david gregg rheumatoid” so read about it.

thank you

linda
    Participant

When I was 5 y/o,  me and 2 friends who lived on my street all got chicken pox, one right after the other. We all developed arthritis in our 20's, they got RA, I got PsA. One of them died from complications from arthritis 2 yrs ago after spending the last 8 yrs of her life legally blind and in a wheelchair. I have often wondered about the viral connection. I've never taken the anti-virals, but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the information.

linda

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Jaydee:

One Rheumy that we saw has the following on his website regarding Herpes, you can find the full ink at http://www.fmtlc.com/treatment.html

“a.) Viral Infections: Human Herpes Virus 6 & 7 (HHV 6, HHV 7). Herpes virus infections are common (chicken pox, Ebstein-Barr Virus, Cytomegaly virus) and once infected, humans carry these viruses in a dormant form for the rest of their lives. Most people are infected with HHV 6 and HHV 7 as children and it is one of the many flu-like illnesses that children endure. When these infections come out of dormancy in an adult it can cause chronic fatigue, flu-like symptoms and fever.”

I think that there is most definitly a connection to be considered.

Cheryl

Todd WI
    Participant

Hmm, very interesting, especially when you consider Shingles:

<<some of the virus particles leave the skin blisters and move into the nervous system.  When the varicella-zoster virus reactivates, the virus moves back down the long nerve fibers that extend from the sensory cell bodies to the skin.  The viruses multiply, the tell-tale rash erupts, and the person now has shingles…>>>

source: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shingles/shingles.htm

While the chicken pox have been gone for many many years (>35 years for me), the body was never completely successful at erradicating the virus.  The virus “hides out” in the nervous system.

Todd

jaydee
    Participant

I wonder if someone on this board may have tried l-lysine as described by David Gregg  at any point– it would certainly be worth to learn if there is any benefit. Clearly L-lysine is inexpensive, readily available, and seems pretty much free of any side effects.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

My new AP doc is very strong on childhood illnesses – such as chickenpox – being a factor in rheumatoid diseases. I will try to find out more of her perspective on this next time I speak to or see her. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

MaryP
    Participant

I take lysine every few days, as it keeps my mouth more healthy…I've gotten canker like mouth sores.  Lysine keeps them away.  I also crave arginine rich foods, so I tried to limit those, as they seem to feed or bring on the sores.

Interestingly, I've had shingles twice, once at 28 and again at 40.  Both times were after quite stressful situations.  I was told it was, of course, the dormant chicken pox virus becoming not dormant.  Docs were most surprised to see a “young” person with shingles.

I've read that lysine can be a collagen builder, so I take it sparingly.

linda
    Participant

My son, Jared, had shingles when he was 9 y/o. I was completely floored, I thought he had impetigo or some other wierd rash. We were told that because he had it as a child, he is more likely to get it as an adult. There is a vaccine out now, but I've heard that you have to be over 60 y/o to get it, I'm hoping that's not true since I would like for Jared to get it. My father is currently recovering from shingles, he had the sores aroung the forehead and left ear. It's been weeks and he still gets tired very easily, and has become very forgetful. Does anyone know if this is something caused by shingles, or should we be worried about something like Alzeimers. He is 70 y/o.

linda

Todd WI
    Participant

Oh crap, you can get shingles more than once.  For some reason I was thinking they were a “once and done”affair, not sure where I got that idea from.  I'm certainly not looking forward to those little suckers returning.

I guess I need to do some more research on L-lysine.

Todd

jaydee
    Participant

The areas of interest that I have been pondering involve learing if people with herpes who take valtrex or similar antivirals and/or lysine have any lesseing of their rheumatoid symptoms.

This is a micro-survey, but please post any info regarding the above.

I seem to read here and there some strong connections, but the threads usually fade and nothing much is discussed or studied. I strongly believe there is much more of a connection here than meets the eye. I wish I had the wherewithal to study this in greater depth. I would hate to learn a few years from now that there is a definite connection and cure or aleviation of symptons using those antivirals.

Jo
    Participant

I don't know if a complete negative would be of assistance to you.

My husband has never had Chicken Pox, Shingles or Herpes and tests negative for all viral antibiodies.

In fact the only thing he tests positive for is Macroplasma Pneumonia bacteria.

And in fact he did have Pneumonia when he was a young man in the army, just over 30 years ago.

He has had RA for almost 20 years.

Blessings

Jo

Joe M
    Participant

I also did a mini-poll a few years ago regarding herpes and RA, because my wife gets cold sores (a type of herpes virus) and did before she got RA.  I think there might be something to it.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jaydee,

What I found interesting about Dr Brown's description of mycoplasma was that he said it couldn't accurately be described as either bacteria or virus, yet seemed to have characteristics of both. I've heard some on other AP boards discussing the use of natural anti-virals, so perhaps there is something in this? I'd be interested to hear if you learn anything more to share with us. Thanks!

Peace, Maz

Missyb
    Participant

WOW I'm so glad to see this! I posted the same thought my first day here!
    Thanks for the link Cheryl
    Missy

Maz
    Keymaster

Just found this study on PubMed drawing connections to herpes and “autoimmunity,” particularly in SLE, RA and MS, published May 2008, and the potential benefit of anti-viral therapy.

Herpesviruses and autoimmunity.
    Posnett DN.
    Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology, 1300 York Avwnue, New York, NY 10021, USA. dposnett@med.cornell.edu

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18465661?ordinalpos=13&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Peace, Maz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ RA and Herpes’ is closed to new replies.