Home Forums General Discussion Psoriatic Arthritis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    psaoff
    Participant

Sorry by the way im in Sydney Australia so any local support would be greatly appreciated.

Dear All,

Im 27 years of age. I was diagnosed with PSA in Sep 09 with all of the pain, swelling inflammation located in my toes. I have been on Salazopyrin (6 per day) and Naprosyn 750mg for since Jan 10 with my inflamation score initially at 18 then back to 5.1 and now it has shot up to 10 again with a further toe being involved.

The activity comes and goes but there is joint damage in my toes. When the inflammation has subsided i can walk with relatively low level of pain. However when it flares it becomes very difficult to walk.

I did have some strange feeling in my hands for a while which was essentially enlarged tendons as per ultrasound which has now gone away but left a strange crackling sound when i close my hands (no pain though).

I have some peeling skin on my feet and hands which comes and goes but it doesnt really look like normal psorasis. Im going to a dermy this week to confirm. There is no psoriasis in other parts of my body.

I believe the PSA may have started from an infection. I was sick in July 2009 with the side of my face swollen which then subsided. I visited Thailand in Aug 09 and 3 weeks after returning home I was running on the treadmill and both my feet went becoming swollen and about 7 toes being affected since this intial swelling and inflammation. I dont know whether the sickness or the thaliland trip triggered this. I dont have a HLA marker and im negative for Chlomidia.

Im also taking Vitamin D, Zinc, Lugols Iodine, Fish Oil, Vitamin D and B12 perscribed by a natropath.

My feet clearly are not getting better and my doctor prescribed me MTX 10mg to take along side the Salazo and Naprosyn and get some cortisone shots as well as the natro drugs.

Ive read a bit around this website which seems positive and ordered the book.

Could a volunteer send me the doctor list for AP

Could anyone who has PSA similiar to mine drop me an email and give me some insights. Im very interested in getting tested for all different types of infections perhaps you know where to go (a second natropath has suggested a gastrointestinal profile).

Could anyone with PSA who has had real results and tried MTX first or after give me some insights as to whether MTX worked or AP worked better? Has anyone with PSA gone into remission from either of these treatments?

Does anyone know what the qualifying factors are for getting biological drugs like Enebrel (I read the Phil Mick story).

Anything else you may find useful?

Best Regards,

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

welcome to the Forum psaoff. I will be happy to email you the list of Australian AP doctors. Please send me a PM (private message) with your email address. Just click on no new messages above right then send the message to my Forum name lynnie_sydney.

By the way, so that it comes up in future posts, you can add your location to your profile. And you can also add your diagnosis and current treatment to your signature line in that profile. Just click on 'my account' above, then profile (the middle tab that will come up to the left). You can then add your city and country to this plus some diagnosis and treatment details in the signature box at the bottom. These can be updated at any time by going through this process and saving the changes. It will save you repeating information each time you post. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2674]psaoff[/user] wrote:

I have some peeling skin on my feet and hands which comes and goes but it doesnt really look like normal psorasis. Im going to a dermy this week to confirm. There is no psoriasis in other parts of my body.

I believe the PSA may have started from an infection. I was sick in July 2009 with the side of my face swollen which then subsided. I visited Thailand in Aug 09 and 3 weeks after returning home I was running on the treadmill and both my feet went becoming swollen and about 7 toes being affected since this intial swelling and inflammation. I dont know whether the sickness or the thaliland trip triggered this. I dont have a HLA marker and im negative for Chlomidia.

Could anyone with PSA who has had real results and tried MTX first or after give me some insights as to whether MTX worked or AP worked better? Has anyone with PSA gone into remission from either of these treatments?

Does anyone know what the qualifying factors are for getting biological drugs like Enebrel (I read the Phil Mick story).

Hi Psaoff,

Welcome to the RBF discussion forum. 🙂

Before considering a biologic drug, such as Enbrel, you may want to ensure whether or not your palmar and plantar psoriasiform-like eruptions rashes are Keratoderma blenorrhagicum. This type of rash is a result of chlamydia trachomatis (infection that causes reactive arthritis), which your dermatologist may be able to diagnose for you with a skin biopsy.

http://ard.bmj.com/content/67/8/1181.abstract

Another type of rash that can occur on palms and soles due to infection (borreliosis) is ACA (acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans). If you scroll down this link a ways, you will see pics of this pustular, psoriasis-like rash. Lyme may also caused a condition, called Bell's Palsy, which usually affects one side of the face – was your facial swelling ever diagnosed?: 

http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/lyme_detail.php?sid=8

Here is a study showing the effects of anti-TNF meds (like Enbrel) and its affects on Lyme-infected mice (in effect, reactivating the infection after IV antibiotics have been given):

http://www.columbia-lyme.org/research/keyarticles.html

And a case report of a different class of biologic (Remicade) reactivating Lyme and mimicking Lupus:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184613

Immune-suppression in either of these cases is generally strongly contraindicated, as this just leaves underlying chronic infections free reign to do their dirty work. You mentioned testing negative for chlamydia, but there are different types of chlamydia and none of these tests are 100% accurate, because of their various pleomorphic forms, so the infections may wax and wane (as you aptly described, “the activity comes and goes”). You may do better with a diagnosis to have the lesions biopsied and have some pathology run on them for these specific infections. Here is a website you may like to research a bit further:

http://www.cpnhelp.org

Unfortunately, the first line of treatment, regardless of diagnosis and without any real infectious work-up, is immune-suppression, which usually leaves patients on the drug train for life. Recent studies out of Florida, however, have demonstrated the efficacy of using longterm combination antibiotics for reactive arthritides, Here is a past discussion thread covering this topic:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3524&forum_id=1&highlight=taylor+florida

Of course, there are other possible infectious offenders that have been tied to reactive arthritides (e.g. klebsiella pneumoniae), but if your dermatologist diagnoses you with Keratoderma blenorrhagicum when you go to see him, then it is only reasonable to suspect chlamydia trachomatis as an infectious suspect.

In any case, antibiotic therapy has worked well for others with PsA and if you type in “Psoriatic Arthritis” in the search box above, you'll find past discussion threads where others have described their journey back to health.

The upcoming Summer edition of the Road Back eBulletin is also going to be sent to all subscribers soon and includes the uplifting testimonial of “Vinnie” who has successfully recovered from very severe, swift onset PsA with antibiotic therapy. 🙂 To subscribe and receive your free copy of the eBulletin, just go to the home button above and enter your email address in the box provided for this purpose on the main page (right side of page about mid-way down).

I am just a fellow patient, Psaoff, so please only take what resonates here with you in your researches for uncovering the most effective treatment for you. I just noted a few things in your description of symptoms that rang some bells with past research I've done, so just passing this info along to you to research for yourself. Hope something here helps! Lynnie is our wonderful volunteer in Australia and, if you should choose AP (antibiotic protocols as per Dr. Brown), then she is the informed go-to person to help with locating a physician to help in this treatment choice.

Peace, Maz

psaoff
    Participant

I have some peeling skin on my feet and hands which comes and goes but it doesnt really look like normal psorasis. Im going to a dermy this week to confirm.

I believe the PSA may have started from an infection. I was sick in July 2009 with the side of my face swollen which then subsided. I visited Thailand in Aug 09 and 3 weeks after returning home I was running on the treadmill and both my feet went becoming swollen and about 7 toes being affected since this intial swelling and inflammation. I dont know whether the sickness or the thaliland trip triggered this. I dont have a HLA marker and im negative for Chlomidia.

Hi Psaoff,

Welcome to the RBF discussion forum.

Before considering a biologic drug, such as Enbrel, you may want to ensure whether or not your palmar and plantar psoriasiform-like eruptions rashes are Keratoderma blenorrhagicum. This type of rash is a result of chlamydia trachomatis (infection that causes reactive arthritis), which your dermatologist may be able to diagnose for you with a skin biopsy.

http://ard.bmj.com/content/67/8/1181.abstract

Another type of rash that can occur on palms and soles due to infection (borreliosis) is ACA (acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans). If you scroll down this link a ways, you will see pics of this pustular, psoriasis-like rash. Lyme may also caused a condition, called Bell's Palsy, which usually affects one side of the face – was your facial swelling ever diagnosed?:

http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/lyme_detail.php?sid=8

Here is a study showing the effects of anti-TNF meds (like Enbrel) and its affects on Lyme-infected mice (in effect, reactivating the infection after IV antibiotics have been given):

http://www.columbia-lyme.org/research/keyarticles.html

And a case report of a different class of biologic (Remicade) reactivating Lyme and mimicking Lupus:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184613

Immune-suppression in either of these cases is generally strongly contraindicated, as this just leaves underlying chronic infections free reign to do their dirty work. You mentioned testing negative for chlamydia, but there are different types of chlamydia and none of these tests are 100% accurate, because of their various pleomorphic forms, so the infections may wax and wane (as you aptly described, “the activity comes and goes”). You may do better with a diagnosis to have the lesions biopsied and have some pathology run on them for these specific infections. Here is a website you may like to research a bit further:

http://www.cpnhelp.org

Unfortunately, the first line of treatment, regardless of diagnosis and without any real infectious work-up, is immune-suppression, which usually leaves patients on the drug train for life. Recent studies out of Florida, however, have demonstrated the efficacy of using longterm combination antibiotics for reactive arthritides, Here is a past discussion thread covering this topic:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3524&forum_id=1&highlight=taylor+florida

Of course, there are other possible infectious offenders that have been tied to reactive arthritides (e.g. klebsiella pneumoniae), but if your dermatologist diagnoses you with Keratoderma blenorrhagicum when you go to see him, then it is only reasonable to suspect chlamydia trachomatis as an infectious suspect.

In any case, antibiotic therapy has worked well for others with PsA and if you type in “Psoriatic Arthritis” in the search box above, you'll find past discussion threads where others have described their journey back to health.

The upcoming Summer edition of the Road Back eBulletin is also going to be sent to all subscribers soon and includes the uplifting testimonial of “Vinnie” who has successfully recovered from very severe, swift onset PsA with antibiotic therapy. To subscribe and receive your free copy of the eBulletin, just go to the home button above and enter your email address in the box provided for this purpose on the main page (right side of page about mid-way down).

I am just a fellow patient, Psaoff, so please only take what resonates here with you in your researches for uncovering the most effective treatment for you. I just noted a few things in your description of symptoms that rang some bells with past research I've done, so just passing this info along to you to research for yourself. Hope something here helps! Lynnie is our wonderful volunteer in Australia and, if you should choose AP (antibiotic protocols as per Dr. Brown), then she is the informed go-to person to help with locating a physician to help in this treatment choice.

Peace, Maz

Mepron 5ml BID (4 weeks on/2 weeks off)
    Azithromycin 250mg BID (4 weeks on/2 weeks off)
    LDN started 02/16/10 and increas

Maz

Thanks for the response.

The skin thing has never been a major issue for me. I think once my hands peeled significantly but no lesions or redness of any sort just scaly peeling skin in some parts.

Its really difficult to decide which drug to take. I guess there has been some major joint damage in the toes as the recent MRI of left right foot has indicated so im thinking of taking the quickest most effective drug which appears to be enbrel to prevent further damage to my toes and wherever it targets next ; (

I read Dr Browns whole book last night. Yes in one night and it does sound like it works and at least it targets the cause. However there doesnt appear to be a whole heap of people on this treatment in Australia there certainly isnt a whole heap of doctors prescribing AP and my rheumy said the tetracycline thing seemed to die off about 10 years ago. She also mentioned that she doesnt have a single patient on this program. Yes im enlightened by the numerous people who have had results with AP though.

I'd love to find some people who have tried MTX, Enbrel and/or AP who have a similiar thing to me. Will keep looking on the bulletin board and hope i cross paths with someone soon. In the meantime im going to contact the AP doctor recommended although in Melbourne.

Many thanks to you and Lyn for the information.

Victor

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I read Dr Browns whole book last night. Yes in one night and it does sound like it works and at least it targets the cause. However there doesnt appear to be a whole heap of people on this treatment in Australia there certainly isnt a whole heap of doctors prescribing AP and my rheumy said the tetracycline thing seemed to die off about 10 years ago. She also mentioned that she doesnt have a single patient on this program. Yes im enlightened by the numerous people who have had results with AP though.

I did the same 7 years ago and a light bulb went off in my head that has never gone out.

There are more people than you'd imagine on an AP – but it certainly isnt mainstream medicine – and may never be, partly because it needs to be tailored to the individual and most medicine and treatment regimes aren't offered in this way. Also, most rheumies will have some kind of story why it doesnt work/has gone out of favour/ etc etc – and there are many and complex reasons for this (some of which are covered in the book). To choose the AP route is really to decide to be an upstream swimmer and that isnt for everyone. This approach does take persistence – to find someone to work with, to tweak the treatment and to wait for results. This is a slow road to wellness – and one that sets out to target cause rather than symptoms. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

I'd love to find some people who have tried MTX, Enbrel and/or AP who have a similiar thing to me. Will keep looking on the bulletin board and hope i cross paths with someone soon. In the meantime im going to contact the AP doctor recommended although in Melbourne.

Hi Victor,

Yea, it's really a challenge to navigate all this in the early days…getting informed while feeling unwell, trying to find a doc to help with the therapy, etc. We've all been in the same boat at one time or other, but in spite of the hurdles, it can be done….that's the good part. Kudos to you for getting the book and getting through it so quickly!

If this helps, there are folk here who either begin antibiotic protocols (AP) while also starting more conventionally-used meds or they just happen to find AP after being on other meds and decide to switch out. A member called, Prix560, hasn't posted here in a while, but you can read through his posts – he was on both Enbrel and AP and was going thru the process of weaning from the Enbrel after starting AP. Here's a link to threads where he's posted in the past that you can browse:

http://rbfbb.org/view_user.php?id=480&posts=1

It's okay to be on both, if that is your preference, put it that way. Of course, now that you've read the book, you know Brown felt it wasn't the ideal and if one adheres to the infectious cause rationale, to suppress an immune system that is already compromised by infection….but not everyone's situation is the same. Some people need to work, bring up small kids, look after elderly relatives, etc., and the need to function isn't really a choice. If this is your choice, to combine AP with Enbrel, it can be done. It may take quite a while to wean from the Enbrel (spacing shots further apart as tolerated) when stabilized on both treatments and some herxing and drug-rebound is likely to occur at some point when weaning, but it is possible.

Often, a biologic is now given along with methotrexate to avert the risk of the body building up resistance to the biologic drug, which can happen within several years. I don't know what the Aussie health system is doing re: standard of care for rheumatics, but here the norm is for rheumies to start folk on methotrexate and other first-line drugs before heading into the biologic drugs. This may be due to the fact that the biologics are so costly, but also because the biologics are usually what are used when all else has failed. This may not be as true nowadays, as in the case of Mickelson, the golfer, who was offered it as a first-line med….but, he's also a wealthy guy and is probably well-insured.

I always think the most challenging side to all this for rheumatics is that it really comes down to a “pick your poison” scenario. These diseases are nasty and life-changing. No one wants to be on longterm antibiotics or longterm more conventionally-used meds. So, all we can do as patients is get as informed as possible about all the options, their risk/benefit ratio, what we're willing to accept as a trade-off, and decide for ourselves what makes sense and what may get us the best results with the least amount of collateral damage. You shouldn't feel pressured by anyone to do anything, either from a rheumy who should probably just be viewed as a health consultant (and t'was ever thus that every consultant will have their own views), but equally from anyone here or on any other discussion forum or even from well-meaning friends/family…the purpose of this forum is just to offer resources and support for those who do choose AP. 🙂

In the book, it explains why AP got side-lined almost from the get-go. Long before rheumatic diseases were thought to be idiopathic, however, they were believed to be caused by infections. It was when the double-edged sword of “cortisone” came on the scene that conventional medicine began viewing them as idiopathic (no known cause) and that an errant immune system needed to be suppressed. Since the advent of cortisone (now in the shape of prednisone), of course, all drugs have been geared towards immune-suppression. The arthritis industry is the second most lucrative industry, next to cancer treatments, bringing in billions of dollars in revenues per annum for big Pharma. I can't help but contemplate, if tomorrow, a cure was found for all forms of inflammatory arthritis and what this would do to this industry. All in all, it's not a huge leap to see why cheap, easily produced antibiotics have been brushed to the side nor why so little investment is being in made into research for infectious causes. As Lynnie mentioned, it's a longterm therapy and not an overnight fix.

All this said, it's valuable to know that the tetracyclines have amazing immune-modulating properties that actually prevent joint damage, so whatever path you choose, AP is a nice addition. Here is a link to a presentation that was given by a UK presenter at an American College of Rheumatology meeting last year where he describes all the immune-modulating properties of this class of antibiotics aside from their antibacterial properties (it's in relation to RA, specifically, but the immune-modulating props apply universally to all inflammatory, destructive arthritides):

http://acr.confex.com/acr/2009/webprogram/Paper10631.html

Sorry to rhubbarb on, Victor! :blush: Do hope something here is of help in your decision-making process and am sure others on the combination of AP and a biologic will chime in here with their experience of this mix when they see your post.

All the best to you!

Peace, Maz

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Psaoff  Glad you found this site, I see you met Maz and Lynnie, some of the best volunteers this BB has , as you might have noticed by their posts.  I just want to say you came to the right place and after you learn more about your disease I am sure you will make the right choice. I wish I would have found the Road back web site as quick as you did because I would not have the joint damage I have now if I did. Two years on traditonal drugs for (Me) was a waste of time for my recovery from severe rheumatoid arthritis because none of it did any good for me. When I got my first precription for minocycline I stopped taking Enbrel and mtx right away and prednesone a month later, I kept taking the once a day Mobic and to this day I only take minocycline and Mobic. I have been doing Ap for 5 1/2 years and doing just great for a man of 70 .  I am not saying you should do what I did, but the sooner one starts AP the sooner it may work for them and knowing that it does'nt work for everyone but your young yet and diagnosed early ,You have a good chance of early success . See my testimonial (in it for the long haul) and others in the Testimonial section    ……Good Luck………..Joe             

psaoff
    Participant

God bless all of you wonderful people.

Im going to read through your messages when i get home as im at work and the tears are welling up.

fyi i just went to a dermatoligist at lunch and low and behold i do have psorisis in a very embarrasing and common place. This psorisis which i always thought was a rash has been there since June 09 about 3 months before the joint damage.

At least this “which arthritis do i have” has been put to bed.

Many many thanks,

Victor 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

fyi i just went to a dermatoligist at lunch and low and behold i do have psorisis in a very embarrasing and common place. This psorisis which i always thought was a rash has been there since June 09 about 3 months before the joint damage.

At least this “which arthritis do i have” has been put to bed.

Victor, did you get any answers on the palmar and plantar rashes? One doesn't hear of these types of rashes with psoriasis very often, if at all. Glad to hear you have a more definitive diagnosis to go on. 

Was the derm able to provide any insight or further testing to help? Getting to the bottom of which infections may be implicated in a diagnosis can be helpful in terms of antibiotics that may be of benefit or not.

Hope you're holding up okay, Victor…the early days of diagnosis and coping with pain are challenging, I know. You have friends here to lean on and who understand if you need a sounding board.

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Hi psaoff,

I have had PsA for almost 30 yrs. Everyone has given you great information on AP and they're all wonderful so I won't repeat what they say. I just wanted to warn you against using oral prednisone, and to be careful with the cortisone shots. Over time they can weaken the tendons in the areas they are used.

Also, it's not uncommon for someone with PsA not to have the skin condition. Sometimes it precedes the arthritis by 5-10 yrs, sometimes it follows by several years, or never shows up at all. But you may have changes in your nails that you might not recognize as psoriasis, like pitting. Often those with PsA develop psoriasis in their nails but no where else. Altho the HLA marker does occur in some patients, but it doesn't in others, like you, and me. The difference between RA and PsA is the type of swelling. PsA will often be in the toes and fingers, but also wrists, ankles and spine. It can affect the tendons, which is called enthesitis, and also the bones and other connective tissue in addition to the joint itself, which makes the finger or toe look like a sausage. In RA, only the joint is affected by the swelling. Usually PsA is less damaging to the joints, but it can be more painful than RA because there is more tissue involved. It is usually not symmetrical but can be in some cases.

If you want to give AP a try, do it now while the disease is still in the beginning stage so that it will be more effective, and visit here often, these volunteers are very good. Best wishes for whatever you decide.

heatherbell
    Participant

Hi Victor,

I've been on AP for 7 months now and I can't get my inflammation down.  I am now using a walker around the house, so progressively getting worse.  My AP doc says it's time to get on the conventional drugs to avoid further damage.  However, like others have said, I will remain on the antibiotics as well and hopefully later down the track I will be able to wean off the MTX and other drugs I may be put on.  Appointment with the rheumy is 13th Sept.  Ultimately, it is your decision.  Like Linda says, avoid the prednisone – it is hell to get off it.  All the best.

psaoff
    Participant

Hi All,

I had a shot of cortisone in one of my toe joints today. It hurt but it does feel a little less painful. Im planning on getting one more in the other foot to balance up. As for predisone itook this once earlier on and it was good but only lasted a little while. I want a long-term solution not a short-term fix.
    I do think the cortisone may stop some of the inflammation going on in one toe which may actually prevent joint damage if i cant get the MTX or AP to work soon. I dont intend to keep taking the cortisone.

My PSA is symmetrical in that it has affected both feet in mostly the same joints minus the 3rd metartarsal on left foot the 2nd 3rd 4th on right and 2nd and 4th on left are involved.

I had some enlarged tendons in my hands for a while and this was equal on both sides however this has subsided. I am not affected anywhere else (thank God im very lucky).

Im not sure what kind of psorisis i have are there different types? If so i will call the dermatoligist and find out. Is AP and psorisis a bad mix or is it generally safe to take AP when yo have psorisis?

Going to give the AP doctor a call this week.

I have that MTX prescription too which im looking to fill later in the week.

Had my last big drink on saturday night and told my friends there is no more drinking for me. They are sad and so am i but its probably for the best. I think the MTX and AP together might be the best option as im not prepared to wait 9 months for action from the AP. Ive already had a heap of damage to my feet and im lucky to be able to walk albeit in loads of pain at the worst of times.

Thank you for your support and i will let you know how i get on.

Many thanks,

Victor:D

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Victor – there are 3 testimonials on our main site http://www.roadback.org from people who've had success using AP for PsA – in fact the latest story on the site is one of those. The links to them are below:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/community.display/display_id/505.html

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/community.display/display_id/379.html

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/community.display/display_id/213.html

You might also want to take a look at the Medical Histories section at http://www.rheumatic.org for more of the same. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

vera
    Participant

Hi,

This is my first post, so please let me know if I'm doing it wrong! 

I was dx with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and fibromyalgia some years ago.  My regular physician suggested AP close to two years ago, but (much to my regret now) I rejected his offer.  Since finding this site and reading Scammel's book, I was convinced to try AP.  I have just finished one month on AP (100 mg Minocin/MWF).  

I have a question about taking mino with green tea.  I understand it should not be taken with certain minerals/foods, but am wondering if green tea would diminish any benefit of the mino. 

This site is a blessing, and I'm so grateful for all the postings that have convinced me to give AP a try.

Lori

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Welcome to the Road Back Forum Lori! Here is a link to some info about medications that probably should not be taken with green tea. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000910.htmThey include beta lactam antibiotics (which include the penicillin derivatives). It doesnt say anything about the tetracyclines. If it was me, however, I'd take stick to water with the mino and have my green tea at another time. You could also check with your doctor about this.

Your first post was just fine! What you may want to do is add your diagnosis/date diagnosed and what medications you are on to your profile. These will then come up every time you post. Click on my account above, then click on the tab profile that comes up and put the info in the signature box and save it. You can change this info at any time by going through the same steps.

By the way, sounds like you have a pretty on-the-ball regular physician!Wishing you all the best on your road back. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ Psoriatic Arthritis’ is closed to new replies.