Home Forums General Discussion possible option for the problems with getting mino?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne
    Participant

My daughter isn’t on mino, but I’ve been reading the posts about the shortages and steep co-pays.

My daughter has to have her Plaquenil made at a compounding pharmacy because it is not manufactured in her dose. They take the raw ingredient and put it into capsules for her.

Today I asked if they could do the same with minocycline. They said yes, they just aren’t allowed to do it if is manufactured in that dose. As an example, if you are using 100 mg pills, you could get an rx for 125 mg.

They checked and both their suppliers did show ‘out of stock’ for minocycline, so they believed me LOL. Then they checked and they are able to purchase to the ingredients. Just a thought that might help someone save some money! I said I’ve seen people spending hundreds per month, and they said it would not be anywhere near that expensive.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

richie
    Participant

Hi–If it is in the United States -there is virtually unlimited supplies of minocin and minocycline both in brand and generic –
    richie

vera
    Participant

I just ordered brand name Minocin from my pharmacy here in the US. It was cheaper than I have been getting in Canada! However, I am unsure of the maker of it, will see when I get it. But, it is the brand name Minocin.

Lori

richie
    Participant

Hi—I would check carefully as 100 mg brand minocin in the US is pelleted green capsules ONLY —its made by Triax –the pricing doesnt sound correct as the wholesale cost per capsule is about 6.00 –retail about 11.00 or so –
    richie

vera
    Participant

Richie,

Would Triax Minocin be less effective than generic minocycline? I believe the pharmacy told me it was pelleted and that was my main concern. But perhaps I’m missing something here??

Lori

richie
    Participant

Hi–No=–The triax minocin which is the brand in my opinion is preferable to generic –I have used it now for 12 years or so —what prevents widespread use is the prohibitive cost compared to generic –what I have is doubt about is the cost factor you mention —Canadian used to cost about 2.00 per capsule of 100 mg –while the American version of the brand cost about 10-12 per capsule –so I am wondering how your pharmacist can deliver branded Minocin in the US for this low cost -And if it is the case -hopefully you can give out his name to whomever needs it —Fortunately my Minocin is covered by insurance -and it still costs me a 90.00 co-pay -but thats for 180 capsules –a three month supply
    richie

vera
    Participant

Richie,

I ordered a 3 month supply from my mail order pharmacy, so when I receive it, will find out what brand I’m getting and let others know. It was $140. Hope I’m not “sorry” about what I’m getting!

Lori

vera
    Participant

I just paid $140 for 180 capsules of Triax Minocin. It is green, pelleted. Not as good as Richie’s co-pay.

Lori

richie
    Participant

Hi–Thats still an excellent cost on it —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lori,
    @vera wrote:

I just paid $140 for 180 capsules of Triax Minocin. It is green, pelleted. Not as good as Richie’s co-pay.

Would you please tell me what is written on the capsules?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

My current capsules read Triax M0100 and Triax 100 mg —-
    richie

vera
    Participant

Phil,

The capsules have the following printed on them:

Triax M0100 Triax 100 mg

Lori

246bride
    Participant

Hi Lori,

Would you mind spelling out exactly what I would need to do to get the same Minocin? What pharmacy are you using?

Thx!

Carey

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lori,
    @vera wrote:

Phil,

The capsules have the following printed on them:

Triax M0100 Triax 100 mg

Thank-you.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

vera
    Participant

Hi Carey,

I am guessing it is my insurance plan that lets me gets this good price. I called my prescription provider (Medco) and they gave me that price using the mail order pharmacy (Target), and getting a 3 month’s supply. If I just went up to our local Target and got a one month’s supply, it would have been more expensive. This was essentially getting one month “free” by ordering 3 months thru mail order.

If you’d like more info, let me know.

Best!

Lori

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.