Home Forums General Discussion padding on my feet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DAR
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone else is having the problem with losing the padding on the bottom of your feet? If you have what did you do to make it easier to walk or stand for a longer period of time? does the padding ever come back or am I going to have this problem the rest of my life?

Dar

Kim
    Participant

Hey Dar,

Yes, lots of the SD gang have this problem, me included.  You can do a search on old threads on this topic.  I've lost the padding on my feet and hands.  At my age I'm doubtful the padding will return.  Going barefoot is too painful so I don't do it and wear shoes with lots of cush.  Haven't figured out what I can do about the padding on my hands which really bothers me more.

Not fun, but at least you're not alone.

Take care…..kim

JeffN
    Participant

Kim and Dar I too had very painful feet for a while but am pleased to say they don't really bother me anymore. I am not sure if the padding came back, came back enough, or if something else was causing the pain and that has resolved. Bottom line they seem fine now I can go barefoot etc. My hands are still somewhat sensitive but nothing like before. The ends of my fingers, middle and index particularly, if I run them into something hurt a lot but that goes away quickly. My middle and index fingers were the ones with the most damage.

Kim I'm sure I am older than you so there would still be hope!

Kim
    Participant

[user=21]JeffN[/user] wrote:

Kim I'm sure I am older than you so there would still be hope!

You're sweet, Jeff, but I doubt it. :doh:  

But, that is great to hear that you're not bothered much anymore with your feet.  I know what you mean about the sensitivity on the fingers………ouch!  We're about at the same level in our comeback, and I think as we're feeling better and back in the game, we just forget about things, such as not bumping our fingers.

Take care…..kim

BrendanG
    Participant

Hi

During the first two or three months my feet were very sore and sensitive,  however this has pretty much disappeared except for the first dozen or so steps when I get up int the morning, however I think this is more tendon and ligament related.

I don't think I have any change in the padding of my feet.  In fact other than a little bit of instep pain,  my feet are pretty much unaffected by skin progressive and tighetning.

richie
    Participant

Hi

A very common occurence in scleroderma –I lost the padding on bottom of feet as well as hands and it doesnt come back –if you will also notice many SD folk have thin lips –this is due to loss of collagen in lips –yet SD is a disease of over production of collagen –go figure !!!

richie

Kim
    Participant

Lips,………….what lips?

paper tiger
    Participant

Out of curiosity… how quickly does the padding go? Is it only once your hands/feet have been hardened for a long time? I'm nowhere close yet, and my hope is that by starting doxy in a week and a half, I'll be able to totally circumvent that stage entirely, but I'm curious to know what may await me…

I'm a ballet dancer, and if I lost the padding on my feet, I'd be devastated… hopefully being 23 years old and still in ok shape will help me out of this one.

Kim
    Participant

I lost the padding in the first year of being sick, but you are catching yours early so, hopefully, it won't be an issue for you.

I just can't see you performing in crocs. :roll-laugh:

kim

paper tiger
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

I lost the padding in the first year of being sick, but you are catching yours early so, hopefully, it won't be an issue for you.

I just can't see you performing in crocs. :roll-laugh:

kim

Did it precede skin tightening or follow it?

As for crocs: I tried my first pair on yesterday, actually, and decided quite quickly that I could never bring myself to wear them. They looked cute on a friend of mine who used them as indoor shoes, but on me, they looked exceedingly frumpy. Hopefully, on some psychological level, my total aesthetic aversion to crocs will be enough to 'psychosomatically' snap me out of “padding loss” (or SD altogether…!)

Kim
    Participant

I had the skin tightening first, although never on my feet.

I agree with the crocs…….they look like Mickey Mouse shoes, which is why I only wear them around the house. 😉

kim

sierrra
    Participant

I read that there is an injeection one can get in the feet to restore some of the padding. Celebrities do this to make the fashionable high heels bearable. I believe it lasts about 6 months.

Sierra

Kim
    Participant

Not for me.  With SD, there's a chance your body could turn it into a big hunk of scar tissue. :doh:

Jeff's got better, so I haven't given up hope that mine might too, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

kim

MaryP
    Participant

I too lost the padding in my feet and hands pretty early on with my SD.  I was really protective of my hands, as whacking it against something accidentally could bring me to my knees.  Barefoot was just impossible, so cushy shoes with support was the way to go.  Now, I can walk barefoot, even on my hardwood floors.  I can't tell you exactly when that happened, but it's within the past several months.  Haven't tried heels, yet….the thought of them is painful 🙂  My feet were very tight very early in my SD, btw.

My hands are still quite tight, but fingers are loosening and more flexible.  They are definitely getting better.  Maybe yours will come along as well, Kim!

richie
    Participant

Hi

I pass on that— padded orthotics do help me –but thanks

richie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ padding on my feet’ is closed to new replies.