Home Forums General Discussion newest research in AI diseases-Had to share

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

This is part of a response to efuller's post 'at a crossroads', but I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

I found this little gem that has me very excited. It's a drug that invades overactive immune cells and causes them to self destruct. The best part – NO SIDE EFFECTS AND 75% EFFECTIVE!:roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

“This new therapy stopped the disease cold in 75 percent of the mice,”

Here is the link. Can you imagine the success of this new treatment when combined with AP? I want to be part of this research, I'm going to ask my Dr. Wonderful if he can knows where I can sign up. I'm having a little party in my head right now!:dude:

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2010/01/28/new.suicide.molecule.halts.rheumatoid.arthritis

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi Linda,

Yes, I saw that and was intrigued too. I agree that calming the immune system is probably the other half of the coin to getting well.

What I'm hoping for, however, is that as the bacteria come under better control, that my immune system gets retrained and starts dampening itself. So far the theory is holding water as I am now off the humira and feeling better than ever!

It's always good to have several routes to solving a problem though, so this could be a good breakthrough, even if we never need it (fingers crossed!).

Trudi
    Participant

[user=415]spacehoppa[/user] wrote:

I am now off the humira and feeling better than ever!

Ruth–congratulations–this is super good news!!!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Trudi
    Participant

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

I found this little gem that has me very excited.

Linda,

Thanks for posting this.  It will be interesting what we hear in the future about this treatment.  I get a little nervous when I read “self-destruct”–I'd hate to have something go wrong and good immune cells start to self-destruct.  If it works, though, I can see why you are so excited.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

JBJBJB
    Participant

Linda,

This is really exciting!!!! Northwestern is a leading research school for RA. I am going to keep my eyes on this research.

Wow…. ya sure made my day!!!

JB

linda
    Participant

Yes Trudi, I had the same worry, that immune cells that we need would self destruct as well. From what I understand, it's the over reactive immune cells that have low levels the substance BIM, and the 'suicide drug' – not a fan of that name –  that sneaks into the cells brings the levels up to normal. The result being that the immune cells self destruct like our normal immune cells do after the threat has passed; but the normal immune cells that have normal amounts of BIM are not affected. I was so excited when I read this that I may have misunderstood, I'll go back and read it again. (Btw, BIM reminds of the movie with Doris Day and Rock Hudson, where they're trying to make advertisements for 'VIP'. I'm a little nutty today.)

Resetting the immune system is important, too, I'm wondering if this could somehow help, Ruth. And I'm soooo happy for you, no more Humira! Yay!!! I'm doing the happy dance in my head! That is one shot that I do not miss, yikes.

I'm very excited to talk to my rheumy about this, I think that I'll leave a message for him before the appt, that I would like to know more about this, so that he is prepared. Tiff if you're reading this I'll let you know what he says, everyone else here, too. I'm not singling Tiff out, it's just that we go to the same group of rheumies. I'm not sure if her doctor is as Wonderbar as mine, tho.;)

I'm just trying to imagine, AP inhibits the bacteria so there is less to which the immune system can react. And any bugs that escape the abx will be properly disposed of by immune cells that don't hang around and cause trouble. It almost sounds sort of, maybe, close to a…cure. Yep, I said it, cure. I'm having a really tough day pain wise and I think I'm getting a little floopy. 😀

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Linda,

Great find!  I was just discussing this very topic with Jessica, she attended a discussion among PhDs today on EBV and how it lives inside the cells which should die off once infected but they don't.  These cells, the B Cells are an important part of the immune sytem and apparently there are only so many of these cells, if they get used up or inactivated by the virus (or maybe other pathogens) they lower the immune function. 

You know the phrase, “it takes a villiage” well, this villiage has really helped to set my kid up in a really good place.  Her bosses love her and she is able to understand so much more than a lowly undergrad could ever hope to because of all of the wonderful discussions that happen here on the RBFBB.  As Jess goes through the process of applying to medical school, a little piece of everyone here will go with her.  She is so much more because of what I am able to pass along from postings on this forum.  Last summer, A Friend forwarded a bunch of links on magnesiun which Jess was preparing a presentation on, she has a very large and worldwide support system.

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

What a wonderful post, Cheryl. A village is right and I agree, there is so much fantastic information posted on this site. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

linda
    Participant

It is wonderful to know that some good is coming out of all of this suffering. My best wishes to Jess in applying to med school. She certainly has experience in immune disorders, lyme disease, mycoplasma infections and many other medical conditions. Keep us informed as to where she ends up. Un. of TX in Austin and in San Antonio have excellent programs from what I hear; the biomedical industry here is the 3rd largest industry in San Antonio, lots of jobs in that field here.

Jared spent last Dec sending in applications for grad school. Not only were they tres expensive, they were all due the week of finals. The schools in TX have a later deadline than the schools he applied to that are out of state, so at least he'll have the replies from the out of state schools before he spends the time and money on more applications for in-state schools. It's criminal how much it costs these kids just to apply to schools, and tuition is continuing to rise. I saw that UCLA increased it's tuition by 31%! Holy wow!

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

Jared spent last Dec sending in applications for grad school. Not only were they tres expensive, they were all due the week of finals. The schools in TX have a later deadline than the schools he applied to that are out of state, so at least he'll have the replies from the out of state schools before he spends the time and money on more applications for in-state schools. It's criminal how much it costs these kids just to apply to schools, and tuition is continuing to rise. I saw that UCLA increased it's tuition by 31%! Holy wow!

Yes, the application process is very expensive, and on top of that, from what I understand, IF they make it through the first round, there are interviews.  Which means you have to travel at your own expense.  Both the time and money related to this is overwhelming.

She is starting the MCAT prep course soon, then she will take the test at the beginning of summer, apps are due in mid-October.  Yikes this is all happening so fast. 

And, you mentioned the UCLA fess, yes, Jess is currently in the UC system, so the fees are going up the same as UCLA, California is broke and because I work for the State of California, I have a 15% pay cut to boot. 

What is Jared planning to study in grad school?  Will he hear from schools soon?  Let us know.

Cheryl

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2]Cheryl F[/user] wrote:

As Jess goes through the process of applying to medical school…

Congratulations to Jess!!  How very exciting!!  Good luck to her, too. 

Trudi

Kim
    Participant

Cheryl,

Can we just go ahead and add Jess to the AP doc list now?  :roll-laugh:

kim

linda
    Participant

Jared will be working on his Phd in pure math. I know that he would like to go out of state to study, but I'm secretly hoping he decides to stay in Tx. His girlfriend is also taking the mcat, so maybe we can convert her to our cause.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Cheryl,

Can we just go ahead and add Jess to the AP doc list now?  :roll-laugh:

kim

FUNNY!  But actually, some of the docs have such waiting lists, this may not be out of line! LOL:roll-laugh:

Linda,

PhD in MATH, YUCK!  I HATE MATH!  But Jess is really good at Math, I cannot even imagine what a PhD in math would be like.  She has gone all the way through all the calculus and physics stuff, WAY OVER MY HEAD!  My younger daughter, Claire, struggles in math, but is still far more advanced than I.

Jess really has her sights set on one of the big name prestigious schools, like Dr. Brown's Alma mater, but at $64,000/year for that, I too hope that she ends up at a state school.  UC San Francisco is one of the top rated medical schools in the US (top 5 I think) and the cost for that would be less than HALF of the private Med Schools.  Over four years, half of $64,000 per year is over $120,000 MORE, can you believe it.  Additionally, UC San Francisco is about 1.5 hours away from where we live, it would be so nice to have her nearby.

Again, let us know where Jared ends up!

Cheryl

linda
    Participant

In my days working at the math lab at the college I attended, those would be fighting words! But yes, the math at his level, he's already taken 3 grad level classes, looks nothing like what even I saw, but I had to quit just as I was getting into the upper level classes. It's all theory-stuff like proving that a negative times a negative equals a positive, which takes about 2 pages; also analysis and abstract stuff. Very little of what he studies have problems with numbers. He is very passionate about it, to Jared it's like painting is to an artist.  If you get what math is really about, you realize what a beautiful thing it is. It is merely another language that can be used to describe just about anything in the universe. It's also one of the few studies that doesn't have any conflict over the truth of what is taught, at least not at the levels of calculus and below. And just one more thing; all these modern advances in building, transportation, energy would not be possible without the discovery of the derivative and the integral, which is where calculus starts. Simply stated, a derivative is just the rate of change, or velocity, and the integral is even more simple, it's just the area under a curve. These 2 simple discoveries changed our world every bit as much as the lightbulb, telephone, assembly lines or any other big invention or discovery. And let's not leave out imaginary numbers, without which we couldn't distribute and maintain electricity.

Am I boring anyone yet? Never, ever say I hate math in front of a mathematician, unless you want a long lecture.;)! One of my favorite quotes is from Einstein, “As far as the laws of mathematics refers to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ newest research in AI diseases-Had to share’ is closed to new replies.