Home Forums General Discussion New Year/new regimen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    mom
    Participant

After reading about what a difference MSM made for some of you, I decided to add MSM and Mg to my med list. I started out with 500mg of Magnesium and 2000mg of MSM. I started this on new year's day and I'm feeling about 10% better than a week ago.
    I have lots of inflammation, can't make fists, can't open jars or bottles, have hard time pulling sheets over at night and the list goes on……….
    I'm hoping I can continue to improve and have more active life.

Feel free to give me advise.

MOM

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Mom,

I found a remarkable improvement after I starting taking MSM and got up to high doses, and changed my diet. Over Christmas I wasn't as strict with both and found I had more pain in my wrists. I am back on track now and feel so much better :).

My goal now is to find some nice recipes that I can use weekly, so I don't get too skinny, I love to snack and find not eating gluten, theres not much to snack on.

I hope you keep on feeling better and keep us posted on your inflammation levels with your MSM………………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

mom
    Participant

Thanks Annie, your posting earlier actually got me started on MSM.
    How much are you taking now?

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I am up to 25,000mg, I started taking the powder, but am back on the tablets for a while as the powder tastes disgusting…………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Lily A
    Participant

Hi Annie,
    I have been researching msm and following the info on this site about it for the last couple of days.   Do you actually take 25- 1000mg. tablets  in one day?
    isn't that difficult to swallow?  I was at trader joes yesterday and they have 1000mg. pills.  Do I need to be careful of any additives etc.
    Thank you for the advice.
    Lily A

Rockin Annie
    Participant

[user=920]Lily A[/user] wrote:

Hi Annie,
    I have been researching msm and following the info on this site about it for the last couple of days.   Do you actually take 25- 1000mg. tablets  in one day?
    isn't that difficult to swallow?  I was at trader joes yesterday and they have 1000mg. pills.  Do I need to be careful of any additives etc.
    Thank you for the advice.
    Lily A

Hi Lily,

My tabs are 1500mg and I take 6am, 5 midday, and 6pm, I used to sometimes gag on the pills, but used to them now. I buy them on line from http://www.puritanspride.com/

item #  011732

I have found someone here that buys from them the states and the powder is in a purer form, I just have to get used to taking powder as it is disgusting.

Yes you do have to be careful about fillers. Jo gave me a link for powder if you want, I have to find it, let me know. I think if you can take it in powder form, its much better. :)………………Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Annie – here's a few suggestions re eating/snacking if you are gluten and dairy free:

1. Country Life Bread (avail in Coles and Woolies). Buy the greeny/blue label, has no dairy. It tastes good unlike most of those breads and you dont have to toast it. [/*:2kgamg0v]
    2. Nuttelex spread (original or kosher) – butter/marg substitute and it's good tasting and without any nasties as ingredients.  (recommended by my naturopath)[/*:2kgamg0v]
    3. Soft goat's cheese – makes a good snack on the bread (spreadable). All fruit pectin jams. Whole cashew nut spread. [/*:2kgamg0v]
    4. Free and Lo Muesli – avail in supermarkets. Made in conjunction with allergy dieticians. I eat mine with sliced eco banana (no insecticides used)  [/*:2kgamg0v]
    5. Rice savoury biscuits [/*:2kgamg0v]
    6. 'Free From' range of sweet biscuits etc (check your supermarket) – you can find some that are both gluten and dairy free. Just dont overinduldge in these (sugar and yeast)! [/*:2kgamg0v]
    7. http://www.naturallyglutenfree.com.au. They have a range of good tasting products. Have lots of tasty products, including a pizza base. The banana bread is to die for! Again, however, watch your intake because of sugar/yeast content. They do have some stockists in QLD but also do home delivery.[/*:2kgamg0v]

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,

I was hoping for some suggestions, I did just buy the country life (orange label) but has such a different taste. I am just on my way to the shops so will pick up the one you suggest, as I am craving for some bruchetta.

I will make a list and check out. Do you have any special dips that you eat/make,  when we come home after a night of dancing, we like to have a wine and something to nibble on, food I mean:roll-laugh:. I have no imagination with cooking.

Thanks lynnie for reading my mind…………………Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Annie- I nibble on cashews (though too many of those upsets my tummy), toast with thinly spread goat's cheese, eco bananas, – occasionally corn chips, plain potato crisps. Dont forget I'm also generally sulphite free (no preservatives) and low salicylates. Bruschetta completely out for me – tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar absolute no-nos! Watch your labels BTW – the orange label Country Life bread does contain some dairy! And with soy, if you drink it, most brands contain sugar and/or malt (which contains gluten). I buy Australia's Own Malt-Free soy – recommended by my naturopath and which I reckon tastes the absolue best anyway. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Lynnie, I didn't like the orange label bread, but tried the one you suggested just this morning after buying and can probably get used to the taste. I am also a bit worried about tomatoes, haven't had them for so long, but hanging out for bruchetta, I love the stuff.  I must say I stick to whole foods, but just sometimes I would love to have some bread with lashings of butter soak through, yum :). But the only bad thing I really have is Red Rock Deli potato chips, I eat heaps to keep my weight up.

I am not into soy and stick to rice milk, I need to do what you say and read labels, experiment and be adventurous, I would love a personal chef, wouldn't that be wonderful.

Thanks Lynnie for your suggestions, I also tried goats cheese, so strong tasting, will try another brand………………Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

If you buy soft goat's cheese (curd), it's not nearly as strong tasting. I love it. The Red Rock potato chips are probably not bad for you (assuming you have no issues with potatoes). Though you'd be better off with some whole potatoes to get the vitamins. I do mine steamed then tossed with other veg in nuttelex (tastes great and not chemically challenged like margarines) and lots of sea salt. You can also get carbs to help keep your weight on from Basmati Rice, which is Low GI. Stir Fries using Tamari (wheat free organic soy sauce) are also good. My weight has now stabilised at 51kg (112 pounds). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Rockin Annie
    Participant

So I can have Basmati Rice, I often pick it up, but wasn't sure, so I was sticking to just brown rice. I will try the goats cheese again, do I get it from the deli or is is prepacked, can you give me a brand name, also nuttlex, is that in the fridge area. I know these might seem silly questions, but I am not a real good shopper 🙂 and yes I use tamari often, I finally have got used to the taste.

Thanks Lynnie…………Annie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes Basmati's the one that my naturopath recommended. Nuttelex is in the same section as butters and margarine. See http://www.nuttelex.com.au for a visual of the packs and info. I get my soft goat's cheese from the deli….cut from a kind of log. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

vinny
    Participant

I'm just getting started on MSM and am at 16,000mg. I'm using powder which is quite bitter. Twice daily I'm adding 2 tsp to a dry glass and 1 tsp of stevia and then 8 oz of orange juice and stir vigorously. Kind of tastes like a voka screwdriver. This approach doesn't completely kill the bitter taste, but the aftertaste is quite good.

Vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

katieb
    Participant

On my 3rd week of MSM now, and up to 15g. I am using the 'crystal flakes' from UK web site http://www.a1msm.co.uk. Taking the whole lot in a glass of water after lunch, with a good shake of lemon juice. I find that disguises the flavour for me, especially if followed by a 'nice cuppa tea' !

I can't say how well it is working for sure, but last week I managed to do a few bits of jogging on my dog walks, because my knees feel better. :blush: Plus, over the Holidays I went with my son to an indoor 'real' snow ski slope and managed 1 1/2 hrs of that with no ill-effects !! A bit crazy I know – wouldn't have fancied taking a tumble 😯 – but I couldn't resist it !

So I am looking forward to my blood test tomorrow – can't believe inflammation isn't on its way down. Will keep you posted.

Katie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘ New Year/new regimen’ is closed to new replies.