Home Forums General Discussion New Treatment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Trudi
    Participant

Hi All–

I went to see my doctor last Wednesday.  The current lab results showed that all of my inflammation markers went down except my Fibrinogen.  The doctor now wants me to go on an antiinflammatory diet:  no beef, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs :crying:. I started the diet yesterday because I just didn't want to deal with it over the Memorial Day weekend!  I checked various threads on the BB which had a lot of good information and tips on following a limited diet.  Any input to make life easier, is appreciated.

Previous to this visit–so about 2 months ago–I told the doctor I had these soft nodules under my skin on my thighs.  He told me I was deficient in Vitamin A.  He put me on Vitamin A drops (along with my cod liver oil which I was already taking).  Since Vit A is fat soluable, I was reluctant to take the full dose that he recommended (25,000 IU)–I opted for the 10,000 IU.  For this visit, he had me tested for Vit A and Beta Carotene.  I was stunned when I heard that I am still deficient in Vit A.  Needless to say, I have upped my intake to the 25,000 IU.

My total cholesterol was 141 which did not make him happy at all.  He said it should be at least 180+.  This is all making a lot of sense especially in light of the following excerpt from an article posted regarding getting off of prednisone by Dr. Tom Cohen:

First, we are dealing with the adrenal cortex, not the medulla (which makes adrenaline). The hormones that the adrenal cortex makes are all derived from our best friend–cholesterol. Yes, cholesterol is the precursor to all the valuable adrenal hormones that help us deal with stress, inflamation and trauma, and that help our body to heal. Therefore adrenal insufficiency (lack of adrenal cortical hormones) is a fat deficiency. So the first step is simple and logical: eat more fat, especially cholesterol-rich animal fat. One of these fats should be cod liver oil to supply vitamin A. The adrenal cortex cannot make adrenal hormones out of cholesterol without vitamin A.

That's the new news for now.  Hope the diet works :)!!

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Trudi,

That's great news that you have less inflammation!!! Did your LLMD tell you at what point he would start you on antibiotic therapy or is he wholly naturopathic?

Pretty sure you must have seen this thread Lizz started recently on cholesterol, but it's interesting that so many of us our cholesterol deficient.

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=2486&forum_id=1&highlight=cholesterol

Peace, Maz

Trudi
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

Did your LLMD tell you at what point he would start you on antibiotic therapy or is he wholly naturopathic?

Hi Maz–

My neighbor goes to him for Lyme and she is on antibiotics; he most definitely treats each patient according to their symptoms and blood work.

I've been put on this machine, Bio-Energetic Health Screening, at each visit since December.  I think it has been a tremendous help as far as treatment.  The Lyme disease has definitely gotten better.  The metals, of which I tested 3x's the level of mercury, needs to be reduced.  He wants to do IV Vit C to chelate it.  He wanted to already the last time but I wasn't sure.  I said OK this last time and just had a blood test done to make sure that my body will metabolize it.

BTW, my doctor is an internist, holistic, and environmental medicine doctor.  I'm glad that he is a bonafide “doctor”, not “just alternative” when family and friends question his qualifications–if you know what I mean :).

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Lizz
    Participant

Trudi – interesting bit on the cholesterol. Have you been on prednisone? I have been on a small amount for about a year, down to 1mg a day and now switching to celebrex. So should us low cholesterol types eat animal fat? Jeez, I really stay away from that b/c it's inflammatory and hard to digest. But I will chug down the cod liver oil. Thanks for the interesting article, very helpful !

tainabell
    Participant

Hey Trudi,

Only thing that seems strange to me about the diet is the stopping of all eggs.  Eggs aren't inflammatory, are they?  I eat two boiled eggs for lunch every day and I think its been a big part of my recovery process, helping me switch from eating lots of sugary, carby foods to high protein foods.   

I can't find the link, but I read somewhere that eggs are good for arthritis (who knows if it was just internet babble though?).   Here's a site that has ten health benefits of eggs… 

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.html

Has anyone else's doctor put them off eggs? 

Trudi
    Participant

Have you been on prednisone?

Hi Liz–

Yes.  In 2005 for my son's wedding I was on it for I think about a week–just to get throught the wedding.  The rebound after it wore off was horrible–total increase in pain and stiffness. 

When my daughter got married, I took hydrocortisone to get me through the wedding.  I then took it on and off until I saw my LLMD this past October.  He said any steroids are a big NO NO if you have Lyme.

Only thing that seems strange to me about the diet is the stopping of all eggs.  Eggs aren't inflammatory, are they?  I eat two boiled eggs for lunch every day and I think its been a big part of my recovery process, helping me switch from eating lots of sugary, carby foods to high protein foods.  

Hi Tainabell–

The literature that I got from the doctor talks about having sensitivities to eggs and in turn causing inflammation.  I, too, ate two eggs at least 5 times a week.  Thanks for the article on the ten health benefits of eggs.  I really hope I can go back to eating them–they make quick-fix meals!

Take care,

Trudi

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Trudi;
        Maybe this artical might help you.Lecithin isinvaluable to our well being  http://www.physicalmag.com/index.php?a=64&p=9

sierrra
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

Hi All–

I went to see my doctor last Wednesday.  The current lab results showed that all of my inflammation markers went down except my Fibrinogen.  The doctor now wants me to go on an antiinflammatory diet:  no beef, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs :crying:.

Don't be sad! Tis is an opportunity for you to learn about a new way of eating that supports your health. Over time, your tastes will change and you will not want the foods you used to enjoy. For breakfast, I recommend Van's gluten free waffles with nut butter and jam on top. For lunch, a hearty homemade soup or big salad with a rice cake or “rice snaps” crackers spread with hummos, snack on good quality organic fresh fruit and raw nuts. Perhaps some trail mix with dried fruit. Maybe salmon, chicken, sweet potato (white potato can be inflammatory), brown rice and steamed broccoli for dinner. If you need something sweet later, try one of the soy ice creams. I like the Amy's brand pizza with rice crust and soy cheese. I always add lots of my own vegies on top. Her frozen meals are good, too. Many that have no gluten or dairy in them. Nice to grab on work days.

It takes time to adjust, but I've found that I feel so great eating this kind of food that I'd never go back.

Sierra

Trudi
    Participant

Maybe this artical might help you.Lecithin isinvaluable to our well being http://www.physicalmag.com/index.php?a=64&p=9

Hi Lynne–

Very interesting article!!  My doctor just put me on choline; I was a little distressed when I read Tainabell's egg benefits list with choline being one of them.  I will have to check into the lecithin vs. the chline some more. 

Thank you very much for the heads-up!

Don't be sad! Tis is an opportunity for you to learn about a new way of eating that supports your health. Over time, your tastes will change and you will not want the foods you used to enjoy.

Hi Sierra–

In the doctor's office, I really could have just cried when he mentioned my new diet–just one more thing to deal with.  However, I do believe it will help me.  I know that food is a participant in my joint pain–too many times I've felt worse after eating–just couldn't nail it down tho', which food!!  Thanks for the suggestions!!  I made a Tuna salad with olive oil yesterday for lunch on a bed of salad greens.  It was excellent.  If other foods taste as good, I'll be getting rid of the mayo mindset (in salads) in a real fast hurry.

This support group has DEFINITELY helped me to keep my chin up.  I truly appreciate all the help and advice I get.

Thanks alot,

Trudi

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Trudi;
        It is not the case of lecithin VS. choline  as they work in tandem.I have a feeling that many people who supplement with Vit.D in the form of fish oil are getting more benefit from the lecithin than the Vit.D itself since fish oil is loaded with it.You can find quite a bit of info on this suplement if you google it but make sure to ask for the cientific info or you will get a lot of bs. from vitamin shopps

Trudi
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

I have a feeling that many people who supplement with Vit.D in the form of fish oil are getting more benefit from the lecithin than the Vit.D itself since fish oil is loaded with it.

I should be good then since I take a tablespoon of cod liver oil a day–

Good idea about putting in “scientific” when using search engines.

Trudi

Kim
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

The doctor now wants me to go on an antiinflammatory diet:  no beef, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs :crying:.

That's a lot of elimination all at once, Trudi.  I'm surprised he's not having you do one at a time so you'll know if you have any sensitivities to any particular one.  Pretty much rules out beer and brats and your wonderful Wisconsin cheese. :crying:

You've heard my whining about the gluten-free diet so you have my sympathy.

Hope the sacrifice will make a difference…….kim

tainabell
    Participant

Is there gluten in oatmeal?  If not, I have a great recommendation for a breakfast that is gluten-free, dairy-free, beef-free, and egg-free.  I eat it every day.  It's just quick cooking Quaker Oats cooked in apple juice (as opposed to milk)  with a handful of frozen raspberries thrown in during the last 30 seconds of the microwave cooking.  Then afterwards I sprinkle it liberally with delicious cinammon. 

Cinammon and raspberry also both are supposedly miraculous for health. 

http://www.familynutritiononline.com/Health%20Articles/health_benefits_of_raspberries.htm

Here's a great blurb…”The anthocyanins in Raspberries are very powerful antioxidants that have antimicrobial properties as well, including the ability to prevent overgrowth of certain bacteria and fungi in the body such as Candida.”

We need all the bacteria prevention we can get over here!

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

“In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.”  WOWZA!

Trudi
    Participant

Quaker Oats cooked in apple juice

Hi Tainabell–

I would never have thought to cook my oatmeal (which is allowed) with apple juice; since the beginning of this diet I have been using almond milk.  I'll have to give the apple juice a try :)!! 

Pretty much rules out beer and brats and your wonderful Wisconsin cheese. :crying:

Hope the sacrifice will make a difference…

Hi Kim–

Oh, yeah, this is one new diet for me!!  The good thing, since Tuesday I dropped 2 1/2 pounds.  I must be eating enough because I don't really feel any more hungry.  My daughter and husband discussed the new diet–what they themselves could do without–one said couldn't do without bread, the other couldn't do without cheese; when she heard about the weight loss, it was like, Mmmm, I think we'll incorporate some of your diet into ours.  Looks like I'll have something to eat when we come to visit :).

Time will tell if it makes a difference in the joint pain.  I think it will–

Take care,

Trudi

JBJBJB
    Participant

Trudi,

Could you have rice, chicken, turkey, and seafood? Perhaps you could get yourself a small rice cooker and have some brown rice. I know how hard it is to change everything. When my doctor told me I should go no carb diet. I told him, No way I would do that. I live to eat, not eat to live. :>;)  BAD ATTITUDE!!! :sick:

The cholesterol issue is really new to me. It's interesting. My cholesterol is kind of high. I guess mycoplasma thrives in high cholesterol.

:JB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ New Treatment’ is closed to new replies.