Home Forums General Discussion New Treatment

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Participant

Trudi,

Most oats aren't legal on a GF diet because they are processed in plants that process wheat products.  You may find some GF oats in the health food store, however.

My standard breakfast cereal is Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Farina.  Delicious, tastes like Cream of Wheat, if you like that.  For lunch, I usually load up a corn tortilla with refried beans, then leftovers from the night before.  I have yet to find a bread that I can stand, and I have tried a lot of them.  There are some decent rice crackers that you can spread nut butters on for snacks.  Whenever I cook rice, I'll cook some extra because it's a great filler on so many things.

Bon Appetite………….NOT! :doh:

kim

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Trudi,

several years ago I purchased a book by Dr. James Scala. It's called  “The  New Arthritis Relief Diet”.  I purchased it at a half price book store, then put it away and just found it a week ago. I just now started to read it :roll-laugh::roll-laugh: and it is very interesting and also boring. He mentions various things we should not eat. I have to eat  gluten-free food, so reading this is more insight why we should not eat certain foods.

If you have to change your eating habit because of meats, dairy or other items making you ill or should not be ate because your doctor thinks they are not good for you, then you might get this book. Boring reading material, but interesting to find out how long arthritis etc. has been around.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Trudi
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Bon Appetite………….NOT! :doh:

kim

Hi Kim–

I love it–got such a good laugh out of this!!  I know about the oats thing; I actually tested low-positive a couple of years ago to oats; will probably end up avoiding them also.  I never took the allergy testing all too seriously, but I'm taking a closer look at it now!

My husband loves to grocery shop and came back with all kinds of gluten-free stuff today.  I really shouldn't go hungry :).  He's downstairs frying up some fish right now for supper–super guy.  I am so glad he was so positive about all of this.  My daughter went grocery shopping today and went through the gluten free aisle.   She ran into a woman who was totally up on gluten-free.  Said a store, Woodmans, has great gluten-free foods.  Even donuts.  She told my daughter that only someone who hasn't had one for three years would appreciate this :)!!

No way I would do that. I live to eat, not eat to live. :>;)  BAD ATTITUDE!!! :sick:

JB–

I actually love that attitude–if I didn't think diet had something to it, I wouldn't bother either.  As I mentioned above, I've ignored my food allergy test results long enough–now it's time to take some action.

Yes, I will be eating a lot of rice, chicken, turkey and seafood.  Hope I don't develop an allergy to them.  My naturapath said usually the foods you eat a lot of start to give you problems.  There is something to be said about a rotating diet.

so reading this is more insight why we should not eat certain foods.

Hi Eva–

I'm a big “why” person.  This book sounds like it will answer some questions.  I'm going to check and see if the library has it.  I saw my massage therapist yesterday and she recommended the book “Living Gluten Free for Dummies” one of the authors is Danna Korn.  There are actually 2 “Dummy” books on the subject.  All were checked out and had a hold not only at my library but at the surrounding communities–looks like its in great demand!

Thanks everybody for all of your encouragement and smiles.  It really does my heart good having such a caring support group!!

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

m.
    Participant

Kim
    Participant

[user=732]m.[/user] wrote:

I have yet to find a bread that I can stand, and I have tried a lot of them. 

We like Whole Foods GF Sandwich bread. It's expensive, and Whole Foods is not close for us, but it's a treat for us every once in awhile. It's best toasted, though, as are most GF breads.

Yep, tried that one too, and it was better than most.  I always grade food on if it's worth the calories, and so far no GF bread has made the cut for me. 😛  My daughter just told me about a frozen Glutino bread that I'll try next.  A lot of $6 loaves of bread have gone to feed the birds (some were so bad even the birds wouldn't eat them).  I would rather eat no food than bad food, so for now I just don't eat any bread.

I've found the Pamels's products are good (especially her baking mix ~ makes killer pancakes and waffles) and she has a website loaded with GF recipes.  She also has a newsletter.  Karina's Kitchen is another good site for recipes.

I think the reason I'm such a bad sport about the whole GF thing is that I've come this far and am feeling good and now resent having to spend energy on a new way to eat…………:angry:.

Done whining…….kim

PamelaR
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Hi Trudi;
        It is not the case of lecithin VS. choline  as they work in tandem.I have a feeling that many people who supplement with Vit.D in the form of fish oil are getting more benefit from the lecithin than the Vit.D itself since fish oil is loaded with it.You can find quite a bit of info on this suplement if you google it but make sure to ask for the cientific info or you will get a lot of bs. from vitamin shopps

Fish body oils don't contain D. Just the livers.

The arachidonic acid in egg yolks is what is inflamatory.

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Kim,

I know what you mean about the bread, some of them just got tossed out because they been too  long in the fridge or freezer, after I had a few slices.   🙁 I do like the blueberry muffins and the orange-cranberry scones. I also used to get biscuits but after a year they don't taste like before. I even use the gluten-free pieshells, I can hardly tell the difference.

I have a great recipe for skillet lasagne and use the gluten-free lasagna. My husband actually likes that recipe better with the gluten free noodles than with the regular noodles.

I was tested for celiac but came back negative, but Dr. K. thought it would be good to go gluten-free as much as possible, so using regular bread once in awhile is okay:D

tainabell,

yes there is gluten in oatmeal and barley, and I have this great recipe to make in the slowcooker overnight with apple juice, oatmeal and barley.:?

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Parisa
    Participant

My understanding about oatmeal is that it doesn't have gluten but is often grown or processed with wheat thus cross-contamination is an issue.  I buy McCann's Irish Oatmeal.  Supposedly it is not grown near or processed with wheat.  At one point in our travels through gluten free land, we bought a bag of certified gluten free oatmeal for about $20.  We were desperate and it was a Christmas present.  Well, those oats were horrible.  They tasted green and uncooked???  I eventually heard about the McCanns and they taste wonderful and the price although not as inexpensive as Quakers is definitely more palatable.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

What baffles me is that there still isnt a decent gluten-free (and in my case also dairy-free) bread available in the U.S. In the U.K. and Australia, these breads have evolved and now are on the same shelves as other bread in the supermarkets and are as soft and good tasting. No more having to toast them to make them edible or throw out after 2 days because they've hardened like a rock. Maybe you could write to Whole Foods Market people and ask them to try and source better options. Give them Tescos Free From label as an example in the UK and Country Life Bakery in Australia. Perhaps a little customer pressure is what's required? Lynnie   

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Trudi
    Participant

Thanks everyone for all your good suggestions–I'm busily taking notes here :roll-laugh:!!

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

richie
    Participant

Hi

The folks who are low in cholesterol most likely are the folks who dont eat red meat and are on strict diets —Personally I have been fighting high cholesterol for years –it is controlled with statins –I go off the statins -up goes the cholesterol

richie

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sometimes, but not necessarily, Richie. Some people's own bodies just manufacture too much cholesterol and others the opposite. My cholesterol has always been okay and that way precedes any dietary changes. A natural way to help lower cholesterol is fish oil – it's the EPA in it that helps. And of course, if you have high readings, then diet also. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

richie
    Participant

Hi

I have what is called familial cholesterol  which means I just manufacture too much of it –nothing else works except statins –I make too much cholesterol — also too much collagen but not too much money -:D

richie

Parisa
    Participant

Lynnie,

I wonder what ingredients are in the Country Life or Tescos brand?? I was already eating on the lower carb side before I went gluten free so the transition wasn't too difficult for me.  My son is a teenager with a large appetite and we go through alot of GF breads and it really adds up.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yeah, cant control that familial kind, Richie. I'd take some of your collagen if I could, think I'm a little low on that these days too. 😉 Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ New Treatment’ is closed to new replies.