Home Forums General Discussion music

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

JB recently shared a music video of Pavarotti's last performance, which I can not watch without crying, it is so beautiful. In a recent post I also added a song by Susan Boyle from her new cd, which is wonderful. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we share music that helps us, whether it relaxes, energizes, heals or inspires.
    Here is the link for the Susan Boyle song, 'Born To Be'. The last verse and the chorus are what inspire me, and help me to be ok with where I'm at right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IisoOPoCzLU

With JB's approval I hope, I'm going to also add the link for the Pavarotti video. Just a sec, I have to retrieve it. Here it is, but make sure you've got a tissue! It makes me feel that life is about joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4&feature=fvw

Does anyone have any music that helps them – pop, rock, heavy metal, classical, new age, jazz, whatever gets you thru the day or night? I'm always looking for something new.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

These are both beautiful Linda, thanks for sharing. I love music. When I get home and begin working in the kitchen, my favorite thing to do is crank up the tunes and dance around as I prepare dinner, empty the dishwasher, etc. I am so happy that I can put on my workout clothes and move again. My feet, my knees, my hands and shoulders are all working pretty well these days. I can't listen to music and not move. I know it's a gift that my body can respond. I don't take it for granted anymore.

My husband and I take ballroom dancing lessons every Thursday evening. Lately I've been playing a lot of classic ballroom and swing and tango — and trying to remember the steps as I go about my work. I have a Tony Bennet/kd lang cd that I love. Here's a clip of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQ-6chkmsA

There is so much beautiful music.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

linda
    Participant

Bonnie,Wow, that was wonderful! Tony Bennett always amazes me, his voice has remained strong over the decades and kd lang, well that just goes w/out saying. The trumpet solo was excellent and the video changing from color to black and white was very cool. I'm going to send this to my son, he had a difficult time deciding whether to major in music or math, he plays the trumpet. Thx for sharing this!

If you like music that makes you move, you might like latin jazz or latin acoustic guitar. In the latter I have a favorite artist, his name is Jesse Cook. No lyrics, but that guy can play. Have you heard about the online music station called Pandora? It's free, and you can program your own radio station, or stations. For example, if you wanted a station that played classical music, you could ask for that. Or you can request a certain artist or artists and it will play them artist and songs similar and in the same genre. It learns what you like, kinda like netflix (I love my netflix, btw; I just watched a really great docudrama called The Impressionists, about the French painters who started the Impressionist movement), by your input on the songs, you can click on buttons that express whether or not you want that song and it will not play it anymore. It's has some drawbacks, in that you can only vote to have songs removed a certain number of times each time you log on.

Thx John, I love just about anything on acoustic guitar. Very nice, I'll have to check into Baroque. Is this just a consensus that it is healing or has there been research into certain types of music and healing? That would be an interesting subject.

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hey, linda:

I have it on some authority that baroque is the healing music.  I always liked Chris Parkenings rendition of this Segovia transcription (a very close second to Parkening):

Courante Cello Suite III; YouTube.

Regards,
    John

sjess
    Participant

Hi Linda,

I have found the music of Steven Halpern to be healing. He has a whole bunch of cds available for music healing, relaxation, crystal bowl sounds, chakra balancing, inner peace, sleep, etc. I especially like his Inner Peace cd. I would recommend him.

I LOVE that Susan Boyle song. I am a singer and I just downloaded the accompaniment track so I can sing it too.

I also have this Chinese cd, I'm pretty sure it's on amazon.com, that is for healing headaches. I used to get some pretty intense headaches, I don't know if they qualified as migraines, but this cd works for tension headaches or migraines. You don't want to listen to it if you don't have a headache cuz it will surely give you one, but I would take a pain pill, put a cold washcloth on my face, turn out the lights and listen to this music, sometimes several times, and it really helped ease the pain and upset stomach.

Sharon

Patti D
    Participant

I love this thread!! Thanks Linda.
    I am crazy about music. I listen to it all of the time. I might add like Bonnie Lou you will find me dancing behind(such details) the vaccum cleaner. My kids have alway called me the “happy cleaner”

Yes I know how boring. I like to weed, shovel, vaccum, all of those mundane things that I call mindless. Great stress relievers. I wear my ipod in the garden when I am not concentrating on the beautiful singing of the birds, the best music ever!

And to what kind of music:
    Frank Sinatra _ I'm a hopeless romantic
    Stevie Wonder – Iv'e got his 4 CD collection from 1960-2000.
    Bette Midler- when I am feeling crazy
    Not to toot my horn But I also listen to classical, jazz,show tunes and just about anything other than rap. Just can't get that one.

Happy dancing or toe tapping at least!
    patti

linda
    Participant

That's so funny Patti, my kids have memories of having to help me clean on Sat mornings, accompanied by Kenny Loggins, Supertramp, Phil Collins and other very annoying music. I don't think I know how to clean without music. I have not tried Bette Midler yet, tho!

Sharon, my D.O. who used acupuncture had cd players in the treatment rooms, and he had several cd's with that eastern music influence. It's so relaxing and haunting. My son Jared has been dating a wonderful girl for 2 yrs who is from India, she is compiling a cd set for him of classical Indian music. I can't wait to hear it.

Jared also has recently found 'Impressionistic” music. In the same way Impressionistic paintings are more about conveying a feeling than a picture, this music strives to convey the feeling or experience of the composer, i.e. water music. I just listened to one while I was chatting with him on fb, I'll try and find the link. the composer is named DeBussey, I think. Ok, .I found it, it's called Refections in the Water.

Patti D
    Participant

I like Debussey.
    When I was in Cambodia 4 years ago I bought the most fantastic music that was chinese influenece with instruments only found in that area, Also very relaxing and meditative.
    I usually get music as a souvenir and try to get music that the people who live in the area listen too.

We bought and listened to Dances with Wolves as we took a road trip through the Grand Circle in Utah and Monument Valley. It was awesome.

Oh yeah, What is wrong with Kenny Loggins???? I just went to a concert in Chicago where Crosby Loggins was the opener. Yep its Kennys son and if you closed your eyes you would swear it was Kenny.

Music is a universal language for sure and a definite part of healing at least for me.

Patti

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

We bought and listened to Dances with Wolves as we took a road trip through the Grand Circle in Utah and Monument Valley. It was awesome

Patti – did a similar thing many years ago travelling across Europe in an old London taxi, different music for different landscapes and it was wonderful. And BTW saw Bette Midler many years ago in Sydney and again in Las Vegas when I did my U.S. trip in late 08. The insane Dolores del Rio lives still!!!Great show!

Bonnielou – I saw Tony Bennett and KD Lang at the Sydney Opera House about 4 years ago – magical night.

Linda – I agree, great thread. So many I could post. Here's a favourite: Sarah McLaughlin In the Arms of The Angel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbkz_3lO3c

Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Patti D
    Participant

Lynnie,
    I saw the famous Ms M. as well and totally loved her show! Sounds like we do the same type of road trips. Love the idea of an old english cab. How fun would that be!!!

I love Sarah McLaughlin and that song happens to be one of my favorites.

I saw Frank Sinatra many years ago in concert and think I would put Tony Bennett on my bucket list as well. There are certain artists that you just have to see. I think the arts as a whole have tremendous healing effects.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Patti – I certainly felt transported last year when I saw Leonard Cohen on stage. And to think that this would not have taken place at all had his financial adviser not run off with his money! In fact, I so love this line from his poem Anthem, I use it under my signature. Lynnie
    there is a crack in everything
    that's how the light gets in

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

JB recently shared a music video of Pavarotti's last performance,

Oh Linda, you are so sweet!!! Yes, music heals.

VINCERO means “I will win!!!”

Each time when I felt I could not pull things through, Pavarotti's voice really pumped me up! His voice is so powerful.

We will win over this dreadful disease!!!

VINCERO! VINCERO!! VINCERO!!!

When you are sad, watch this! It will bright your moment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk

:JB:roll-laugh:

judy cash
    Participant

Ladies,

Thanks so much for these postings, I've enjoyed them so much that I forgot that I was on the Road Back site. I kept listening to other songs too, I really got carried away. And the Baby, had me rolling in the floor with laughter.  I should go now and get some work done…..or not…..LOL.

Later,

Judy

linda
    Participant

Yeah, I love the baby, too. It has been fun listening to all of these different kinds of music. Thx everyone for your contributions.

Wow, I actually used the correct form of 'your'. Lately I've been mixing the two forms up, as well as there and their, and writing 'are' instead of 'our'. I've always prided myself on spelling, altho not necessarily grammer, but I'm kinda worried. I know it's fibrofog, but it seems to be getting worse.

My new avatar reflects my current level of concentration.:P

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1504]judy cash[/user] wrote:

And the Baby, had me rolling in the floor with laughter. 
    Judy

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:  Yeah, I love the baby, too.

Isn't he adorable? He makes my day each time I watch him. I wish I could purchase the video.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ music’ is closed to new replies.