Home Forums General Discussion minocin side effects

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    kittrasis
    Participant

I prepared a case to present to my rheumatologist.  He actually jumped back when I tried to hand him the few pages I had printed and highlighted.  I finally got him to agree to access and read the Lancet article.  We'll see what he says but I don't have much hope for treatment from this HMO Doc.

I read of many potentially horrible side effects of minocin treatment on a pharma site.  I haven't heard anyone on this site mention anything but thrush as a side effect.  Has anyone had bad side effects, i.e. thyroid, tumors, etc.?

I contacted a local doctor who was recommended on-site but I was told that the first visit costs between $3,000 and $4,000.  I'm really not in a position to pay that amount just for an evaluation when I already know that I have localized Scleroderma.  I'm thinking of trying the pulsed method of using Minocin (100 mg.) on my own but the list of side effects has me frightened.  Has anyone had any serious side effects?

John McDonald
    Participant

I find Minocin to be an amazingly benign medicine. I wonder what the list of side-effects would be for water or olive oil?

I do get herxing from Minocin, though now that my disease is mostly gone so is the herxing. Would that be a side effect? I wouldn't worry about side-effects, espcially if you have any interest in dosing on alternate days.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

All four of my family members have taken Minocin.  Jess for Scleroderma, myself for Fibro, Claire for Acne, and my husband for sinus issues.  I was the only one with any kind of side effect.  I got the common “dizzy headed feeling” that some people get.  All of the others had absolutely no side effects.  Jess got better, it didn't help Claire's acne one bit (so she did acutane), and it had a small impact on hubby's sinus issues.  No dreadful side effect for any of us.

Cheryl

Dena
    Participant

I have had only one bad side effect: vaginal yeast infection.  I took care of that problem with taking Spectrabiotic (lots of good bacteria) on days I don't take minocycline.  No other side effects except for great improvement: C-reactive protein back to normal and greatly reduced RH factor (except recently, but the culprit appears to have been Boniva/Fosamax).  I can't think of anything less harmful to take than minocycline.  Go for it!

Cubby
    Participant

I have been on Minocin, 100 mg 2 x per day since Octobr 2005.   I have no side effects that I am aware of and I have all my blood work done monthly.    No sickness, no internal bleeding, nothing.

Cubby
    Participant

JOHN:   I am in San Clemente.  If you ever get South, send me an e-mail so we can get together for coffee or something.  cubbymikey@aol.com

kittrasis
    Participant

Thanks for your response.  Interesting point about the effects of water or oil.  Honestly, the pharma site was terrifying.  I'll see what happens next month with the doctor.  Hopefully, he will help me try the medication.  If not, I'll try it on my own.

kittrasis
    Participant

Thanks for the information.  I'll see the doc next month and if he won't help me I believe I'll try it on my own.

kittrasis
    Participant

I didn't test positive for RH factor and CRP was normal.  I've had localized scleroderma for a very, very long time but it is still active, particularly on my face.  I don't know what other blood tests I could take to prove that I have scleroderma.  Another rhumy diagnosed it immediately upon seeing it.  If you have any suggestions re blood tests please post them.  Thanks so much for you response on Minocin side effects.  It was very encouraging.

Nico
    Participant

I have been on Minocin for 1 week and have been a litlle dizzy or light headed, does this eventually go away ?  and if so when ?

I'm a blonde so my husband said that I come by it naturally.  LOL

Nico

John McDonald
    Participant

Doc started me on Doxy, 100mg twice daily. After about two weeks it was giving me brain fog. Doc said to drink more water and the brain fog got much, much better. She said the doxy can dehydrate and that dry brains don't work as well as wetware.  Not long after I switched without doc's prior permission to 200mg on alternate days only and then even the little side effects that there were became much more tolerable. At my next appointment doc agreed to the change.

-john

Nico
    Participant

So is the Doxy, different than the Minocin ? Im taking 100 mg. twice @ day, Ill try more water, and see if that helps ?

Nico

John McDonald
    Participant

Doc wouldn't give me Minocycline at the time because she had heartburn about the high price compared to Doxycycline. Later when she saw how well AP was working for me she began agreeing to anything I wanted to try, including the MP meds.  Tetracycline was the first generation version. It opened a marvelous market for treating teenage acne, but tetracycline does poorly when taken with food and that is bad for teenagers. So they developed the 2nd generation doxycycline which tolerates dosing with food much better, and it is a more effective antibiotic. Minocycline is the 3rd generation in the tetracycline family and it is better in nearly every respect; better tissue penetration, much more lethal to microbes, and fewer side-effects.

Sierra
    Participant

Yes, it goes away. It doesn't take long. For me it was about a week.

Sierra

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=124]kittrasis[/user] wrote:

If you have any suggestions re blood tests please post them.  Thanks so much for you response on Minocin side effects. 

Hi Kittrais,

I actually have RA, so the other scleroderma patients here may have some suggestions for tests to have done for your scleroderma, however the main RBF website has a pretty comprehensive list of tests it suggests be done. You'll find these under the Education tab, by clicking on the Physician's Packet…and then on Historical Protocol. Right at the bottom, in Appendix B are the list of suggested lab tests. Here's the direct link:

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Appendix-7638

I've been on antibiotic therapy for 21 months now, but just started minocin in Dec. I had some initial dizziness on daily dosing and some difficult herxes to navigate, but after lowering the dose to M, W, F 100mg twice a day, it was much better and improvement has been in a consistant pattern of three steps fwd and two steps back all the way. Not sure how Vit C is on the stomach of a scleroderma patient, but it's suggested that one takes at least 1000mg a day (preferably combined with rosehip to act as a stomach buffer), as it is thought to prevent the possibility of hyperpigmentation from mino. Other than this…no other side-effects for me apart from the initial dizziness.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘ minocin side effects’ is closed to new replies.