Home Forums General Discussion Minocin side affects

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

Hi every one.

Has any one developed anxiety or panic on there Minocin days? I have been on a maintenance dose for many years now but have found in the last few that I some times am agitated and will actually panic some times. By the way I use large doses of Calcium and Lemon Balm tea for the panic.

Davit.

sierrra
    Participant

No, I haven't heard of that.  I can't think of any physical reason for that happening. Perhaps there's a worry that it won't work? I have had much anxiety over various meds over the years…mostly over side effects.

Sierra

P.S. I'm three years into it and it's working great for me.

sierrra
    Participant

Oops, sorry, I didn't read carefully. If you're on a maintenance dose, you've been on it awhile. I'm tired from work…

S.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Davit – have never heard of this. BTW, I'm sure you know to take the calcium well away from the mino. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Davit
    Participant

Sierrra.

Fatigue is a side effect of Arthritis, actually the first!

Lynnie.

Yes! well away, also at least 2 hours from food also. I use Lederle's Minocin,not generic,because it opens in the intestine, not the stomach. I have no stomach trouble from it or the Nsaids. I also use Misoprostal. (Citotech?).

Oh. yes I have been on Minocin for over 10 years. But it didn't keep me from wearing out my knees or falling off tractors and breaking legs and getting staph infection.

Davit

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Davit, you have been on minocin for quite a long time – 10 years I believe – and seem to be very au fait with the protocols, no wonder. Just curious – do you consult with an AP doc or are you managing with a family doctor or similar? And am also wondering whether you rotated your abx at any time after the 5th year, per Dr Brown's protocol ? Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Davit
    Participant

Lynnie.

I don't know about rotating, I'll have to look it up. I used to flog the protocol pretty heavy, but most people want the quick fix like MTX or some other Dmard, which we know doesn't work in the long run. I have even had a friend switch to Colloidal Silver and now she is dying from it, damaged internal organs and permanent gray skin. All because her doctor thought more was better and the minocin at high dose made her sick. There are no AP doctors here in NW B.C. Canada. My GP. fills the prescription and does the tests. I have had staph infection twice which called fore stopping the Minocin and doing massive doses of Cloxacilin by IV 6 times a day. I end up very crippled and have some damage, but after 2 weeks of Minocin 50 Mg pulse I am back to normal except for the damage from the Staph infection.

Davit

anno
    Participant

Davit,  I wonder if you take a probiotic, if so whether it is a good one. It really is important to take it every day.

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

Hi every one.

Has any one developed anxiety or panic on there Minocin days? I have been on a maintenance dose for many years now but have found in the last few that I some times am agitated and will actually panic some times. By the way I use large doses of Calcium and Lemon Balm tea for the panic.

Davit.

Seems to be happening here these panic attacks as part of rheumatic disease, my guess is you may need to take more than a maintenance dose, thats what it sounds like to me.  Some of us have to take it daily.  I would ask your Dr. if you could up the dose once a week and see if that stops it then you will know for sure.  Taking it daily has bever been a problem for me for years. Maintenance dose is not always enough for some. I would recommend a systemic antifungal as well.

Davit
    Participant

Rosemary.

No can do. Because it's not generic any thing more than what I do and I don't get out of bed. I have friends on once a day and they use more also but it's generic Minocyclin. Only the Minocin gives me anxiety, no other antibiotic. I have free range with my Doc. He lets me do as I please. Not always a good thing but I know how to read the tests and I know more about AP than him. he would still like me to let some Rheumatolagist put me on MTX. I will die before I will do MTX (Methotrexate) again. I have lots of damage from it.

Davit.

Davit
    Participant

Anno.

Yes I take A chewable probiotic It works better than the capsules. Flora,udos choice. Also take Organicas Vital 3, Omega 3 6 9. With out a probiotic I get Candida in lungs also. Signs of Candida in men are. A cough, fatigue and a craving for sugars and alcohol. There are other signs but if you get that bad you will need an antifungal and this is bad cause they don't go with some meds. Which brings me to ” how many of you know about the P450 enzime in your liver” It removes most medications and can get over loaded if you don't spread them out, taking all your meds at once can cause some not to work or some to stay in your system too long causing toxic over load. Be informed there is no law against it. Sorry I'm preaching here.

Davit

Maz
    Keymaster

There are other signs but if you get that bad you will need an antifungal and this is bad cause they don't go with some meds. Which brings me to ” how many of you know about the P450 enzime in your liver” It removes most medications and can get over loaded if you don't spread them out, taking all your meds at once can cause some not to work or some to stay in your system too long causing toxic over load. Be informed there is no law against it. Sorry I'm preaching here.

Hi Davit,

This is important information and thanks for sharing it. I became aware of the properties of Diflucan (fluconazole) when usin gthe Shardt Protocol for Lyme. While on this protocol, my LLMD did not want me on any antibiotics and I had to take it alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15337633?dopt=Abstract

The sytemic antifungal, Diflucan, does disable the P450 cytochrome in the liver, which is why it can be hard on the liver, as you mentioned.

Some folk here will pulse in diflucan on an intermittant basis, so this is probably not as harmful as one who may be on it daily, however, as I was, using daily dosing.

I was going to suggest candida as being a possible cause of anxiety, but seems you are already well-versed in all things candida, so this is probably moot.  I have not heard of mino causing anxiety per say, but each person is unique and, if you are not experiencing this symptom on other antibiotics, then it may be time to switch up protocols. Another possibility that came to mind is untreated babesia. Have you ever been tested for it or considered Lyme as a possibility? Sometimes people who have been on AP for some years will find other untreated, opportunistic pathogens rise to the surface to have their day in the sun. This was the case for a lady I know in MA who was on AP for many years and later discovered she had babesia. There are lots of articles on this out there… here is a quick one I found:

http://www.content4reprint.com/health/diseases-and-conditions/babesia-rare-disease-not-so-rare.htm

Peace, Maz

PS Another thought…have you been tested for B12? I believe a deficiency can also result in anxiety. Interestingly, babesia is a protozoan infection of red blood cells and can cause anemia….lack of B12 can also cause pernicious anemia….so interesting that both these things affect RBCs and can also cause anxiety.

Davit
    Participant

Hi Maz

Thanks for the info. I have a few of the symptoms but not many. Can't say about the spleen I don't have one. No fever no migraines etc. which doesn't mean any thing, I live in deer country. I have had ticks on me but never bit.

I notice people asking for help leave out a lot of information, like age, other diseases, like diabetes and heart problems, which are quite common with RA.
    And of course medication. I know at least one person doing both MTX and Minocycline, and going down hill. Also prednesone is an immune suppressant and should not exceed 20 mg a day except for occasional flares. So people don't be shy bare it all there is no such thing as too much information.

Davit

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi Davit,

I know it sounds counterintuitive, given what you've said, but could the calcium tea be the cause of the panic attacks?

I say this because magnesium (needed by the body to counterbalance calcium) has a calming, soothing effect on the muscles of the body and also on the central nervous system. It is what allows the heart muscle to relax after calcium makes it contract.

Without enough magnesium to balance out the calcium you could be making yourself more prone to muscle cramps and even heart attacks. See http://www.mgwater.com/ for lots of information about magnesium and calcium.

I just wonder whether too much calcium could eventually make you feel a bit jittery – the opposite of how magnesium supplements make me feel. When I feel a bit anxious, I make a hot drink with magnesium citrate in it called natural calm, or rub on some magnesium oil. It works within seconds!

Anyway, maybe your tea also has magnesium in it and this is way off track, but just a thought!

PhilC
    Participant

Has any one developed anxiety or panic on there Minocin days? I have been on a maintenance dose for many years now but have found in the last few that I some times am agitated and will actually panic some times.

A quick Google search revealed that anxiety is one of the side effects of minocycline. Maybe it's time for you to give doxycycline a try. Or maybe a lower dose of Minocin? How much Minocin are you taking now?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ Minocin side affects’ is closed to new replies.