Home Forums General Discussion Magnesium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

I have just come from the doctors because my legs go to sleep. It is rather un nerving. They work but barely because they are asleep. He can't find a reason so I'm doing a whole bunch of tests. The only change I have done is start Magnesium because I take a lot of calcium. He thinks I take too much Magnesium. 300 mg. And I keep falling asleep. I fell asleep in the waiting room. I'm having a hard time staying awake right now. I had a hot choc in town so I could stay awake long enough to drive home. 20 minutes only.

Davit

mschmidt
    Participant

Davit,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.  How long have you been on the Atenolol, and have you increased your dosage at all? Have you been checked for hypoglycemia? When's the last time you had your thyroid checked? When are you taking your magnesium? Sorry for all the questions!

Davit
    Participant

Questions are Ok.

I have glucose monitor and BP monitor. Both are in acceptable range. The only thing different is Magnesium and I should have the results tomorrow. Magnesium was three times a day at 100 mg for a total of 300 mg. Doc said to reduce it to 50 mg. Am taking lasex now. Very sleepy. Very stressed.
    All other electrolytes are normal. Kidney function slightly now for the first time. WBC normal,

Davit.

mschmidt
    Participant

I asked about the Magnesium because my LLMD gave me a magnesium blend to help me with my insomnia, and told me to take it before bedtime.  It's 110mg, and makes me relaxed and sleepy. (I was deficient in it, obviously) Maybe decreasing the dose, and taking it at night instead of throughout the day would help.

I was on Atenolol as a kid (as well as other beta blockers) for tachycardia, and I remember it making me very tired all the time, hypoglycemic, and decreased my already low blood pressure.  Since your symptoms just started, I doubt the med is doing it.  A common side effect from Atenolol is pins and needle sensations in the legs/arms, and I remember that coming on for me years into taking the meds. 

Perhaps you're coming down with something, and your body is trying to fight it?  Whatever the reason, I hope it resolves itself soon.  Please keep us posted on your tests tomorrow.  Sending you good wishes:)

Maria

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Maria – magnesium deficiency is apparently very prevalent in Lyme manifestations. Here's an exctract from Burrascano Treatment Guidelines:

[align=left](page 6) Magnesium <span style="font-size:2]deficiency is very often present and quite severe. Hyperreflexia, muscle twitches, myocardial irritability, poor stamina and recurrent tight muscle spasms are clues to this deficiency. Magnesium is predominantly an intracellular ion, so blood level testing is of little value. Oral preparations are acceptable for maintenance, but those with severe deficiencies need additional, parenteral dosing%;”>[/size][/align]

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

As I have posted before, I have also gained alot of benefit (severe muscle ache relief and much better sleep) from topically applied magnesium cream, applied at night, in addition to oral. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

mschmidt
    Participant

Lynnie,

Yes it certainly is, and I'm glad I started taking it last year because it's made a huge difference in how I feel.  😀

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1539]Davit[/user] wrote:

I fell asleep in the waiting room.

Although this isn't a laughing matter, I did chuckle when I read the above because I thought of my husband.  He can fall asleep whenever and wherever–including the dentist's chair and doctor's waiting room.

I do hope you get to the bottom of this.  Take care of yourself–you're in my prayers,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Davit
    Participant

Maria

I remember when I first started Atenolol I hated it because it caused so much fatigue I could barely hill a row of potatoes. If I took an ativan on top of it I could work for hours and since I was already addicted I did. I had forgot about that. I don't and won't use Ativan again. But I do have some valium. DR. Brown mentioned that people taking AP for RA seldom get sick and I am one of those people. All I ever get is Stalph. My cultures are neg. and my WBC is normal. But who knows. Cut prednesone by 1 mg and I can feel it.

I'm not getting pins and needles. The legs go to sleep a couple of hours after I wake up. I had both feet asleep from a pinched nerve in my back But the Doc sort of ruled that out but I haven't. MD not Rheumy. I don't like our Rheumies.
    They keep quacking MTX.

No fever either but some anxiety nausea. Asked about Lyme. thought it would be a good time to ask. No symptoms. He knows of only one case in BC and it was imported from the states. He says we don't have the right kind of ticks here. We don't seem to have any ticks here.

Maz
    Keymaster

I have just come from the doctors because my legs go to sleep. It is rather un nerving. They work but barely because they are asleep. He can't find a reason so I'm doing a whole bunch of tests. The only change I have done is start Magnesium because I take a lot of calcium. He thinks I take too much Magnesium. 300 mg. And I keep falling asleep. I fell asleep in the waiting room. I'm having a hard time staying awake right now.

Hi Davit,

Usually, excessive magnesium will cause loose stools. This is a good gauge of determining dosage…basically taking it to bowel tolerance, because the body normally disposes of what it doesn't need. Here is an informative link from the NIH about magnesium and, for an adult male, the daily recommended requirement is 420mg (some of which comes from diet, but depletions are common with antibiotic use and also infections). That said, maybe the only way to know if it's magnesium causing your probs is to stop taking it and see how you feel.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

In addition to all the great suggestions and info offered by everyone, you mentioned having a normal complete blood count. Did that include a measure of hemaglobin?

Also just quickly checked effects of Lasix (Furosemide), your diuretic, which have to wonder if it may be having some effect on your kidney function. You didn't mention how long you've been on this drug, but it's interesting that this drug can cause hypomagnesemia (low levels of magnesium):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furosemide

“Prolonged use can cause significant hypomagnesemia in some patients. Since Ca2+ is actively reabsorbed in the distal convoluted tubule, loop diuretics do not generally cause hypocalcemia.”

In the first line above in the Wiki link, it says, “Along with some other diuretics, furosemide is also included on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned drug list due to its alleged use as a masking agent for other drugs.” What the heck that means, I don't know, except maybe it means it masks illegal drugs on drug testing? Still, think I'd want to clarify the meaning of this with my doc. 😉

Last thoughts…is it possible you have some passing viral infection? Staph making a comeback?

Would also suggest checking out Seas recent posts…she also lives in BC and mentions finding a number of ticks she found embedded in her scalp. Most docs, unless Lyme Literate, are completely ignorant of the true extent of Lyme, unfortunately.

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3812&forum_id=1&jump_to=35216#p35216

Sort of a mish-mash of stuff here, but just wondered if there may be something that resonates that you could ask your doc. I know when I don't feel well, it's hard to even think. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon, Davit.

Peace, Maz

Davit
    Participant

Been anemic for six months, not that.

Better on reduced Magnesium.

Tomorrow will tell. It better be better I have to go to town and don't want to fall asleep.

She lives on Vancouver Island which might as well be another country. Victoria is farther south than parts of the states. It must be 7 or 8 hundred miles and a strait away from me.
    People here were practically living in environmental suits for West Nile till they found we don't have the right kind of mosquito here.
    No cases of West Nile here either. Lots of mosquitoes some years. Mosquitoes are picky what form of pollen they eat. Ours eat pine pollen mostly and since losing almost all our pine we have few mosquitoes. Don't tell me mosquitoes only eat people. Humming birds eat mosquitoes also but most people don't know that either. If song birds will eat suet why won't they eat bugs. Bird feeders are just more convenient.

Davit.

casey
    Participant

Trudi wrote:

“Although this isn't a laughing matter, I did chuckle when I read the above because I thought of my husband.  He can fall asleep whenever and wherever–including the dentist's chair and doctor's waiting room.”

Your right Trudi, this isnt funny but i have to add your post. My hubby can sleep anywhere as well. He got up one night at 2 am to pee ( he sits on the toilet, never stands). He was sound asleep still sitting there at 4:30 am. I still cant figure out how one can do that. I cant sleep anywhere comfortably unless its my own bed, no lights , no sound , pillows and blankeys need to be just so… etc etc!!

Funny how everyone is so different.

Casey

Davit
    Participant

Casey

It is funny. All life is funny and one should not be afraid to laugh at oneself or ones own. After 2 1/2 hours did you have to pry the seat off.

When I am tired I can sleep anywhere. Not always without pain after though. I think the only place I haven't fallen asleep is in the shower but there is a first for everything.

I'm doing better off the Magnesium, see how the test went today.

Davit.

mschmidt
    Participant

I have to chime in here because I just giggled when I read Trudi and Casey's post.  My husband falls asleep easily as well—and tends to fall asleep on the toilet, too.  I have pictures to prove it but, I won't post them because they're not pretty:roll-laugh:

I don't know how they can fall asleep like that because I would tip over!!

Thanks for the laughs!

Maria

Maz
    Keymaster

Been anemic for six months, not that.

Davit, what does your doc say about this? Have you been checked for possible stomach ulcers? You mentioned very thin skin the other day from longterm pred use and this might be worth checking into, if not. I remember you mentioning the anemia a while back and also wondered if you ever got tested for B12 deficiency? Anemia could also be causing or making worse these types of symptoms. 

Just trying to think of ideas for you…

Peace, Maz

PS Just for interest's sake, if you get a chance to watch the movie documentary Under Our Skin, there is a park ranger who talks about the spread of Lyme and why it is appearing in places it was never seen before. Man and development are pushing naturally occuring ecosystems further and further outwards and animal behaviors are changing as a result, upsetting the balance, and exposing us all to things we were never exposed to before.

Davit
    Participant

Maria.

Could it be cause your top heavy. Men and women are built different. Men are bottom heavy, at least they tell you they are.

I am so glad to know I can do something my women friends can't even if I can't show it off. It is a skill that takes lots of practice. Not just anyone can do this you know.

Have a nice day everyone.
    Davit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ Magnesium’ is closed to new replies.