Home Forums General Discussion IV Clindamycin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    nspiker
    Participant

I am on seven days of IV clindamycin, 1200 mg., every four weeks.  Today, I am five days into my IV treatment, and am beginning to feel like a half-way normal person again.  This will only last for about a week.  Has anyone ever done more IV clindamycin than one week monthly, and if not, why not?  Do any of you have this same positive reaction to the clindamycin, and then taper off again?

I have been on minocin for eight months now, and felt no improvement.  When I was on ceftin, there was definite improvement, but only to a certain point.  I have been taking zithromax, and feel no difference.  The one antibiotic that I can feel a definite positive result from, is clindamycin. 

I don't know what the clindamycin is targeting; could be babesia, toxoplasmosis, or mycoplasma hominis, or it could be all three.  For those of you with lyme experience, can clindamycin be given for long periods of time?  (Maybe I need to post this on lymenet)  I remember Dr. Harris of Igenex commenting to me that he took 1200 mg. clindamycin orally, for nine months straight for an infection from a tooth implant.

Please Santa, all I want for Christmas is more IV clindamycin…..

Randy
    Participant

I don't have any experience with AP for ReA, but by chance, are you on any DMARDS or Prednisone?

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Randy, no, I'm not on any DMARDS or prednisone, just Aleve or Naproxen, and most of the time Aleve is more effective.

nancy

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi Nancy

When I was on the IVs after the initial and usual build up 300mg 600mg 900mg, it was every fortnight for as long as it took. Some of the patients had been going fortnightly for 5 years and more.  I myself had 10 Ivs then I became alergic, not a common thing I think.  I just have the minos and prednisolone and just started Plaquinil and hope to wean off the preds soon.

The AP doc here in the UK gives 900mg as the full and continual dose.

Hope this helps!

Rosemary

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] wrote:

I don't know what the clindamycin is targeting; could be babesia, toxoplasmosis, or mycoplasma hominis, or it could be all three.  For those of you with lyme experience, can clindamycin be given for long periods of time?  (Maybe I need to post this on lymenet)  I remember Dr. Harris of Igenex commenting to me that he took 1200 mg. clindamycin orally, for nine months straight for an infection from a tooth implant.

Sorry I'm not Santa :roll-laugh:, Nancy, but thought you might like to read Adrienne Purcell's RA remission story from the Winter 09 eBulletin. She went to see Dr. Brown many years ago for her longstanding RA and has been on monthly IV clindy infusions since.

https://www.roadback.org/emailblasts/ebulletin_winter09.html

The usual preferred IV antibiotic for Lyme is Rocephin (aka Ceftriaxone), but there are some LLMDs using IV clindy now, including Dr J in SC (soon to move to Wash. DC).

http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/lyme_detail.php?sid=11

The usual approach is to have a chest or upper arm port inserted (bears some risk of serious infection and blood clots) into a major blood vessel and the IVs are continued for months at a time with portable pumps, so patients can go about their daily activities. I don't know the exact amounts used, but your LLMD would know. In all truth, unless someone is extremely ill and it's a “do or die” situation, I'd personally avoid longterm IVs and stick with the monthly, short burst infusions. That said, LLMDs don't like the short-burst IV approach and my doc felt it was more immunosuppressive in Lyme treatments than anything (but he also prefers orals over IVs and feels they are just as effective). Oral clindy on a longterm basis bears its own risks to the gut, because it's very harsh on the gut. An intermittant pulse protocol might not be so bad, once a week, but daily would be taking a huge risk, I think. Was Dr H taking 1200mg oral clindy daily or once a week?

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

People with SD are taking a big chance with ports because of the scarring, something that needs to be factored in with your decision.

Take care…..kim

nspiker
    Participant

Maz, you really are Santa to many of us….

Was Dr H taking 1200mg oral clindy daily or once a week?

When I spoke with Dr. H., he told me he was on 1200mg/day for nine months, and never had any problems.  I asked if he was treating lyme. 

An intermittant pulse protocol might not be so bad, once a week, but daily would be taking a huge risk, I think.

I'm going to ask to extend the clindamycin, and see what makes sense.  I would love every other week, although I don't know if my veins can handle it.

nancy

Maz
    Keymaster

Maz, you really are Santa to many of us….

:roll-laugh: Ah, well, when I look down at my big ol' blubbery belly these days, I sometimes wonder if I'm somehow got some Santa genes, I gotta admit.:roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi Maz

you have a lovely Christmas and the best health and happiness for the New Year 2010

love to you and endless thankyous

Rosemary xxx PS and your family xxx

R

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=115]Rosey UK[/user] wrote:

you have a lovely Christmas and the best health and happiness for the New Year 2010

love to you and endless thankyous

Rosemary xxx PS and your family xxx

Rosemary, I'm so touched by your wishes – so kind of you. Thank you so much! 😀 I wish the same for you and yours…much HEALTH and HAPPINESS for this coming year and beyond!

Peace and Christmas blessings!

Maz xo

I am on seven days of IV clindamycin, 1200 mg., every four weeks.  Today, I am five days into my IV treatment, and am beginning to feel like a half-way normal person again.  This will only last for about a week.  Has anyone ever done more IV clindamycin than one week monthly, and if not, why not?  Do any of you have this same positive reaction to the clindamycin, and then taper off again?

I have been on minocin for eight months now, and felt no improvement.  When I was on ceftin, there was definite improvement, but only to a certain point.  I have been taking zithromax, and feel no difference.  The one antibiotic that I can feel a definite positive result from, is clindamycin. 

I had it for two years then decided to go the intra muscular with lincomycin which is similar sister drug I think,  here and injected it myself.  Reason being the Lincocin was on the PBS Health fund and the Clindamycin was not and it was costing me a fortune. Did that for another 3 yrs and can honestly say I felt the best if have ever felt on those two. Was still taking the doxy though and a cephalosporin. Think it gets those opportunistic infections also. Just thought I would let you know.  Dr. also when on the clinda. changed from the build up strong dose changed to just two weekly with 300mg. and I found that much better and not so strong. Hope some of this info helps

nspiker
    Participant

Maz wrote:

Ah, well, when I look down at my big ol' blubbery belly these days, I sometimes wonder if I'm somehow got some Santa genes, I gotta admit.:roll-laugh:

Ho, ho ho, you too…?  When I read posts about people trying to gain weight, I wonder why I got the, “let's eat while I'm sick, and not working out gene.”

Rosemary wrote: 

I had it for two years then decided to go the intra muscular with lincomycin which is similar sister drug I think, here and injected it myself. Reason being the Lincocin was on the PBS Health fund and the Clindamycin was not and it was costing me a fortune. Did that for another 3 yrs and can honestly say I felt the best if have ever felt on those two. Was still taking the doxy though and a cephalosporin. Think it gets those opportunistic infections also. Just thought I would let you know. Dr. also when on the clinda. changed from the build up strong dose changed to just two weekly with 300mg. and I found that much better and not so strong. Hope some of this info helps

Rosemary, let me make sure I understand.  Did you take clindamycin IV's every day for two years or 300 mg., twice a week?  I hadn't thought about intramuscular injections, but that is another option.  Just so happens I saw my doctor today, and asked about uping the clindamycin.  He wants me to try and take it orally, starting with 300mg. daily, and increasing to 600mg. a day.  I've had a problem taking it orally before, but he insits that if I take it with his probiotic, Metagenics Ultra Flora, I should be ok.  I love that clindamycin so much, I'm willing to give it a try.  If this doesn't work, I think he'd be willing to give more IV's a try.  He even talked about a PIC line (another thing to scare me).

So, I guess maybe there is a Santa after all…..

nancy

Roz
    Participant

Hi To All,

I had to have alot of IV's because my vitals were not stable. Like for instance when laying down my pulse was in the 130's.

Most here seem to do very well with tablets only. I only wished that would of been the case for me.

My vitals were not stable. Most of the IV treatments I had was from main stream medicine. The only IV I had from my LLMD was Rocephin, with a postive lyme test.

She gives very few IV's to patients, I was just really bad.

Maz, you are right a picc and central line is very dangerious. I had home health care with Rocephin. My skin was way to fragile as well for a picc etc.. I don't know what the right medical term it is called, but I had a old fashion stick method done.

Do you know what it's called?

Hugs, Roz

nspiker
    Participant

Hi Elaine,

Did you determine that your son had lyme?  I hope he is at school and feeling better. 

If your son is going to treat babesia with clindy, my guess is that he will also take quinine.  That was my thought too; to treat babesia with clindy and quinine.  I am holding a prescription for tindamax and zithromax, just because I would rather have the clindamycin combination, since I know it works.

nancy

Parisa
    Participant

Nancy,

My husband did several months of IV clindamycin.  He did the IV twice a day  (I don't remember the dosage)  and combined it with oral qualaquine as the final death knell to his babesia. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ IV Clindamycin’ is closed to new replies.