Home Forums General Discussion IV Clindamycin

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    lynnie_sydney
    Participant

<span style="color: #000000]

Has anyone done the liver enzyme test to see if they are lacking any of the enzymes that help breakdown abx? If so what is the name of it? I think my son may have this problem.[/color”>

Elaine, the main liver enzyme is ALT – that is solely related to liver function. All others have relevance to the liver and other parts of the body. This link takes you to a site with a good explanation of Liver Function Tests: http://www.mydr.com.au/tests-investigations/liver-function-testing 

Sometimes, other things we take can compete for a specific enzyme, preventing normal breakdown. Alot of people take Milk Thistle to support liver function and/or     N-AC which is a precursor to glutathione, said to be the body's most important antioxidant and detoxifying agent. Here's a link re glutathione. Lynnie http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/glutathione     

[/color]

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

nspiker
    Participant

Elaine wrote:

Thank you for the kind words. My son finished the term with all A's.:roll-laugh: He is such a trooper

What an amazing kid you must have.  For him to be dealing with being sick, and being away at school…then finishing with all A's.  You must be so proud of him!  I hope he continues to feel better.  Makes me feel like a whiner when he is accommplishing so much, and I am so focused on myself.

Parisa wrote:

My husband did several months of IV clindamycin. He did the IV twice a day (I don't remember the dosage) and combined it with oral qualaquine as the final death knell to his babesi

Did he have IV clindamycin daily for the babesia?  I don't think doctors like to give clindamycin without intervals.  I did get Dr. F. to approve clindy IV's one week on, and two weeks off, which is better than nothing.  I tried the oral, one pill 300 mg. yesterday, and couldn't take the side effects.  I am still using the local llmd who does not prescribe IV's, and have yet to make the trek to N. CA. to see Dr. H.  If I ultimately decide that more IV's are necessary, I will have to make the trip.

Parisa, you mentioned in one of your posts that flagyl was a miracle drug for your husband and he got immediate relief.  I have to tell you that I started on Tindamax yesterday, and I cannot believe how much better I feel.  I am reluctant to get too excited, because I am not sure if it was the clindamycin (just finished one week of IV's) or the tindamax, but I think the tindamax made a huge difference.  Now I know what you were talking about…..

nancy

Parisa
    Participant

Nancy,

Yes, he had the clindamycin daily without breaks.  He tolerated it very well.  I'm happy to hear the Tindamax is working well for you.  We noticed almost within a day of starting the Flagyl that it was working.  So unlike some of the drugs he's taken we were able to make a very direct correlation between recovery and the drug. 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=379]Elaine son w/MCTD[/user] wrote:

P.S. Has anyone done the liver enzyme test to see if they are lacking any of the enzymes that help breakdown abx? If so what is the name of it? I think my son may have this problem.

Hi Elaine,

As far as my limited understanding of this question goes, one of the most common enzymes involved in the breakdown on drugs and their toxic metabolites in the liver is called the cytochrome P-450 system. Damage to the liver can occur when the cytochrome P-450 system is not functioning effectively and results in a build-up of toxic metabolites. Is this the enzyme you were meaning?

The reason why diflucan can be hard on the liver, for instance, is because it actually inhibits cytochrome P-450. In fact, this is the reason LLMDs use Diflucan, because it also incapacitates borrelia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15337633

People who have a genetic proclivity to being “slow acetylators” also have a poor cytochrome P-450 system and it is given as one reason why some people experience drug-induced forms of lupus on certain drugs.

I am not sure of the cytochrome P-450 test that would be applicable to check for a person's ability to break down specific antibiotics, but here is an article that describes various sub-sets of these tests for different drugs. It could be a question to put to Dr C for your son, as it may be one of those FAQs an LLMD would have at their fingertips:

http://www.healthanddna.com/drug-safety-dna-testing/dna-drug-reaction-testing.html

This is just my limited understanding about this kind of testing, so might be worth doing some more researching on this yourself to see what you come up with. Would love to hear what you discover!

Peace, Maz

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] make the trek to N. CA. to see Dr. H.

[/quote]

I have an appointment with Dr. H in late Jan, I will have an idea about his preferred protocol after that. Quite a few people in my local lyme group see him.

Cheryl

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1552]nspiker[/user] wrote:

Parisa, you mentioned in one of your posts that flagyl was a miracle drug for your husband and he got immediate relief.  I have to tell you that I started on Tindamax yesterday, and I cannot believe how much better I feel.  I am reluctant to get too excited, because I am not sure if it was the clindamycin (just finished one week of IV's) or the tindamax, but I think the tindamax made a huge difference.  Now I know what you were talking about…..

nancy

Nancy,

I was on Flagyl and vancomycin to treat C. Diff. I also had one antibiotic IV at the same time. Within a week, all my joint pain and puffy sausage fingers were back to normal. No more red skin. I was very very happy. One month after withdrew the medication, all the symptoms came back.

I hope the next doctor will be able to give me some flagyl.  :JB

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ IV Clindamycin’ is closed to new replies.