Home Forums General Discussion Injectable Doxycycline" & "Doxycycline Skin Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jo
    Participant

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jul/09-have-we-finally-found-an-effective-defense-against-lyme-disease

Need to Fast Track “Injectable Doxycycline” & “Doxycycline Skin Patch”
    by Leslee Dudley & Sean Dudley

JBJBJB
    Participant

Jo,

This is a wonderful news. Injectable medicine always works better. Hopefully insurance can cover it. I am sure it will work a lot better than minocyclin. I am considering to switch to Doxy due to minocyclin gives me very dark skin and stained teeth. Even though my dear husband of 24 years told me he loves me no matter what I look, hey, I want to look normal. :sick: not green!!!

Thanks for the news!!! JB

linda
    Participant

Way cool!!! It's encouraging to see that there is progress being made in the pharma industry for treating arthritis with antibiotics. Thanks for sharing!

linda

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jo,

Thanks for sharing this. I came across it when the study results had been published a while back and shared it with my Lyme group. The general response was dubious, because it was felt that the injectible was likely going to be used as a one-time thing, much as the prophylactic one-day-dose of doxy is given, if someone has just been bitten by a tick…i.e. before symptoms arise….and not as a longterm treatment option. 

Would definitely be a nice alternative, though, for rheumatoid patients with stomach issues who couldn't tolerate orals!

Weird, when I clicked on the link you provided, it said the article had been moved. I did a search and a totally different article than the one you posted appeared, but with the same link you provided….:? 

“Have We Finally Found an Effective Defense Against Lyme Disease?”

A new treatment may block transmission 85 percent of the time. by Pamela Weintraub published online July 9, 2008

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jul/09-have-we-finally-found-an-effective-defense-against-lyme-disease

Peace, Maz

kat
    Participant

I had the same problem as Maz and could not find the article. But thanks for sharing this. It would be wonderful to have an injectable form of doxy, I'd be the first in line to use it! Here's hoping that it comes to fruition and, like Maz said, it wouldn't only be a one time shot thing.

Donna927
    Participant

In reading side effects, I am scared of doxy side effects … this is what I got at Ca dr,
    all my tests were negative and in normal range accept for lazy thyroid.
    but
    I am afraid to take it…
    does it help the RA.. are the side effects worth it?he said I could get worse first.

talking myself into diet instead and formulating questions for the dr.
    why would they give me antibiotic… for a few joints in hands.. if maybe fatigue was partially thyroid?

I am so confused. Maz, I am suppose to take it MWF bid…
    do you have any suggestions for me?
    Maybe I should wait for the injectable..or patch.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=550]Donna927[/user] wrote:

In reading side effects, I am scared of doxy side effects … this is what I got at Ca dr,
    all my tests were negative and in normal range accept for lazy thyroid.
    but
    I am afraid to take it…
    does it help the RA.. are the side effects worth it?he said I could get worse first.

talking myself into diet instead and formulating questions for the dr.
    why would they give me antibiotic… for a few joints in hands.. if maybe fatigue was partially thyroid?

I am so confused. Maz, I am suppose to take it MWF bid…
    do you have any suggestions for me?
    Maybe I should wait for the injectable..or patch.

Hi Donna,

You're so fortunate to have been able to see one of the very best AP docs in the nation! :roll-laugh:  He's run all the requisite tests and prescribed according to your symptoms. I think if you trust his recommendations, then I'm not sure why you're afraid to follow them?

A “lazy” or hypo thyroid could certainly cause RA-like pain and I do understand why this may be confusing. I don't think Dr F treats thryoid and you'd need to see an endocrinologist to get proper diagnosis and treatment for that part. However, I get the feeling that Dr F probably precribed the doxy to get you started and to cover all corners. If you then find your symptoms resolve once your thyroid is balanced, then you can stop the antibiotic and no harm has been done.

This said, RA can also present as seronegative. I think I might have mentioned this before, but Dr Brown felt strongly that people presenting with all the early clinical signs of rheumatoid disease should be treated to avert inevitable worsening down the road. In fact, by treating early, the swifter the turnaround and the brighter the prognosis. Seronegative patients generally respond very well to AP. So, you have this in your favor. That's not to say that people with severe, entrenched disease don't get better. Just that once joint damage occurs, this won't be corrected by AP or any other RA medication….damage is irreversible. Also, bringing a patient who has longstanding disease back to remission takes longer, in general. So, you could wait to see if you worsen before beginning, but by then it is generally considered to take longer to regress. Why wait?

If you haven't already read the book, I really do recommend that you do. It's got answers to pretty much all the FAQ that are asked here on the board and everything you need to know about the rationale for pulsing as opposed to daily dosing.

What you've been prescribed is such a low dose of doxy, I don't think you need to worry about side-effects, as long as you're taking adequate probiotics. Tetracyclines are well tolerated by most people and side effects are the exception, not the rule. Most people who do experience side-effects feel they are preferable to the alternative, which is for the disease to progress and for joint damage to occur.

So my best suggestion, as a fellow RA patient, is to follow Dr F's advice. Take your AP just as he prescribed it to you. I think you'll find that your fears are just that. I do understand how you feel because I never used to take as much as an advil for a migraine and would just ride through the pain. However, being as severe as I was, so quickly, I quickly learned there were only two options for me….to take a pretty innocuous antibiotic and see if it worked (if it didn't or I had unbearable side-effects I could stop), or to take much harder drugs that would kill my immune system. To do nothing and take no action would have, of course, ultimately left me wheelchair-bound within a very short space of time. Today, I'm just so grateful and glad I chose antibiotic therapy. 😀

Dr F is right…many do worsen before seeing improvement. If you can get a hold of the book, this is described in some detail. It's also described on the main website under the education tab. It's called a herxheimer reaction (herx, for short) and is a good sign the antibiotic is reaching its target. Worsening varies for every individual, however. For someone who is newly diagnosed with few symptoms, the herx should be more manageable than for someone who is severe with longstanding disease, generally speaking. There are no hard and fast rules with this. I have been on antibiotic therapy for almost 1 3/4 years now and switched from heavy Lyme antibiotic combos to AP in December of last year. I am still herxing, but I am improving after each herx in small increments.

So, in a nutshell, I think your Mom is right on! 😉 It's best to follow the doctor's advice and read as much as possible to educate yourself about AP therapy, both the book and all the educative materials on the main website. Knowledge is power and to know in advance what to expect and how to manage your daily symptoms is invaluable.  I know in my own case this was certainly what kept me going on AP when I was just so sick, in fear and not sure if I was doing the right thing. You can also learn alot here on the bulletin from just listening in to what others are doing and even doing searches for things that may be particularly troubling you to see if/how others have dealt with similar issues.

Ultimately none of us can tell you what to do, as it must be your choice, but I can tell you honestly that AP is a choice I don't regret! If you still feel doubtful, however, then maybe getting a good thyroid workup, first, might help to allay your concerns. 

All the best, Donna!

Peace, Maz

Donna927
    Participant

Thanks Maz.
    I am leaning into this AP and yes Dr F seems extremely good at what he does. I have the book as well and I have gotten through much of it. I suppose, I know you and my mom are right. I just don't want to believe it..I will probably get my thyroid looked at but I suppose I should start the AP. I worry about nursing school this fall. I need my hands and I fear I will catch something. Of course I will practice universal precautions and good hand washing. I am just scared. I am afraid of the herxing during nursing school. I can't miss any days. I am teaching too and want to keep my grades up, and my children need a strong mom. Its like getting into the pool.. It always takes me a long time but when I get wet I am fine.:headbang: I will work through it and get the nerve up.I will have to wait till Monday though to start as the Rx was written as generic and he told me he wanted the brand name?? so pharmacy has to call Dr F on Monday. See I am getting there. Just a scared slow poke. Thanks!!!

casey
    Participant

Hi Donna,

I completely understand your concerns about the side effects of some of the antibiotics and i have been where you are. BUT, i can tell you that i am more afraid of the side effects of these diseases and the traditional meds used than any antibiotic. also , what happens if one didnt chose AP and ends up on prednisone and methotrexate etc??? Over time, the body will have to be monitered for the side effects of those drugs more than the disease itself and the root of the problem is still raging on.. Nows thats scary!!!

Anyway, i just want to let you know that i take doxy 5 days /week on top of other abx. I have MCTD. I have a 13 yr old son who takes doxy and other abx as well and he has been taking it since last yr (12 yrs old).   We are  getting better ( knock on wood!!!!!!). We arent afraid to take abx now but we are petrified of the diseases.

I understand your fears and you mention about nursing school , not being able to use your hands etc. Well, if one doesnt treat these infections, they dont disappear, and we onlyy get worse right ,so how will you help others if you are ill??I would suspect the doc is putting you on it for a reason. Try AP,get yourself well and after nursing school is done , go on to be a doctor . I bet i know where you could find a long list of available patients!!!

BTW, many infectious pathogens can affect thyroid function.

Casey

Lizz
    Participant

Donna- I totally agree with Casey- I wish I had known about AP way earlier on, before I was finally diagnosed. When my knee blew up, I was told I had edema, bursitis, osteoarthritis- accepted what the doctors told me, and before I knew it, it was my other knee, my wrists and my fingers. I am also seronegative,have been all along for what that's worth. You are lucky so far it's just in your hands. For me, the mino has prevented  new joint involvement and had minimized the minor damage that has been done. It's your body and your decision, I respect that,do what is right for you. We are all here to support you whatever you decide! 

Lizz RA 11/07, AP 5/07

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Casey! Great to see you here and so happy you and your son are doing so well!!!! :roll-laugh:  Thanks for stopping by and do hope it won't be long before you're writing your testimonial for the site!!!

Donna – further to Casey's comments about pathogens invading all part of the body, thought you might be interested in this website, which mentions hypothyroidism and its connection to these infections….you'll find this under the section entitled: 

The Correlation between Fibromyalgia and Mycoplasmas

http://www.rain-tree.com/fibromyalgia.htm

[*]Mycoplasmas also need and utilize proteins derived from amino acids. Amino acids are the core building blocks in the neuroendocrine system for the synthesis of most chemicals produced and used in the complex intricate pathways of the neuroendocrine system including thyroid hormone production and other chemicals taken up and used in the HPA. This may cause the deregulation of the neuroendocrine system thru the loss of vital nutrients required to maintain regulation.[/*]
    Peace, Maz

wendi
    Participant

I'm hoping the patch comes available soon.  These meds are tearing up my gut!!:angry:

Donna927
    Participant

Yikes. I am afraid of that gut side effect.. but we shall see. I received the energy boost today and hope it helps with the fatigue. I am all set to begin on Monday but
    ….I am still putting in a but… I will see then.
    I really appreciate all the input.
    I will forget about it for a day best I can and try not think about it. I will try to make the best choice I can make. Thanks so much for the support:)

Donna927
    Participant

Dr F… said take it… he said half of help is supplements/other have is antibiotic
    ok I said i would….
    I just needed reassurance. I will let you know how it goes.
    He said if I have digestive issues.. he will add another probiotic.
    I hope I do ok with them.
    I have only one month before school starts. I better start,

🙂

richie
    Participant

Hi
    Thats an accurate assessment –the article talks in terms of a one time use –and the patch is projected to be used as protection against acquiring lyme during the high season –but I would think some innovative doctors could figure out how to utilize it as a treatment for on going disease
    richie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ Injectable Doxycycline" & "Doxycycline Skin Patch’ is closed to new replies.