Home Forums General Discussion I'm back from MO, w/ great news

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    linda
    Participant

Happy New Year!

I've been w/out access to the internet for a few weeks, so I have some catching up to do. I'll be reading thru the posts but hope that the new year finds you all feeling better or maintaining your current good health.

OK, if you know me well, make sure you're sitting down before you read this. While I was visiting family in MO, I got snowed in and had to stay longer than planned, about 3 weeks. During that time I lowered the pred dosage to 7 mg, in and of itself a minor miracle. However, a few days later I noticed that my glucose levels were lower than usual, in the 80s, so I decided to stop taking one of my diabetes meds (the Glycet, it's the one that prevents spiking of glucose levels). My levels remained in the 80s w/out the med, until a few nights later when my level was 74, too low. I ate a piece of toast and continued to visit with my family. About 30 min later the room began to swim and I managed to tell my mother to get my purse before I collapsed on the couch. My blood sugar had tanked, but I had sugar tablets in my purse and w/in a few min. my blood sugar levelled out and tragedy was averted-it was much less dramatic than it sounds. But I decided to try and go w/out the other diabetic med, Metformin, and see what happened. That was on Jan. 7th, and I have not taken ANY diabetes meds since then and my glucose levels have been normal- I have been very strict about my diet, tho.

I called my endocrinologist and she tentatively concluded that I was one of the lucky ones whose diabetes reverses after being on pred for years. Keep in mind that I'm still decreasing the pred to at least 5 mg/day, so the diabetes may continue to reverse to the point where I don't have to be so strict on my diet. BUT, AS OF NOW I'M A DIET CONTROLLED DIABETIC!!!:roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh: Also, my blood pressure has also returned to normal. And, I lost 5 lbs over the holidays, most of which I attribute to the lower dose of pred. My tummy is also much better, I can now drink caffienated soft drinks-I know they're bad- but the point is my stomach is healing and the pred dose is lowering, soooo…MAYBE I can give AP another try soon.

HIGHLIGHTS from the trip, non-medical info but kinda funny:
    I have some pics from my trip which I'll post soon. We made it to MO w/out killing each other, but there were a few moments where it was touch and go.;)  4 adults, a dog and a very unhappy cat in a car for 15 hrs, oi. We laughed, we cried, we fought over who got to drive, we ate and Cisco and the boys farted (I never fart). We got stuck in the snow in my parents long gravel driveway, and Cisco ate my parents' dog's phenobarbitol pills. We had to make him drink hydrogen peroxide and then force him to eat salt in order to make him throw up, then had to force 60 ml of liquid charcoal down his throat. yikes. He was fine, and after a really long bath even looked like himself. Later that day we survived the aforementioned hypoglycemic episode. Drama, drama, drama. But it was wonderful.

Parisa
    Participant

Linda,

I'm so happy to hear about your being able to lower the prednisone and get off the diabetes drugs.  It's so nice to whittle down the list of drugs you have to take and conditions you have to worry about.  Sounds like you had a good time with family even if there was a little drama.  Those episodes always make for good epic stories later on.

Kim
    Participant

Hey Linda,

You had me cracking up. First of all let me say Cisco is lucky he is your dog and not mine because he'd probably be a pound puppy about now!

It has been such a long time since we've had good news from you. You sound so fired up and rejuvenated and I could not be happier for you. Sure sounds like things are falling into place now so you can make some real progress, so you go girl!

Looking forward to seeing your new pictures. Post them on the “post your picture” thread.

Take care……kim

Trudi
    Participant

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

Happy New Year!

I've been w/out access to the internet for a few weeks, so I have some catching up to do.

Happy New Year to you, too, Linda!

I was wondering where you've been.  I'm glad you are back on the Internet and with such good news.  It looks like this trip created a lot of good for you (with some minor hiccups).

Glad to see you back,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

heatherbell
    Participant

:roll-laugh:How exciting to finally get down on the pred.  What a milestone!  May you keep progressing well in the health arena.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Linda,

Wow… amazing. I am really impressed. Pray the type 2 diabetes won't come back to hunt you any more. I have a feeling the type 2 diabetes you got perhaps hormone related. What a miracle trip you had. It's the trip you will never forget.

BTW, my high blood pressure problem was completely gone after I had it for about a year. High blood pressure runs in my mother side of family. It was gone after I got about a month the antibiotic treatment (Flagyl, Vacomincin, and another abx). Isn't that something? So whenever I am under a lot of stress, I have heart palpitation or my Raynaud's acts up, instead of high blood pressure. I take these two symptoms as the replacement for high blood pressure.

I am really really happy for you!

JB

linda
    Participant

Thanks everyone, it is encouraging but I know better than to think that symptoms won't return. I'm hoping that staying on 5 mg pred or less, or none at all-wouldn't that be nice?-will prevent the return of the diabetes. Continued weight loss will be a big factor as well, so I'm not out of the woods yet. Also, the FM and PsA are still just as bad as ever, probably a little bit worse, but it sure is nice to have one of my conditions under control for now. We do learn to appreciate each little victory, don't we?

Currently it seems like all my pain has camped out in my feet, in the top of my feet, oddly enough. I've never had PsA there but have had it in my achilles tendons, heels and the balls of my feet. I guess the tops of my feet were feeling left out! But walking is really tough right now. And 2 back to back snow storms in MO followed by temps below zero, -20 to -30 with wind chill :shock:, followed by 2 days of driving home to SA, didn't help. Sorry if I sound wimpy to those of you who live in places like Michigan or Maine; I did my time in MO as a child, and I really don't miss that “balmy” winter weather! Sunny and 68 in SA today!:dude: But I see Dr. Wonderful Weds. and can't wait to tell him about the changes in my meds. So far the list of meds that have been dc'd:
    Glycet
    Metformin
    Avapro (blood pressure)
    And the once/month tablet for osteoporosis, of which I can't remember the name but which Dr. W said I could dc if I lowered the pred-last time I saw him in Oct. I was on 11 mg

So I'm allowing myself a little party in my head but am mindful of the work I still have to do. Sorry, Maz, your toes and fingers are still needed!

Kim, I could never give up my little chi, he's 11 y/o this week and a real mama's boy. But also a great heating pad and friend; he carries a heavy load for such a little guy. My father thinks his poop looks like tootsie rolls, and for about 2 days after ingesting the charcoal, he had dark chocolate tootsie rolls!:blush: He da man!

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

So I'm allowing myself a little party in my head but am mindful of the work I still have to do. Sorry, Maz, your toes and fingers are still needed!

Linda, I was taking a little time off over the weekend and was so happy to see your post! I know you're still in pain, but what fantastic news, all in all! Whoohoo!!

My fingers and toes have your name written all over them and I'll be rooting for you on the sidelines until your stomach is healed enough and you're able to get back on AP and start again! And do hope your lovely Cisco back-warmer is feeling better after his mishap, too. 😉

Peace, Maz

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hi Linda,

glad you made it home in one piece. Long trips sometimes have their excitements. Never a dull moment traveling with critters and kids (even if they are adults). :roll-laugh:

I am glad you have been able to cut down on the Prednison. Sometimes my sugar was a wee bit higher than 100 and I freaked out but the doctor told me that this was from the Prednison. Now I don't have a problem since I am on the antibiotics. Keeps around 80something. I am also glad you could cut out some more other meds. Just keep on eye on what is hapening with your body,you don't need any surprises.

Hope you got my other e-mail about our large German Choir (around 1500 singers)singing in SA on April 9, 10 and 11. Choose a day, all the concerts are free. Friday and Saturday is at the Convention Center and Sunday at La Vallita in the afternoon.

Take care,

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

linda
    Participant

Thank you, Eva, I'll be sure to put that on my calendar.

linda
    Participant

I saw the rheumy today. Just a quick update; BP-120/84 w/no med, and a weight loss of 7 lbs since my last visit.  Total weight loss of 16lbs over the last 9 months. I know that slow weight loss is best, but this is taking it a bit too far. I'm just saying. Also, my fasting glucose was 95 this morning, still no meds for that either.:) Dr. Wonderful was very impressed.

But man do I hurt. In addition to the funky thing going on with the top of my feet, about 4 days ago I developed TMJ on the right side. I'm hoping that no more joints will flare but am preparing myself for that possibility. I knew there would be a trade off :?, but it's worth it to get rid of 2-3 chronic conditions.

I have another little problem-I gained weight so fast, 10 lbs every 3 months, that I skipped a few sizes when buying new clothes. Ladies, you know we keep wearing something until we absolutely have to go up a size, then when we admit defeat and go to buy new clothes, we find out that we've gone up more than one size. The problem is that I'm not losing weight as fast as I gained it, so I literally have no clothes that fit. I'll have to keep wearing the clothes that are now too big until I go down 2 sizes.

So if you're in SA and you see some woman with a silly, lop-sided grin (TMJ), doing her impression of the Ministry of Funny Walks (weird top of feet pain), while wearing baggy pants that keep falling down (see above), it's probably me! I think I'm ready to start dating again, don't you!:shock: Yeah baby!

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Linda,

my pants looked like half a body had moved out before I purchased some more pants. I know when I looked in the mirror I saw this funny dressed person. Even now some of my pants are too loose, some of them because I am in-between sizes or they slip on easier than the tight ones.:roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

I am glad things are moving in the right direction for you, it may be slow but a small step at the time is better than a large step and then you have to go back maybe two or three steps.:blush: Every dropped medicine is an improvement. Keep it up, you have been fighting this for a long time, and I think it is time something good comes your way.

Eva Holloway

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Linda;
        Thanks for a great laugh.I can just about see you doing that walk.You like Monty Python also?My English is not great but I used to laugh myself sick watching that gang.

linda
    Participant

Thank you, Eva. Should we start The Baggy Pants Brigade?

Lynne- I do like Monte Python…most of the time.;) Hmm, I need to watch Holy Grail, it's been a while. But Father, I want to sing!

Eva Holloway
    Participant

We could do that when I come to SA in April, haha. All my German costums are too big and I have to get them taken in so I will look alright. Just watch the ladies in the funny looking cloth; maybe we start a new fashion:dude:

Eva Holloway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘ I'm back from MO, w/ great news’ is closed to new replies.