Home Forums General Discussion how to take minocycline

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Lucia πŸ™‚

Seems to be that you are still struggling – I am so sorry πŸ˜₯

Have you thought about contacting Dr S via his email. He will answer any questions you have freely. I emailed him early on in my diagnosis a couple of times. If you want his email I am sure I still have it and I could pm you with it.

I found that when I was taking Aknemin three times weekly I wasn’t noticing any difference at all but when I upped my dose to 1 x 200mg daily my blood markers started coming down and I lost the feeling of ‘brain fog’ . I am still by no means better but I was extremely poorly and I know it will take a long time for me to see a vast improvement. However, I can drive now, meet my friends for a coffee and walk about 1/2 mile. To someone who is well this may seem ‘trivial’ but to me it is a big improvement πŸ™‚ I am not the person I once was though I must admit that. I believe once I start tackling my diet head on I will again see more improvement and I am starting to up my dose of Aknemin this week to alternate 200mg/400mg daily. When I contacted Dr S about a year ago he suggested that I may like to start taking 400mg daily and this is what I am working up to. I am hoping this will really start kicking the bugs OUT lol

When I first started taking Aknemin I was also concerned that it was generic but I really don’t think that it is. I will try to find a post that I wrote about it and copy it for you later πŸ™‚ It may help you decide to take it as it did me. If you feel it doesn’t work as well I wonder if you could tolerate a slightly higher dose??

I do take steroids alongside my aknemin and celebrex. I can not take methotrexate because my autoimmune has produced antibodies to my liver and mtx is harsh for the liver anyway. I have reduced my steroids from 30mg to 7.5mg so yet again I do think the aknemin is working. It is a long slow journey for sure but I would rather take this journey at the moment.

I do hope you work something our Lucia. My thoughts are with you. Sending you a great big hug and warmest love xx

Anonymous
    Participant

Dear Pat

I’ll answer with calm meanwhile many many loved hugs to you …take care of yourself :geek:

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Lucia,

As promised here is the information I got from one of the board members (sometime in 2011) when I was concerned about being prescribed Aknemin instead of Acnamino πŸ™‚

Patricia Ann,

I have been using Aknemin (100mg) since this April. I was very concerned at first that these were not the right type of Minocin. However, they are doing the trick just fine. Additionally, they ARE pelletized; you can open one up to check – I have. Also, these are not considered generic Minocyclin, unless I am not getting the right story from the pharmacy and Dr. F. I am being assured they are the same as brand-name Minocin. Note that they are manufactured in Reinbek Germany. My delivery comes from the Westlake Pharmacy, Hounslow, U.K. and the Pharmacy Dr. F. used for this is the Northwest Pharmacy in Canada (yes, how “the world is flat”) CustomerService@NorthWestPharmacy.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-539-5330.

I hope this helps,

Randy
    Diffuse SD since Apr ’07
    Began AP Feb ’08
    Minocin 100mg twice daily M, T, Th, Fri
    Clindy 1200mg IV’s 1wk/6 wks

GO AP! BEAT SD!

Randy

Hope this helps.

Love Patricia xx

PhilC
    Participant

Aknemin is a brand of minocycline, the same way that Cynomycin, Dynacin, Minocin, and Minomycin (to name a few) are brands of minocycline. However, Aknemin is not the same thing as Minocin — it cannot be because the ingredients are different.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Phil is quite right. They are all forms of minocycline which is the name of the drug itself (which is the same worldwide). All those other names are either brand names or generic forms of the drug- these names differ from country to country. So Aknemin and Minocin are different names for the drug minocycline. Apart from the active ingredient that is the drug minocycline, they have other (and different) inactive ingredients in them. Also, with generics, my understanding is that there is a leeway for the amount of the active ingredient, which can make the amount of minocycline differ from one to the other.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

@Patricia.Ann wrote:

Hi Lucia,

As promised here is the information I got from one of the board members (sometime in 2011) when I was concerned about being prescribed Aknemin instead of Acnamino πŸ™‚

Patricia Ann,

I have been using Aknemin (100mg) since this April. I was very concerned at first that these were not the right type of Minocin. However, they are doing the trick just fine. Additionally, they ARE pelletized; you can open one up to check – I have. Also, these are not considered generic Minocyclin, unless I am not getting the right story from the pharmacy and Dr. F. I am being assured they are the same as brand-name Minocin. Note that they are manufactured in Reinbek Germany. My delivery comes from the Westlake Pharmacy, Hounslow, U.K. and the Pharmacy Dr. F. used for this is the Northwest Pharmacy in Canada (yes, how “the world is flat”) CustomerService@NorthWestPharmacy.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-539-5330.

I hope this helps,

Randy
    Diffuse SD since Apr ’07
    Began AP Feb ’08
    Minocin 100mg twice daily M, T, Th, Fri
    Clindy 1200mg IV’s 1wk/6 wks

GO AP! BEAT SD!

Randy

Hope this helps.

Love Patricia xx

dear patricia
    thanks for the valuable info and sorry if I answer only now but I would do it for good.
    excuse my english I try to do my best to make myself understood.
    For two weeks I stopped minocin always for the stomach . reflux and nausea.
    In any case, the effects of low dose of antibiotics that I put in another post remained. I also thought to reduce from 50 to 25 mg to accustom the stomach .
    I’

Patricia.Ann
    Participant

Hi Lucia πŸ™‚

Lovely to hear from you and it really doesn’t matter how long it takes to answer I am always happy to hear from you. I can understand your English perfectly πŸ˜‰

The information I gave you was from another board member, Randy, in a reply to a post I made about Aknemin because I was worried it wouldn’t work as well as Acnamino that I had been prescribed previously. I have found that it has taken quite a long time for my blood markers to start coming down slowly BUT they are starting to come down Lucia which is good news. I do feel Aknemin is of good quality. I can’t compare it to Minocin because I haven’t ever taken that. If you can tolerate Aknmein then eventually, slowly slowly, you can work your way up in dose perhaps.

I do take Lansoprazole (stomach protector) – it is like the Omoprazole…..

I do take some supplements to help support my liver and kidneys and detox. I like the A Vogel tinctures – milk thistle and solidago. I have also just introduced another one this week called urtica – it is meant to be a good diuretic and help to eliminate uric acid – being good for rheumatoid. I always feel better when i take the milk thistle and solidago. I have also just bought NEM which is Natural Eggshell Membrane, because of my knee problems. It supports the production of type II collagen, one of the main componenets of cartilage, and the production of synovial fluid which supports the joints. I have been taking it for about a week and I do feel slightly less pain in my knees but not sure if that is just a coincidence. I also take a good bone supplement – because of the leeching of calcium from the medication I take puts me at risk of osteoporosis! this includes a good vegetarian calcium source, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 amongst other vitamins and minerals

I don’t have any experience with iv clindamycin although I do think I would benefit from this. I have only gained benefit from an increase in the Aknemin. When I was taking it only three times weekly nothing changed. At the moment I am just upping my dose to 100mg/200mg alternate days but my last blood work was mostly better on all counts although my rheumatologist told me my body is still producing antibodies.

Have you emailed Dr S at all?? He may be able to give you some suggestions as to what you could do regarding dose for Aknemin?

Take great care Lucia. I am so sorry you are going through a struggle. This is a VERY supportive and loving group and everyone, including me, will do all we can to support you. Auto immune illness is not an easy thing to deal with and knowing we have this support is such a relief to me.

Very much love and a great big hug.

Patricia <3

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Aknemin is a brand of minocycline, the same way that Cynomycin, Dynacin, Minocin, and Minomycin (to name a few) are brands of minocycline. However, Aknemin is not the same thing as Minocin — it cannot be because the ingredients are different.

Phil

Phil do You mean “ADDITIVES” for “the ingredients are different.”

πŸ™

Anonymous
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Phil is quite right. They are all forms of minocycline which is the name of the drug itself (which is the same worldwide). All those other names are either brand names or generic forms of the drug- these names differ from country to country. So Aknemin and Minocin are different names for the drug minocycline. Apart from the active ingredient that is the drug minocycline, they have other (and different) inactive ingredients in them. Also, with generics, my understanding is that there is a leeway for the amount of the active ingredient, which can make the amount of minocycline differ from one to the other.

hi Lynnie

then you also confirms that there is not a generic Aknemin πŸ˜‰

thank you

Lucia

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Aknemin is a brand not a generic form of minocycline.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Aknemin is a brand not a generic form of minocycline.

thank you very very much Lynnie :geek:

PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

@PhilC wrote:

However, Aknemin is not the same thing as Minocin — it cannot be because the ingredients are different.

Yes, that is basically correct. The excipients (inactive ingredients) are different.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

@PhilC wrote:

However, Aknemin is not the same thing as Minocin — it cannot be because the ingredients are different.

Yes, that is basically correct. The excipients (inactive ingredients) are different.

Phil

Than’k Phil πŸ˜‰

PhilC
    Participant

Lucia,

You said that you are (or were) taking minocycline with food. Are you taking the mino before or after you eat the food?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Lucia,

You said that you are (or were) taking minocycline with food. Are you taking the mino before or after you eat the food?

Phil

Dear Phil,

Yesterday I took Aknemin and even 25 mg hurt me again my stomach . the doctor says to insist with gastroprotective but I’m too sick to the stomach and interrupt you again. πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„

I am very worrying πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ because even a low dose I take away the pain of arthritis and I’m better now.

I take minocycline at breakfast, eat a toast and drink almond milk with some cookies and in the middle and take mino

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.