Home Forums General Discussion how to take minocycline

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi everyone

how to take minocycline if if you have a sensitive stomach? πŸ˜₯

I took minocycline on an empty stomach with plenty of water but it made me sick though

how usually you take minocycline? at what time of day and how?

thank’s πŸ™„

JohnnyMax
    Participant

Ideally you take it on an empty stomach, but they claim if you take food, it is still 85% bio available, though make sure you are not having dairy foods or food that contain calcium, magnesium or foods with iron, since they will bind with the mino and you may get next to nothing out of it. You can try eating, waiting 2 hours and taking it then, may help. Try taking it 2 hours after breakfast and then again at night at least 2 hours after supper, but don’t eat again before bed on MWF, or any other alternate days. Then fine tune it depending on how you feel.

John

Maz
    Keymaster

@flower wrote:

Hi everyone

I took minocycline on an empty stomach with plenty of water but it made me sick though

thank’s πŸ™„

Hi Flower,

Glad you posted your question here, because hopefully others will share their experiences with you. πŸ™‚

I have not had serious stomach issues with any tetracycline, so have always been able to take on an empty stomach with no problem. Other people can have a difficult time, though.

I think, in the same position, I would eat breakfast, first, and then take my minocycline an hour later. It’s also okay to eat foods with minocycline, if needed. Just best to avoid anything heavy in minerals (foods, medications or supplements containing calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, etc). For example, no dairy or orange juice with calcium added, no antacids for stomach containing magnesium or calcium, and no supps, like daily vitamins, containing minerals.

Although instructions say to take on an empty stomach, minocycline was developed for teens (who are growing fast and tend to eat a lot) with acne and it’s actually fine to take it with a light meal or snack, if needed, as follows (just not a really heavy meal that may cause reflux):

See Drugs.com instructions here:

http://www.drugs.com/minocycline.html

How should I take minocycline?

Take minocycline exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

Take this medicine with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.

Most brands of minocycline may be taken with or without food.

Take Minocin (pellet-filled capsules) on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.”

Flower, you may also want to ask your pharmacist if there is a different generic minocycline that you can try. Sometimes people are sensitive to the fillers or dyes in some generics and just switching generics can make a difference, too. If taking with food doesn’t help, then trialing a different generic may be better.

PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

How many times a day do you take it? When it made you feel sick, what time of the day was that when you took it?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@JohnnyMax wrote:

Ideally you take it on an empty stomach, but they claim if you take food, it is still 85% bio available, though make sure you are not having dairy foods or food that contain calcium, magnesium or foods with iron, since they will bind with the mino and you may get next to nothing out of it. You can try eating, waiting 2 hours and taking it then, may help. Try taking it 2 hours after breakfast and then again at night at least 2 hours after supper, but don’t eat again before bed on MWF, or any other alternate days. Then fine tune it depending on how you feel.

John

Thank you John for all this information. I’ll have to experiment with taking minocin but first I have to treat stomach’s burning. πŸ™„
    I hope to get back as soon as possible because I felt already the beneficial effects of minocycline :geek:

Anonymous
    Participant

@Maz wrote:

@flower wrote:

Hi everyone

thank’s πŸ™„

Hi Flower,

Glad you posted your question here, because hopefully others will share their experiences with you. πŸ™‚

I have not had serious stomach issues with any tetracycline, so have always been able to take on an empty stomach with no problem. Other people can have a difficult time, though.

I think, in the same position, I would eat breakfast, first, and then take my minocycline an hour later. It’s also okay to eat foods with minocycline, if needed. Just best to avoid anything heavy in minerals (foods, medications or supplements containing calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, etc). For example, no dairy or orange juice with calcium added, no antacids for stomach containing magnesium or calcium, and no supps, like daily vitamins, containing minerals.

Although instructions say to take on an empty stomach, minocycline was developed for teens (who are growing fast and tend to eat a lot) with acne and it’s actually fine to take it with a light meal or snack, if needed, as follows (just not a really heavy meal that may cause reflux):

See Drugs.com instructions here:

http://www.drugs.com/minocycline.html

How should I take minocycline?

Take minocycline exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

Take this medicine with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.

Most brands of minocycline may be taken with or without food.

Take Minocin (pellet-filled capsules) on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.”

Flower, you may also want to ask your pharmacist if there is a different generic minocycline that you can try. Sometimes people are sensitive to the fillers or dyes in some generics and just switching generics can make a difference, too. If taking with food doesn’t help, then trialing a different generic may be better.

Hi Maz,

you’re an encyclopedia, thak’s really πŸ™‚

just my stomach permits I try again to take it with food πŸ™„ at breakfast (gluten free)

I hope goes well πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„

In Italy I found only one type of mino… in your link http://www.drugs.com/minocycline.html
    show this different Minocycline: Brand names: Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin PAC, Myrac, Solodyn, Vectrin
    but I did not understand the difference between them

thank’s have a nice weekend

Anonymous
    Participant

I read in the forum that there is a “pelleted Minocin” … what it means?

PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

Minocin pellet-filled capsules contain pellets inside of them instead of powder.

Who makes the minocycline that you are taking? If you don’t know, just tell me what is written on the capsules.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

Minocin capsules contain pellets inside of them instead of powder. Those pellets are enteric-coated. That means that they pass through the stomach and dissolve in the small intestine, which is ideal for people who have problems with acid reflux.

Who makes the minocycline that you are taking? If you don’t know, just tell me what is written on the capsules.

Phil

Hi Phil πŸ™‚

I’m Italian and I live in Italy ….forgive my english πŸ˜₯

However …

the minocycline that I’m taking is:
    Minocin 100 mg capsule rigide
    MINOCICLINA CLORIDRATO

IT makes by TEOFARMA

http://www.torrinomedica.it/farmaci/schedetecniche/Minocin.asp#axzz2Yg2bLFs8

I HAVE OPEN A CAPSULE AND IT CONTAINS powdeR NOT PELLETS πŸ™„

I’m looking FOR A FORMULATION OF MINOCIN THAT MY STOMACH πŸ˜• CAN TOLERATE because taking minocin I immediately had stomach pain πŸ™„ and I had immediately stop it

thank you very much for the help :geek:

Anonymous
    Participant
    PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

MINOCICLINA CLORIDRATO

IT makes by TEOFARMA

I did not know that some Minocin capsules contain powder and not pellets. It almost seems like they are “cheating” because they are using the Minocin name but make the product in a different (easier and cheaper) way.

@flower wrote:

I’m looking FOR A FORMULATION OF MINOCIN THAT MY STOMACH πŸ˜• CAN TOLERATE because taking minocin I immediately had stomach pain πŸ™„ and I had immediately stop it

Can you get Aknemin? The capsules contain pellets, and some people take it instead of Minocin.

Did you try taking the Minocin with a meal? For example, eat half your meal, take the Minocin, and then eat the rest of your meal. Did you try that?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

MINOCICLINA CLORIDRATO

IT makes by TEOFARMA

I did not know that some Minocin capsules contain powder and not pellets. It almost seems like they are “cheating” because they are using the Minocin name but make the product in a different (easier and cheaper) way.

@flower wrote:

Can you get Aknemin? The capsules contain pellets, and some people take it instead of Minocin.

Did you try taking the Minocin with a meal? For example, eat half your meal, take the Minocin, and then eat the rest of your meal. Did you try that?

Phil

Hi Phil

In Italy unfortunately I don’t find Aknemin πŸ™„
    the doctor told me stop minocin as long as the stomach no better πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„

Anonymous
    Participant

@flower wrote:

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

Minocin capsules contain pellets inside of them instead of powder. Those pellets are enteric-coated. That means that they pass through the stomach and dissolve in the small intestine, which is ideal for people who have problems with acid reflux.

Phil[

I’m looking for pellets are enteric-coated but in Italy dosen’t exist πŸ™„

Phil are you using this type of minocin that pass trought the stomach and dissolve in intestine? πŸ’‘

PhilC
    Participant

@flower wrote:

If you can travel, you may be able to get Aknemin from another country. I believe that Aknemin is made in Germany.

@flower wrote:

Phil are you using this type of minocin that pass trought the stomach and dissolve in intestine? πŸ’‘

No, currently I am taking minocycline tablets. Fortunately, minocycline does not seem to bother my stomach. Also, I usually eat two pieces of toast immediately after I swallow my minocycline. That seems to help.

I think you should ask your doctor if you can try doxycycline (doxiciclina) instead of Minocin. You can always try Minocin again later. In the future, after your health improves, you may be able to take Minocin without getting an upset stomach.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@flower wrote:

If you can travel, you may be able to get Aknemin from another country. I believe that Aknemin is made in Germany.

@flower wrote:

No, currently I am taking minocycline tablets. Fortunately, minocycline does not seem to bother my stomach. Also, I usually eat two pieces of toast immediately after I swallow my minocycline. That seems to help.

I think you should ask your doctor if you can try doxycycline (doxiciclina) instead of Minocin. You can always try Minocin again later. In the future, after your health improves, you may be able to take Minocin without getting an upset stomach.

Phil

Hi Phil…Hi everyone,

after days and days of desperate search
    I found Aknemin in Europe but the pharmacist can’t tell me if it’s pellet πŸ˜•

I read all this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6472&p=56724#p56724

but I could not understand if Aknemin is with “pellets are enteric-coated “

help me πŸ˜•

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.