Home Forums General Discussion High BMI correlated with less joint damage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Joe M
    Participant
    Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Joe…very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share these interesting articles.

I wonder if it has to do with higher levels of estrogen in fat? Estrogen has some steroidal effect (see Clomid thread) and some immunosuppressive capability. I guess it's one instance where being a little overweight might actually help some? 😕

Peace, Maz

Joe M
    Participant

Hi Maz,

I've always thought there was a hormonal component to these diseases – how else do you explain the 3-1 ratio of female to male and the fact that most RA goes into remission during pregnancy?

Maz
    Keymaster

Yes, very true about pregnancy and immunusupression. Although, the estrogen found in fat is not really the good kind – I believe it's estriol, which is more the carcinogenic variety. 🙁 Always a downside to the upside, eh?

Peace, Maz

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I knew all that junk in my trunk would be good for something one day!

:roll-laugh:

— whaleharbor

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

roserdRA
    Participant

Hormones are involved in helping to regulate our immune system as well.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

correction – There are 3 estrogen hormones :  

Estrone (E1) Estradiol (E2) and Estriol (E3).  

It is the E2 – ESTRADIOL which is the one indicated as possibly cancer causing in high doses (either naturally occurring in the body or as hormone replacement). You will often find bio-identical hormones do not include this one, or will include in very low doses. Estriol is considered benign. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

That's strange, Lynnie, as I was led to believe the “bad” estrogen – Estriol or E3 – is the one related to fat storage and is cancer proliferative…but does have some important functions in bone health, as per below:

“Estriol ? Otherwise known as E3 and considered more cancer proliferative than E1 or E2. Estriol has important functions in muscle growth, bone health, libido, and cholesterol levels.61,62,63 However, excess estriol can lead to fat storage, loss of libido, gynomastia (bitch *oops*), cancer proliferation, and negative feedback on the hypothalamus thus limiting androgen production.64,65″ 

http://www.primordialperformance.com/glossary-CD.cfm

This is the one that I was referring to that 'may' be having some influence on preventing joint damage in this study…but it was just a “guess” that I made based on the fact that it's known that both men and women who are overweight have higher levels of estrogen (or estriol) in their bodies.

Perhaps someone else could clarify the distinction between the estrogens here?

Peace, Maz

PS…just noted the above website is some type of supplement seller and it's statements aren't accredited by the FDA…so this could be wrong. Worth checking further though to clarify the different estrogens, as I'm pretty sure my doc said “estriol” was the not so good one in higher than normal levels. It's the one affecting many women, he said, with weight issues during perimenopause.

Maz
    Keymaster

Oh no….that's too funny….just went back to look at that site, as I got a wisher-washer thing come up…and found the “B*tch T*ts” reference. It looks like a common term for an actual condition – gynomastia – so don't think it's meant to be rude. 😉

Peace, Maz

Patti D
    Participant

Maz has a potty mouth too:roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

I was happy to read excess poundage has some use in this disease. like I believe this:sick:

Patti

richie
    Participant

Hi Joe

Another very good explanation  to explain the 3 –1 ratio of women with RA over men could very well be the much higher exposure to detergents and household chemicals –I do feel somewhere that is  in this picture

richie

Maz
    Keymaster

Yeah, good point, Richie…you guys need to take up some more of the slack with the household cleaning! 😛

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

So, we're putting the guys to work while we shed a few pounds……works for me!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Maz I'm sorry to harp on this. But think this is quite important to get clear. See extract below. Lynnie  

From menopause Institute of Australia
    ?Learn About Your Hormones?

The Three Estrogens  
    All estrogen hormones (estrone, estradiol, and estriol) occupy the same receptor sites. Estradiol is the most potent and is converted to the weaker estrone, and then to estriol when levels of progesterone rise. 

Estriol
    In women, estriol is produced in large quantities (together with progesterone) during pregnancy and it is the estrogen that is most beneficial to the vagina and cervical tissue. High levels of estriol have been found in vegetarians and in Asian women who consistently appear to be at much less risk of breast cancer. Estriol has all the benefits of the stronger estrogens, but appears to have fewer risks. It's only negative is that it's much weaker than other estrogens; hence more is needed to achieve the same results.  

Estrone
    In women, estrone mimics the effects of estradiol in addition to aiding it to perform its functions, though it is much weaker than estradiol. In pre menopausal women 50% of estrone is made in the ovaries and the remainder from androstene in the adrenal glands and internal organs. In postmenopausal women the normal ratio of estrone to estriol increases and with that comes most of the ill effects of estradiol. After menopause most of the estrone is made in the adrenals.

Estradiol
    Estradiol is the most potent estrogen of a group of endogenous estrogen steroids. It is responsible for maturation of long bones, development of breasts, reproductive organs and secondary female characteristics. Estradiol is mainly produced by the ovaries, with secondary production by the adrenal glands and conversion of steroid precursors into estrogens in fatty tissue. In women, estradiol is the most potent and biologically active estrogen before menopause. It is estradiol that modulates the course of the menstrual cycle and menopause.

Natural derivatives of estrogens are used extensively in replacement therapy for both menopausal women (pre and post). When a woman has had cancer and hormone replacement is clearly needed to overcome severe symptoms, some Doctors prefer to recommend progesterone only if there are no absolute contraindications. Others will recommend estriol (but not estrone or estradiol) and progesterone, once again if there are no absolute contraindications.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

No worries, Lynnie!  Best to get this straight and I'm sure you must be right….especially over that ditsy holistic doc I went to who prescribed me bio-identical estradiol is huge doses. :sick: I don't bear malice, usually, but that guy really did a number on me. :headbang: 

Peace, Maz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ High BMI correlated with less joint damage’ is closed to new replies.