Home Forums General Discussion Herxing or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    motherbear
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My son has been prescibed 50mg of Doxy M,W,F. He is just coming up to the two week mark tomorrow and is in a great deal of pain. I don't know if this is a herx or not.

His symptoms are: Very weak painful muscles throughout his body and a strange tingling of his skin in his hand and arms with a sensation of burning. I am worried that this may be an reaction to Doxy. He has had muscle pain and weakness before but not to this degree.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Caroline.

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi Caroline,

Suggest you search on this site and forum – there will be info and discussions on how to differentiate herxing from a flare. It's all about symptoms vs lab results.

I do not have sufficient knowledge on this otherwise I would have given you more info straighaway. I am sure other more experienced members will soon help you, too.

Trudi
    Participant

[user=2147]motherbear[/user] wrote:

I don't know if this is a herx or not.

Hi Caroline–

Whenever I start a new treatment, my existing pain increases.  When I can't tolerate it anymore and reduce the dose, the pain lessens.  This is how I differentiate between a herx and the disease.

After starting treatment back in Oct '08, my right ring finger and pinky got a numb, tingly feeling.  I've had this on and off since. 

Having said all this, I wouldn't hesitate to call the doctor for his input.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

motherbear
    Participant

Thanks for the replies,

My GP wouldn't do anything except say come of the Doxy! His hands and arms don't look red or like they have a rash on them which is strange.

He has had this weakness and pain before but not to this extent. He has only just started the Doxy Trudi so I don't want to undo any work it may have done already.

Caroline.

motherbear
    Participant

Aynurrzepa,

Do you know where to look on this site for info on herxing?

I can't find it, thanks

Caroline

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi Motherbear,

You can try typing words “herxing” and “flaring” or “flare” in the search box above, lots of discussions on the topic will pop up for you to read. Try the same on the home page search.

motherbear
    Participant

Thanks Aynurrzepa,

I have found them but nothing shouts out with the symptoms he has.

caroline.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Caroline,

I am somewhat familiar (based on personal experience) with what your son is experiencing. Based on your description, it sounds like he is herxing. If he is in a lot of pain his dose may need to be temporarily reduced to 25 mg, or to 50 mg MF instead of MWF.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

motherbear
    Participant

Hi Phil,

thanks so much for your input. I am guessing you had similar symptoms. This actually makes me feel much more hopeful that Doxy will work for him.

Caroline.

heatherbell
    Participant

Hi Caroline,

I would definitely do what Phil suggested – just reduce the dose or cut back to two times a week, or both.  It does sound like a herx.  Good luck.

Kash
    Participant

I am so sorry you are having to go through this with your son. I find it to a lonely disease with so few LLMD 's, I can't imagine having your child be sick with this.

I remember my boys getting sick with some childhood disease or another and they always got the sickest a night, which made it harder.

I know there are others who have children with Lyme, my heart and prayers go out to you.

Hang in there and know ther are people who care. I may not have answers, but I have a big heart.

motherbear
    Participant

Hi heatherbell,

the more people that say it is a herx ,believe it or not the more relieved I am!

I was so worried that he was getting more unusual symtoms due to his AS. I will suggest he drops the dose as Phil said and hopefully get some relief.

(Am I right in thinking that if he is herxing then he is on the right antibiotic and we should expect results? )At least we can have a positive outlook on his herxing if that's true.

Take care.

Caroline

motherbear
    Participant

Hello Kash,

thank you for your kind words of support. I know we all feel alone going through something like this and it is so nice to have contact with people who know how we feel via RB.

My son has Ankylosing Spondylitis which has left us devastated but the fight goes on and as my Dad always says “PMA” that 's what gets you through life a positive mental attitude!”

I am trying hard to make sure I have many PMA days!

Happy to talk anytime.:)

Caroline

P.S love your dog! We have a Cocker Spaniel!

Kim
    Participant

[user=2147]motherbear[/user] wrote

My son has Ankylosing Spondylitis which has left us devastated but the fight goes on and as my Dad always says “PMA” that 's what gets you through life a positive mental attitude!”

I am trying hard to make sure I have many PMA days!

Your dad is a smart man, Caroline. :blush:  You should add PMA to your signature line.

Hope your son can get some relief soon so mom can get a break. 😕

Take care…..kim

motherbear
    Participant

Hi Kim,

Yes he's a smart old guy who I adore! 

Can I ask you a few questions.

Would you say with all your years of wisdom on RB that he is herxing?

Does this mean he will have a positive response.

How long as a rule do you herx for?

I ask as it is difficult with such little knowledge to answer his questions to me and I don't want to give him false hope but if it is on a positive I would love to use this response as encouragement.

He doesn't want to reduce his dose. He says he would rather go through more pain and get a quicker response to alleviate all his other symptoms.He's a tough guy!

Take care.

Caroline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ Herxing or not?’ is closed to new replies.