Home Forums General Discussion Headed to Lufkin, TX

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Blane
    Participant

Hi All,

I am bound for Lufkin TX in the next month or so.  Will be there for over two weeks.   Please advise on what to do for entertainment. Food, attractions, flea market…what ever you got.  Don't know if I'll feel up to it but just in case.  Thanks.

Any other advise for the trip is appreciated.  Thanks….Blane

linda
    Participant

It's too bad that Houston is so far from San Antonio, 4 hrs. The Riverwalk, Alamo, Spurs games, food, etc is so great. Maybe you could catch a Rockets game in Houston. You're also not too far from Corpus Christi, you could hit the beach.   Edit: ooops, my bad, I didn't realize how far north of Houston you will be. Corpus is way far away. Good luck with your therapy,

linda

GayG
    Participant

Blane, I wish I had better news for you but there really isn't a whole lot to do in Lufkin….they have a zoo, shopping, restaurants, and movie theaters.  I took some books and the 10 days I was there I relaxed, shopped, ate, went to movies, got a manicure…..I really took advantage of all of that “alone downtime” and I really enjoyed it!! I have never had that much time to myself and may never get it again…..Here's the website though, http://www.cityoflufkin.com/

You may venture out and find something there that I didn't….East Texas is beautiful and I probably should have gotten my map out and driven out of town and done some exploring but I didn't do that. I noticed on the map there is a lake close by in that area that might make an interesting drive.  The people are very friendly…..Watch the lights on the main drag in front of the hospital…they have cameras and I was in total la,la land and ran a red light and had no idea until I got the ticket in the mail!….Have a good trip…Gay

Blane
    Participant

Thanks Linda, Yes I wish Corpus Christie was closer!….Blane

Blane
    Participant

Gay, Thank you .  And nice tip on the cameras on road in front of hospital. 

I imagine I'll stay at the hospice place again,behind the hospital. Will go see the zoo.   Any restaurant favorites?  ie cheap but good?  Blane

GayG
    Participant

That's where I stayed when I was there and you can't beat the room rate, plus they have a laundry room, and a small library in the back of the office!  I was trying to think about the restaurants I liked when I was there…I ate at Outback Steakhouse one night and it was pretty good (but they are kind of pricey), Applebee's is always good…They only have one place for breakfast and that's IHop and it's good too.

I tried Red Lobster one night and it wasn't very good…..Chinese food was the best and most reasonably priced dinner I had when I was there but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the restaurant or the road it was on…the staff in dr. K. office will know though….Enjoy your stay.  I may check out the zoo the next time I'm there!…Gay

Blackwolf
    Participant

Hi Gay, I am new to the bulletin board but was very interested that you have gone to Dr. K. in Lufkin Texas. Can I expect to be there over a week? Please tell me that you found this doctor to be really good when it comes to the antibiotic therapy.

I  am a little confused whether to expect the IV therapy while I am there….. I have had RA  since 1997. Anyway, I kind of know what to expect now for entertainment in Lufkin. Thanks Andrea

edited by admin: changed doc's name to doc's initial.

Starr
    Participant

Blane and Blackwolf,
    I highly recommend Dr. K. She will suggest IV if she feels it might “kickstart” your AP treatment. Lufkin is a pretty boring town but Nacogdoches is next door and is a very interesting, old town. The arboretum at the university there is beautiful in Spring and there might be some good music happening in town. If you care to drive 2 hours to Canton, you can attend the world's largest flea market on the 4 days preceeding the first Monday of every month.
    Best wishes to you both.

Blackwolf
    Participant

Starr Thank you for your reply. I am thrilled to hear this about Dr.K and I can't wait to get started with this. I love that part of Texas it is really beautiful so I think I will find some things to do…..I agree Lufkin sounds pretty boring. All of you people on the bulletin board are so helpful and encouraging. Thanks so much and I will be keeping all of you posted. Andrea

GayG
    Participant

Good morning Blackwolf….I do see Dr.. K. in Lufkin and I love her and she has a great office staff as well!…She is very knowledgeable about AP therapy and will recommend that if she feels that's what you need.  I just saw her last week for a follow-up visit and she says I'm stable and have had many improvements and she thinks I will continue to improve (she sais “give it at least a year”)…I just finished my 8th month of AP and am doing well enough to take a trip to NY City over spring break!.  I saw Dr. K.  last October for 10 days and got IV Clindamycin which I believe has “jump started” my road to recovery because, even though I have had a few bumps in the road since then I have also improved greatly from where I was,…..

AND thanks to Starr for mentioning Nacagcoches….next time I'm in Lufkin I'll have too visit there and the aboretum at the University (I didn't know about either of those) and it would be nice to have something different to do since not much goes on in Lufkin…..I have to say though that I live in the very busy and very crowded DFW Metroplex area and I really enjoy my drives and visits to East Texas….it's beautiful in East Texas and it's a lot more laid back that living in the big city!…..Blessings and have a safe trip!…Gay:D

Blackwolf
    Participant

Good morning Gay

Thank you so much for the information….you have really answered what I wanted to hear about Dr. k in Lufkin. I am so happy that your treatment is working and going well for you. I am excited about getting started with this. I know that this is a long and most likely a slow journey but I expect this so I am ready. After reading the book and all the information on The Roadback it makes sense about the clindamycin IV therapy. I am ready to dive in and get back to race walking.

Nacagdoches is beautiful and I look forward to checking it out again after so many years. I am originally from Texas and am very familiar with that part of Texas as my brother lived there for a couple of years.

You have been so very helpful and I love hearing about your improvement on this therapy. Take care and I will be in touch with you. Thanks Gay……  Andrea

darnell
    Participant

Hello Gay, You said you were in Lufkin for two weeks. I guess you might see Dr.RK?

I go there to see her, but I just see her for a regular type visit. I take Minocin 100mg Bid. for 4 months . Did you start on IV therapy? How are you doing? I feel so new at this that I don;t probably know the correct questions to ask.

Darnell ( female), Strange name

davew
    Participant

I see that Starr has mentioned Nacogdoches and I recommend visiting the town as well. I have a friend who lives there and we spent a few hours seeing the historical areas and if you have any interest in Civil War history, there is quite a bit there.

Good eats too!

Dave

GayG
    Participant

Sorry for the delay…….I did go to see Dr. K…I can't say enough good things about her and her staff…….I started minocin 100 mg twice a day in June of 2007 so this summer will be my second year on therapy…..In Ocotber of 2007 I went to Dr. K and got

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Gay–

Congratulations on your marriage.  How romantic–Valentine's Day!!

It is a real joy to read of your wonderful progress.  “Thank you God” does pretty much sum it up and I, too, say those words often.

Wishing you continued improvement–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘ Headed to Lufkin, TX’ is closed to new replies.